Have you heard the S4/S5 rumour...

Granted, and very rapid A to B in a straight line, however,
And this is genuine, and honestly not taking the wee,,
But in standard guise, do they not go around corners like a bath full of water?
Asking for a friend....

Tell your 'friend' to try out an SQ5 plus, corners superbly, sports diff helps. Brakes could be better mind you.

Reactions: NevMan
Granted, and very rapid A to B in a straight line, however,
And this is genuine, and honestly not taking the wee,,
But in standard guise, do they not go around corners like a bath full of water?
Asking for a friend....

Think you are talk g about disco’s or similar. As others have said, most of them have pretty much same suspension etc as “normal” cars, but granted with raised driving height never going to “perform” like a S3 etc. But do t knock one until you have tried as they say, you may be pleasantly surprised

I was able to do this on my S4 Avant as well, you just had to be within a certain range to close it but could open it from as far as it could read the key signal.

Depends on the electronics the mode has, bit like the low, medium and high headunit, so some models have the keys that can open and close boot, others like my bathtub, Great Wall of china boat cannot

Tell your 'friend' to try out an SQ5 plus, corners superbly, sports diff helps. Brakes could be better mind you.

+1- add to that the optional air suspension to lower and stiffen according to drive mode

******!! just tried it and it does both open & close. Obviously not holding down the button long enough.
Ta!

No worries! Annoying though that you can accidentally open it from inside the house or something but you can’t then close it without going out to the car... Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Headzup and paul wev
No worries! Annoying though that you can accidentally open it from inside the house or something but you can’t then close it without going out to the car... Haha.
Have this knack of whenever reaching for the drink bottle in the driver's door, I invariably touch the tailgate button just enough to open it. Recently I did it whilst stopped at a set of traffic lights, got out to close it, except a bus was stopped behind me with only shuffling room between it & the S4. He gave me a look (quite reminiscent of SWMBO, actually). I just gave him a shrug of the shoulders and ensured the tailgate closed properly.
Now I can remain in the S4.

Slow day or nothing to do??? ;-)

Have this knack of whenever reaching for the drink bottle in the driver's door, I invariably touch the tailgate button just enough to open it. Recently I did it whilst stopped at a set of traffic lights, got out to close it, except a bus was stopped behind me with only shuffling room between it & the S4. He gave me look (quite reminiscent of SWMBO, actually). I just gave him a shrug of the shoulders and ensured the tailgate closed properly.
Now I can remain in the S4.

Slow day or nothing to do??? ;-)

You can also hold the boot switch from the inside to close it if needs be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SMI77
What is really annoying with the S5 though is with the waggy foot boot open/close thing is when you lean into the boot with the keys in your pocket and then you hear a beeping noise as the boot is closing on top of you, catches the wife out the most when I am stood at the side of her (and no I don't press the button!) ;)

Reactions: CHEZ, NevMan and paul wev
The provenance of this is hardly concrete but thought it worth posting anyway. It's a google translation from German forum thread, https://www.motor-talk.de.

@thoshy wrote on March 20, 2019 at 09:20:13 clock:
Have just learned from the friend that the S4 TDI and S5 TDI should be ordered from April and as expected deployment date is sliding called in late May.
That's what my dealer told me. :)
I'm very satisfied with that and hope for good prices from the manufacturer (for the "old" body)

:wtf:

S4 TDI... In the current anti diesel climate that sounds like a stupid move. So stupid I don’t believe it. I had an SQ5 TDI, amazing engine amazing car - but it misses the point to put that in an S4, in the same way when they put the petrol engine to the SQ5. It drove better with stupid amounts of diesel torque, suited the car.

Reactions: CHEZ and NevMan
What is really annoying with the S5 though is with the waggy foot boot open/close thing is when you lean into the boot with the keys in your pocket and then you hear a beeping noise as the boot is closing on top of you, catches the wife out the most when I am stood at the side of her (and no I don't press the button!) ;)

Lol that tickled me.
Sorry :bye:

looks like the new V6 in the Porsche Macan is the going to be shared in the VW group albeit maybe some tweaking. But it is definitely there

looks like the new V6 in the Porsche Macan is the going to be shared in the VW group albeit maybe some tweaking. But it is definitely there
New?? Porsche Macan - a reworked version of the Volkswagen Group's 2.0-litre inline-four EA888 engine.
New?? Porsche Macan S - 3.0l turbo V6 developed by Audi for the B9 S4, incl exhaust flaps, since 2016. Not even mild-hybrid as in 2018 Audi A6/A8.

Gawd they look cheap SUV's!!

Last edited:
According to German Insurance provider HUK24, from March it's diesel with 347PS:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-09 at 18.39.20.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-09 at 18.39.20.png
    510 KB · Views: 314
I'm surprised, insurance companies are never the first to know about new models. Would it not need type approval first?

The provenance of this is hardly concrete but thought it worth posting anyway. It's a google translation from German forum thread, https://www.motor-talk.de.
@thoshy wrote on March 20, 2019 at 09:20:13 clock:
Have just learned from the friend that the S4 TDI and S5 TDI should be ordered from April and as expected deployment date is sliding called in late May.
That's what my dealer told me. :)
I'm very satisfied with that and hope for good prices from the manufacturer (for the "old" body)

According to German Insurance provider HUK24, from March it's diesel with 347PS:

Interesting that both these are from German sources.
347PS is the bigger turbo '19 SQ5 TDI power unit, which makes sense.
Begs the question - will they fit a bigger turbo to the 3.0 v6 TFSI mild-hybrid, currently in the A6/A8, for the next S4/S5? After all, they are a "S".

Do find it strange though that there has not been any Audi Media Centre release.

Last edited:
Media release for the new S6 and S7, as first revealed on my IG last Autumn (got to get a plug in, just not an Etron kind of plug-in...) but dismissed by many... is now on their website.

They are diesel.

Reactions: tickedon and Thundercliffe81
Very strange if it does indeed all turn out to be true. In one market it's a 450bhp petrol car with an RS4 engine whilst in another its a sub 350bhp diesel. I certainly would have no interest in an S6 if this is accurate. Rather have a 55TFSI petrol and save a heap of cash.

Yup looks like this is the only solution for them to get past WLTP. Seems crazy.

Yup looks like this is the only solution for them to get past WLTP. Seems crazy.
I think they've lost their collective minds, for two reasons:

(a) S models are meant to be for enthusiasts, who I can't imagine are going to be very happy with a TDI
(b) 5.1s 0-60 for the S6 Avant (and therefore probably another 1/4s faster for the S4 if they go down the same route)? My v6 272 TDI A4 does 0-60 in 5.4s, why in God's name would I pay the extra for a S4 if that's the only performance gain I'm going to get (disregarding any tech upgrades in the facelift etc.)?

I think they've lost their collective minds, for two reasons:

(a) S models are meant to be for enthusiasts, who I can't imagine are going to be very happy with a TDI
(b) 5.1s 0-60 for the S6 Avant (and therefore probably another 1/4s faster for the S4 if they go down the same route)? My v6 272 TDI A4 does 0-60 in 5.4s, why in God's name would I pay the extra for a S4 if that's the only performance gain I'm going to get (disregarding any tech upgrades in the facelift etc.)?

It is madness. The previous S6 was a 450bhp petrol V8. It looks like this one will lose 100bhp and go diesel? Far better to take a 50tdi and add a tuning box and end up with almost the same performance and save something like £10,ooo.
Cant see this model doing well at all and it certainly doesnt create any sort of halo effect. At least the USA market gets the right car if this is indeed all accurate.

Media release for the new S6 and S7, as first revealed on my IG last Autumn (got to get a plug in, just not an Etron kind of plug-in...) but dismissed by many... is now on their website.

They are diesel.
Literally went to share your IG post and you've just done it haha.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: audittsquattro
It is madness. The previous S6 was a 450bhp petrol V8. It looks like this one will lose 100bhp and go diesel? Far better to take a 50tdi and add a tuning box and end up with almost the same performance and save something like £10,ooo.
Cant see this model doing well at all and it certainly doesnt create any sort of halo effect. At least the USA market gets the right car if this is indeed all accurate.

Very true, 3.0 TDI, tuning box, full sports exhaust and £8k-£10k in your pocket!

Guys. I've said before, don't seccumb to the tech and the 'newness'. Bag yourself a 450bhp V8 S6 with massive tuning and sound capability for an absolute steal on auto trader. I'm ****** tempted if I'm being honest. Until RS6 is obtainable. APR stage 1, Res delete or AWE Touring exhaust. Lower 20mm in VCDS. Monster!

These things might start depreciating a bit less now. Not sure. Audi are killing a segment and will introduce more EV platforms to replace them. The RS will last another generation with petrol and hybrid. Although, where does all this leave the facelift RS4? Does that get away with it as it will be built in smaller amounts?

It's an absolute shame.

Reactions: Riko0073, Terminator x and NevMan
Thinhg is the S models generally have the same bodykit and styling as the S-Line. Other than a couple of badges and quad pipes there's now little way in distinction to order one of these.

BMW have never made any distinction in the past with their hotter models just being badged the same but with bigger engine designations (440i etc). But they've gone the other way with the M sub range, as has Merc, so Audi are literally going in the opposite direction to everyone else.

They must feel that as Diesel is still big in Europe that there's going to be enough of appetite to sell significant numbers on the continent but certainly in the UK S4/5/6/7 will be much rarer cars than they were before.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and NevMan
They didnt even stick the SQ7 diesel in it. That would have softened the diesel blow a bit.

Reactions: paul wev, Thundercliffe81 and NevMan
They didnt even stick the SQ7 diesel in it. That would have softened the diesel blow a bit.

Now that is a beast! One came past me the other day like I was standing still, and I was travelling at (legal) motorway speed

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Not just the US, but the rest of the world outside UK/Europe will get the RS4/5, with mild-hybrid incl EPC, including Oz.
As Audi Oz have already indicated the SQ5 will have 3.0 v6 petrol & diesel engines available here. It may well be a similar situation for the S4, TDI in UK/Europe & petrol elsewhere.
See our S4 as our last motor, but still feel for you guys, together with the desecration of an excellent sporting vehicle.

To reiterate - motor manufacturers build vehicles they want to build, not what the customer wants and will also screw anybody, at every opportunity.

Reactions: NevMan, Thundercliffe81 and Simonwhite2000
Thinhg is the S models generally have the same bodykit and styling as the S-Line. Other than a couple of badges and quad pipes there's now little way in distinction to order one of these.

BMW have never made any distinction in the past with their hotter models just being badged the same but with bigger engine designations (440i etc). But they've gone the other way with the M sub range, as has Merc, so Audi are literally going in the opposite direction to everyone else.

They must feel that as Diesel is still big in Europe that there's going to be enough of appetite to sell significant numbers on the continent but certainly in the UK S4/5/6/7 will be much rarer cars than they were before.
Yeah the M340i with 4 wheel drive and 380bhp is it? That is a great car I'd like to see/test.

But I'd just buy a used V8 S6 instead. You're right though, how can't Audi do what everyone else is? It's easy to say, it will make more RS sales but not really. Just because Id want a new RS4, doesn't mean I could afford it haha. Madness all this.

The frustrating thing for me about all of this is that it isn't really cars that are polluting the planet it is Big Business. The performance car industry is gradually being killed off (WLTP then speed limiters then leccy cars then autonomous cars etc). Cars seem to graduating towards a product that you simply order from your mobile when you need one. Damn shame as others have said.

TX.

Reactions: NevMan and Thundercliffe81