Have you heard the S4/S5 rumour...

I can't believe this chat about a derv S4. I mean, I kind of get why the last SQ5 was a diesel but even Audi saw sense in that with the current version.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm thinking about whats next for me and right now its either a Golf R or a BMW 340. If I was to change to a newer S4 it would either be pretty much exactly the same as I've got or diesel.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I’ve said from the outset “no way will it be a diesel” but it’s looking more and more like it might actually happen.

I still can’t quite believe it. Auditography photographs Audi’s all over the world and is definitely in the know. If there really is a diesel S6 coming out for Europe and a petrol for ROTW then that tells us everything we need to know....

Suppose it solves the problem of the S5 and RS5 bring too similar but it really is madness who’s going to go for a diesel S5 when you can have a 440i X-drive or C43 4matic for similar money???

Reactions: RB84, Thundercliffe81, NevMan and 1 other person
Was at my local dealership today and they also confirmed the next range of S series cars will be diesel.

Don't think the US market will stand for diesel S & RS models (Not that it's a big market)

It's not like Audi have managed to alienate Audi petrol heads before is it :whistle2:

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and NevMan
It's not like Audi have managed to alienate Audi petrol heads before is it :whistle2:

Think I might dabble with the RS6 Performance after my RS4 but in all honesty, the 2019 C63S is an epic, special car. Even interior wise, it just feels and looks more special. Never thought I'd say it. Bull of the market, Audi is better. But S and RS have lost it ya know. For the 'special' feeling anyway. C43 is a decent rival for the S as is. Never mind if the S4 goes Diesel! Jeez Louise. AMG and M must be licking their lips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Riko0073, cuke2u and NevMan
Just cancelled my S4 'order' after 4.5 months waiting for a date or even any information. Audi customer service were worse than useless. Dealer also mentioned unprompted that it was going to be a bi-turbo diesel.

Definitely happy with my decision now!

Reactions: NevMan, Thundercliffe81 and Zippytoo
Just cancelled my S4 'order' after 4.5 months waiting for a date or even any information. Audi customer service were worse than useless. Dealer also mentioned unprompted that it was going to be a bi-turbo diesel.

That’s fair enough. You want my one?

Reactions: NevMan and Thundercliffe81
Think I might dabble with the RS6 Performance after my RS4 but in all honesty, the 2019 C63S is an epic, special car. Even interior wise, it just feels and looks more special. Never thought I'd say it. Bull of the market, Audi is better. But S and RS have lost it ya know. For the 'special' feeling anyway. C43 is a decent rival for the S as is. Never mind if the S4 goes Diesel! Jeez Louise. AMG and M must be licking their lips.

I can sympathise with anyone who goes over to the dark side, Audi just seem to be so detached from it's buying public and are making decisions that 'they' or marketing think, instead of listening to genuine petrol heads such as yourself.
As I tend never to buy the same car twice, and with this going on, my decision in the summer is going to be hard.
Oh and just read somewhere else the just released facelifted TT may also be the last as Audi will be concentrating upon SUV's and EV's.
Talk about nails in coffins :scared2:

Sorry you've been mucked about mate. At least you know and weren't left collecting a huge surprise. God, I hope that doesn't actually happen to somebody.

I can sympathise with anyone who goes over to the dark side, Audi just seem to be so detached from it's buying public and are making decisions that 'they' or marketing think, instead of listening to genuine petrol heads such as yourself.
As I tend never to buy the same car twice, and with this going on, my decision in the summer is going to be hard.
Oh and just read somewhere else the just released facelifted TT may also be the last as Audi will be concentrating upon SUV's and EV's.
Talk about nails in coffins :scared2:

Yes mate. I said that a little while ago actually. But it was unfounded. Still, as unfounded as the S4 diesel rumours. So, I still expect it to be true. The last R8 and last TT as, as you say, it's EV/SUV now. It's not a question of them not knowing what the petrolheads want. They absolutely do. But they do not care. They've set their sights and people like me are going to be dinosaurs haha.

I think we just need to think like they are. Maybe that will make it easier to understand their crazy decisions. All about the tech fest now mate.

Reactions: no_idea
Definitely about the interior tech, at least there will always be preowned....

Last edited:
He's circling already

Well he has until March when it’s traded in, I’ll let it go for whatever will pay off the remaining finance.

I know these two articles are not new to most readers:
https://www.carwow.co.uk/audi/a4/news/3918/audi-a4-facelift-price-specs-release-date
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121068_2021-audi-s4-avant-spy-shots
...but they do make me all the more sure that my lease S4, ordered April 2018, will now be a 2020 model and not be available until at least August, more likely at least September (whether petrol or diesel!). It just doesn't seem probable that Audi will build a 'current' S4 model for a period of less than 6 months. I've just extended my Golf R again, which at £215pm doesn't make the ongoing wait too great a hardship. Still frustrating though!

We’ll be cancelling my Wife’s S4 order tomorrow, been an absolute joke since we ordered end of June.
Going to look at the C43 Estate and GLC43 in the morning.

Reactions: RB84, Thundercliffe81 and NevMan
We’ll be cancelling my Wife’s S4 order tomorrow, been an absolute joke since we ordered end of June.

Defo check out the facelift C43 estate. The coupe tried keeping up with me (bless him) the other day but when I turned off, he booted it past me and, I gotta say, it does sound really really good. I like the current S4 exhaust. It's got a lovely motor too.

But the C43 was more exciting (sound wise). I was quite taken back actually.

Reactions: Terminator x and NevMan
So if the B9.5/B10/Bwhatever S4 is a diesel, what will the impact be on the market value of used B9 S4s?

So if the B9.5/B10/Bwhatever S4 is a diesel, what will the impact be on the market value of used B9 S4s?

I think the B9 could hold quite well. If the B9.5/10 has all the A6 tech in then, obviously it's gonna sell but the petrol lovers will want to snap up a B9.

I test drove a glc220 and it felt a bit rough, I'm sure the glc43 will be a different proposition. It makes an amazing noise!

this was a rumour btw, it was scare mongering from 2 dealers. This was confirmed on pistonheads. Not sure why it was started in the first place or continued for so long.

Agree the C43 is all noise, but is actually less enjoyable to drive. Mindful that one can DTUK both.
WLTP has hit Merc hard in Oz, particularly 'C' series. Don't think Merc-AMG sedans being made in South Africa will help. So do your homework first.

this was a rumour btw, it was scare mongering from 2 dealers. This was confirmed on pistonheads. Not sure why it was started in the first place or continued for so long.
Link?

And why are more and more dealers confirming it and people are cancelling orders? People wouldn't cancel an order they've had since last June for a rumour or a maybe. I know I wouldn't anyway.

I'm not convinced by this at all, I call ********. The only feasible explanation I see here is dealers trying to incentivise selling whatever stock they have now for FOMO. Or Audi want to make the 'S' platform less desirable because in a few years they will launch some souped up 'E' range to be the halo product.

I'm not convinced by this at all, I call ********. The only feasible explanation I see here is dealers trying to incentivise selling whatever stock they have now for FOMO. Or Audi want to make the 'S' platform less desirable because in a few years they will launch some souped up 'E' range to be the halo product.

The latter reason is why mate. Trust me. Haha.

Reactions: tickedon and NevMan
I am pretty convinced the S4 S5 will be diesel. Not sure about the s6 as surely they would have to use the SQ7 engine.

I think it'll be a shame if audi do convert to diesel on the S models, they will however be looking at the bigger picture when making their decisions and not just a snapshot of enthusiasts who are diehard petrol fans.
As an owner of a diesel "S" car, I can appreciate the grunt from the bitdi and I don't really care the noise from the exhaust is fake as it sounds decent imo. The car is quick for for its size and makes me giggle lol!
It makes more sense in a 2 tonne SUV than a typical road car but it's not really the sporty delivery that you get from a tuned free reving petrol engine.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, NevMan and paul wev

Attachments

• 20190209_153310.jpg
    20190209_153310.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 368
Mmm, I wouldn't say that's really evidence either way. Although it is possibly true what is needed is a statement from either AudiUK or AudiDE...

Reactions: RB84 and Thundercliffe81
Not going to be diesel. Audi are testing with the petrol/hybrid setup around 420bhp. Similar to the Porsche Panamera E Hybrid setup.

Reactions: cuke2u
We have seen no such tests though, either of the diesel or the hybrids. They don't just shoehorn an engine in then sit back without testing...

I see people talk about the c43 lots here as a comparable vehicle! If you value quattro or Subaru quality all wheel drive, you should discount the c43 immediately - lots of problems with rhd drive cars - particularly in the cold ! Google it ....

Cancelled my S4 order on Saturday.
The dealer was apologetic and said he’s had a few other cancellations the past week. He though we’d be lucky to see S4’s this side of July! Crazy.
I mentioned the diesel rumour, first he’d heard of it. Said he would very highly doubt they’d make that big a change.

Came back from my dealer today after enquiring about the s5, he said there’s a rumour it could be diesel, but it’s just that. They will find out next month what the changes are. He explained the reason for the delay was that the new regulators for the WLTP only have 3 test centres in the whole of Europe, so there’s a massive back log, and Audi have obviously pushed their mainstream cars through first.

Reactions: NevMan, Zippytoo and Thundercliffe81
Diesels are old news.
Fact.
Why on earth any manufacturer would revert back to a fuel that has had its day does not make sense.
On one hand, as a marketing ploy, many manufacturers are probably sat on way too many diesel units that are financially viable to hold in stock granted,
But that is not our problem if they decided to make more than the market can consume, but to burden the paying public with old fashioned power plants is just laughable.
In the real world, moving forward, it is all about electric and hybrid.
How many hybrid vehicles use a little diesel engine as the generator?
No decent ones I can think of.
It's always a little petrol unit.
Secondly, why have all the major car manufacturers seen a dramatic down turn in diesel sales?
For example, the latest, closer example to us having a hard time is land rover, jag.
They have been hit hard over diesel sale slumps, as everyone else, its a sign of the times.
So,,
Why on earth would audi push for diesel engines to be used in there flagship cars?

Exactly..

It is all a load of bobbins..
At most, they have put the performance line on the back burner while the emmisions certificates get issued on the lesser powered, better selling brethren, hence the fact you cannot spec, nor order a high performance S or RS model, for the time being
The time being, that is all.
There is no way on this earth they will be using diesel power as an alternative fuel for these cars.
Totally illogical.
Patience people, and don't believe the rumours just yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan, Zippytoo, paul wev and 2 others
I very much doubt it will be a diesel despite what my dealer had heard. I still cancelled the 'order' though as nobody could tell my when the car would be built, what it would look like and what it would cost.

I spoke with Audi customer services yesterday and they had no clue either to any of those questions. Shambles

Reactions: NevMan
Unfortunately it seems Audi may well be producing a 'double whammy' with facelifts.If it seems that we are now getting another in the next 12 months then there was the delay last year caused by the most recent FL and the WLTP tests.
Audi sure know how to pee off customers.