Have you heard the S4/S5 rumour...

Well, if this is true include me in the "disappointed" group: was thinking S4 to replace my 272 diesel when the PCP is up later this year - have been waiting patiently for the facelift details to emerge. No idea what I'll do now: hand back the current car and look at approved used S4, or look at another brand? Change of job means I don't do enough mileage to warrant a diesel any more and I was looking forward to having a petrol again after a few years of oil-burners (although, to be fair, I have really liked my 272). Can't afford to go RS, unfortunately (not anywhere near new anyway and I'm a bit wary of an older used one, plus the v8 is probably a bit too thirsty). Damn it...

Reactions: akk_0091
Don’t change your plans until you hear it straight from the horses mouth.

Reactions: NevMan, cuke2u and Thundercliffe81
Yeah, fair point. will need to start thinking about what to do pretty soon though as with then long lead times for orders at the moment I reckon I'll need to order in March/early April to get the new one through for when my current one needs to go back. Having said that they'd more then likely extend the PCP on my current car if I had an order in that I'm waiting for, right?

Exactly, although with the new new facelift coming at the end of the year I wonder if another delay is going to happen to A4 orders...

Ask them.

On that note, and I certainly hope it's the case, anybody with a current order in, 'should' be notified of a major change like this.

I.e. If a completely different power unit is to be used (let's be honest, if it's a derv, it's a completely different car) then Audi should be warning off its customers. As nobody has really had this official notification (from what I'm reading), I'd suspect it could really be a way off. They surely arnt just going to drop a diesel S4/5 on our roads and hope nobody notices. This is a big deal and will have further repercussions. They'll lose petrolheads on one hand and gain Diesel fans on the other. But then they'll lose 272 power unit diesel customers moving towards a diesel S4/5. It's a bit of a mess and ANY change is going to be temporary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two dealerships have informed customers orders of the S4/5 will result in a oil burner...

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Two dealerships have informed customers orders of the S4/5 will result in a oil burner...

Yeah I know. But it doesn't sound official. More like dealer reps that have overheard things or are higher up the chain etc.

Yeah I know. But it doesn't sound official. More like dealer reps that have overheard things or are higher up the chain etc.

Are both dealerships in the same parent company, or different groups? Could all be a misunderstanding

One was Sterling Audi, the other not sure. Another dealership in London stated this was on the cards March 2018 but not heard anything since..

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and DaveW
Could this be an attempt by some dealerships/salesmen to try and move their current stock of S4/5, if any? I mean bless them but certain sales guys can and will apply certain degree of cunningness in hunt for sales in times when orders are probably drying up (?)

Reactions: tickedon, paul wev, Terminator x and 1 other person
Dealership has had my S4 deposit for 4 months now and been unable to place an order on the system. I get a monthly call from them with zero news.

I dropped Audi customer care an email last week about this issue and timings on S4 production. Hopefully should hear back in the next day or two.

Any news about a diesel S4 and I'll be getting that deposit straight back. The new M340i touring will come with X-Drive so it's now a real competitor and probably be no later delivery.

Reactions: tickedon, NevMan, RB84 and 1 other person
Could this be an attempt by some dealerships/salesmen to try and move their current stock of S4/5, if any? I mean bless them but certain sales guys can and will apply certain degree of cunningness in hunt for sales in times when orders are probably drying up (?)

I'd be pretty damn annoyed if i found out they'd done that haha.

Dealership has had my S4 deposit for 4 months now and been unable to place an order on the system. I get a monthly call from them with zero news.

I dropped Audi customer care an email last week about this issue and timings on S4 production. Hopefully should hear back in the next day or two.

Any news about a diesel S4 and I'll be getting that deposit straight back. The new M340i touring will come with X-Drive so it's now a real competitor and probably be no later delivery.

380bhp and speccing the M Performance exhaust is a hard thing to ignore

Reactions: NevMan
One was Sterling Audi, the other not sure. Another dealership in London stated this was on the cards March 2018 but not heard anything since..
I think mine is the other order being referred to and I can confirm it's a different dealership - in the Home Counties. I honestly didn't get the impression it was the dealer trying to push me towards another option (though I can't be certain, obviously).

I did precisely the same thing last week and spoke with a CS rep - long story short being that she could not even begin to give a me an idea of a date!

If there is no order in the system, exactly what is the purpose of the deposit?

Reactions: tickedon, NevMan and Thundercliffe81

Hmm, if I was you mate I would plumb for the M340i touring with x-drive now Too many unknowns with whether there will/won’t be S4/S5 until potentially new model, whereas at least the beemer is a known model/option. Not been a BM fan, but the new 3 and X series have much better interiors

Reactions: tickedon and Thundercliffe81
+2

I will seriously consider the new 340i in a tourer with that new interior and the performance quoted ...M spec exhaust sounds good to!

Reactions: NevMan and Thundercliffe81
Seems BM have finally took a stab at it haha. M3 Touring is all that's left now

Reactions: NevMan and Riko0073
My order for the S4 was placed at east kent audi who when questioned by me confirmed the new S4/S5 will be a diesel. I have since cancelled my order.

I was also told by another Audi dealership in Boston that they have refunded all their customers deposits for th3 S4/S5's since being informed of the diesel replacing the petrol unit.

My order for the S4 was placed at east kent audi who when questioned by me confirmed the new S4/S5 will be a diesel. I have since cancelled my order.

I was also told by another Audi dealership in Boston that they have refunded all their customers deposits for th3 S4/S5's since being informed of the diesel replacing the petrol unit.

Farce. Glad they're reacting to it though.

Reactions: NevMan and Shoaib-88
Hmm, if I was you mate I would plumb for the M340i touring with x-drive now Too many unknowns with whether there will/won’t be S4/S5 until potentially new model, whereas at least the beemer is a known model/option. Not been a BM fan, but the new 3 and X series have much better interiors

The staff discount helps too. My wife works for BMW and has a 340i at the moment - X4 M40i coming in 3 weeks time so I get an extended test drive of the engine .

The only things that swung me towards the S4 (apart from driving TTs for the last 15 years) was 4wd and the electronic handbrake. New 3 series has both those so.... Just gotta wait until the launch in the autumn.

Reactions: tickedon, NevMan, paul wev and 1 other person
so basically it looks as if the new S4 will not have a petrol engine. bonkers

Reactions: NevMan, Terminator x, Simonwhite2000 and 1 other person
I really am going to try and extend my S5 lease now. If not the new 340 touring looks a good bet even though I'm not a fan of the interior or that ghastly digital dash. New S6 would be nice but doubt I can stretch that far

Reactions: NevMan
The staff discount helps too. My wife works for BMW and has a 340i at the moment - X4 M40i coming in 3 weeks time so I get an extended test drive of the engine .

The only things that swung me towards the S4 (apart from driving TTs for the last 15 years) was 4wd and the electronic handbrake. New 3 series has both those so.... Just gotta wait until the launch in the autumn.

No brainier it seems. Being an SUV man at the mo, I am a fan of the X3 M40i Let us know your thoughts when you have driven

I really am going to try and extend my S5 lease now. If not the new 340 touring looks a good bet even though I'm not a fan of the interior or that ghastly digital dash. New S6 would be nice but doubt I can stretch that far

Might not be a bad shout mate, extending until things settle down

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Simonwhite2000
If this is anything to go by..

I follow this page called auditography on instagram and the owner of the page mentioned a new s6 tdi?

Unless he has some inside info I don't know, but he has a big following and seems to be in contact with Audi

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190202-221813.png
    Screenshot_20190202-221813.png
    846.4 KB · Views: 331

I follow this page called auditography on instagram and the owner of the page mentioned a new s6 tdi?

Unless he has some inside info I don't know, but he has a big following and seems to be in contact with Audi

Interesting! The new S6 was supposed to have the RS4 RS5 engine. Hmm. Surely with diesel declining it's a bit mad for Audi to get rid of a chunk of their petrol engines and only.offer diesels. The 55tfsi has disappeared in the A7 didn't make it to the A6 and hasn't come to the Q8 either.

Interesting! The new S6 was supposed to have the RS4 RS5 engine. Hmm. Surely with diesel declining it's a bit mad for Audi to get rid of a chunk of their petrol engines and only.offer diesels. The 55tfsi has disappeared in the A7 didn't make it to the A6 and hasn't come to the Q8 either.

Isn't the 55 coming still? I'm sure it was supposed to be released at some point?

The thing is in theory powerful diesels do make sense in big cars like those.

But at the same time diesel has been demonised a lot in the past few years so I'm so curious to know what's gonna happen!

Hopefully they'll offer both diesel and petrol versions to keep both diesel n petrol fans happy!

I'm all for a diesel version of an s7 but hope that the petrol also stays for all the petrol fans out there

The 55 did come briefly to the A7 but vanished. No eta for it coming back as yet from what I hear Both diesel and petrol ok for the S6 but not just diesel. I'm hoping it's all BS

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and syed123

I've physically heard the S6 (2.9 TFSI) on various ring videos. I've not heard the TDI. Or seen it. But I've followed Auditography for time now on YouTube and Insta and, I agree, he's very knowledgable and has access to info.

The EU laws are frankly, pathetic and are stifling what makes a Performance car 'fun'. Numbers in paper are a small part of the whole.

Meh. Haha. Honestly, my advice to all is...get yourself in the used market and grab yourself a V8 S6/7, RS4 B8.5, C63/M3 (any generation) etc and just enjoy the real drama of a performance car. Don't be tempted in by all these touch screens and über tech haha. That stuff is gonna be around for decades to come. These cracking engines will not Rant over haha. But with this news, Im just waiting for the C63 to drop a 4 pot. Then...it's all over

Reactions: Gary_LB, RB84, akk_0091 and 4 others
I've physically heard the S6 (2.9 TFSI) on various ring videos. I've not heard the TDI. Or seen it. But I've followed Auditography for time now on YouTube and Insta and, I agree, he's very knowledgable and has access to info.

The EU laws are frankly, pathetic and are stifling what makes a Performance car 'fun'. Numbers in paper are a small part of the whole.

Meh. Haha. Honestly, my advice to all is...get yourself in the used market and grab yourself a V8 S6/7, RS4 B8.5, C63/M3 (any generation) etc and just enjoy the real drama of a performance car. Don't be tempted in by all these touch screens and über tech haha. That stuff is gonna be around for decades to come. These cracking engines will not Rant over haha. But with this news, Im just waiting for the C63 to drop a 4 pot. Then...it's all over

Haha, u hit the nail on the head!

I agree with you on the NA v8 engines.

My mate has the e92 m3 and the sound is untouchable! The car gives you a real sense of occasion and it's very unforgettable

In comparison to a fast Audi which is just so good at everything it becomes boring somewhat!

Haha, u hit the nail on the head!

I agree with you on the NA v8 engines.

My mate has the e92 m3 and the sound is untouchable! The car gives you a real sense of occasion and it's very unforgettable

In comparison to a fast Audi which is just so good at everything it becomes boring somewhat!

Different tools for different jobs man. That's all. So so many great cars out there. I'm even looking at the monstrous CL63 just for giggles. 8 years time I'll probably get the S63 facelift (current). I just keep adding all these great cars to my list of cars I'd like to live with and try. It's so much more exciting than always focussing on the next iteration.

But anyway, the diesel will be fast. Just boring. V8 TDI would be great as we've already mentioned but Audi are focussed on the future now. And these TDI offerings are just temporary bandaids until the other manufacturers follow suit.

If people really do want a new car though, the new 340i x drive is just too hard to ignore. And AMG are properly on top of their game with the V8. It's going to be interesting though, seeing how all this pans out. But Auditography knows his stuff.

Reactions: akk_0091, jdp1962, paul wev and 2 others

If this turns out to be true, it's certainly a reason for me to keep my supercharged S4 forever..... :)

Reactions: Keef and Thundercliffe81
If this turns out to be true, it's certainly a reason for me to keep my supercharged S4 forever..... :)

It's a cracking engine though haha.

Reactions: jdp1962
I feel for those who have placed S4 orders and have no idea when they will get one and what engine it will have.

Like Jeff I am so glad that I went for the B8. But whereas he imagines keeping his forever I can see myself moving to a Tesla 3 performance some day.

Reactions: NevMan, Thundercliffe81, jdp1962 and 1 other person
I feel for those who have placed S4 orders and have no idea when they will get one and what engine it will have.

Like Jeff I am so glad that I went for the B8. But whereas he imagines keeping his forever I can see myself moving to a Tesla 3 performance some day.
Forever is a movable feast. :)

Reactions: scotty76, NevMan and Thundercliffe81