Have you heard the S4/S5 rumour...

Can't find anything in any english or german motoring press or in any german based forums either therefore doubtful. Seems that one uk dealership is trying to steer prospective buyers towards diesels...

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
Just got this in from my dealer where I had placed an order for an S4 since November.

I guess it's time to jump ship to BMW
Screenshot 20190124 172739 Email

Reactions: Daggerit and NevMan
Interesting, then in the uk we seem to know more than the whole of the rest of the world? Or is it because this is a UK only change?
Plus, what engine is it going to use?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Interesting, then in the uk we seem to know more than the whole of the rest of the world? Or is it because this is a UK only change?
Plus, what engine is it going to use?

Sounds like it might be the bi-tdi from the A6 or something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who knows, the previous A6 had bi turbo's but the current engine hasn't, even then they'd need to tune it up to get near the performance of the current S4. Spy shot articles of the s6 state it's a petrol engine from the Porsche Panamera...

Who knows, the previous A6 had bi turbo's but the current engine hasn't, even then they'd need to tune it up to get near the performance of the current S4. Spy shot articles of the s6 state it's a petrol engine from the Porsche Panamera...

It's the 2.9 I believe from the RS4 and Panamera yup.

Yeah but the 2.9 is a petrol or a hybrid electric with a single turbo. The 4.0l is a diesel:

Panamera3.0L V6 turbo petrol 5.5 s (claimed)264 km/h (164 mph)171-173 g/k
Panamera 4 3.0L V6 turbo petrol 5.3 s (claimed)262 km/h (163 mph)175-177 g/km
Panamera 4 E-Hybrid 2.9L V6 twin-turbo petrol4.6 s (claimed)278 km/h (173 mph)56 g/km
Panamera 4S 2.9L V6 twin-turbo petrol 4.2 s (claimed)289 km/h (180 mph)184-186 g/km
Panamera 4S Diesel 4.0L V8 twin-turbo diesel 4.3 s (claimed)285 km/h (177 mph)176-178 g/km
Panamera Turbo4.0L V8 twin-turbo petrol 3.6 s (claimed)306 km/h (190 mph)212-214 g/km
Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid4.0L V8 twin-turbo petrol 3.4 s (claimed)310 km/h (193 mph)66 g/km

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Panamera

Reactions: paul wev and Thundercliffe81

I think they'll use the bitdi from the a6.

It shouldn't be so hard to reach s4 figures power wise but real world performance should eclipse it with the torque figures.

The 272 already has very good torque stock so I can imagine a diesel version having at least 700nm

It would probably be a faster version of what I already have albeit with an extra turbo

Either way it's still only speculation!

As I said on page one, if you believe the dealer who told me, it's a bi-turbo with around 10bhp more than the current petrol - so around 364bhp (and as said, probably 700nm or so of torque). I should add that he's just returned from Germany (Audi) and suggested some insight. I'm NOT assuming it's gospel but there did seem to be some strength behind his comments...

As I said on page one, if you believe the dealer who told me, it's a bi-turbo with around 10bhp more than the current petrol - so around 364bhp (and as said, probably 700nm or so of torque).

I'm happy for the Diesel fans if it comes. It will be short lived but can't help but feel the guys who ordered a petrol V6. They'll have some serious cancellations I reckon. IF it's all true of course. Never seen anything like it haha. Madness.

Reactions: Terminator x, NevMan and syed123
As I said on page one, if you believe the dealer who told me, it's a bi-turbo with around 10bhp more than the current petrol - so around 364bhp (and as said, probably 700nm or so of torque).

That would be crazy. I'd say that's almost stepping on the toes of the rs4 when it comes to real world performance.

My tuned 272 is making around 320bhp and 700nm and that already does 0 60 in 4.4 seconds using launch and 4.8 without so I can imagine a diesel s4 being even quicker..

If they do swap to diesel I guess it would render the petrol pointless but the thing is most people by s cars for the sound.

The bitdis sound really good in my opinion, even my stock 272 makes a nice whooshing sound but of course it has its own appeal, just not the same appeal current s car owners are after.

Either way it would be a weapon!

Reactions: Zippytoo and Thundercliffe81
And for anyone that ordered a petrol one that now can’t get it, mine is for sale at almost £20k less than list price was when I bought it...

Reactions: NevMan and Thundercliffe81
I'm happy for the Diesel fans if it comes. It will be short lived but can't help but feel the guys who ordered a petrol V6. They'll have some serious cancellations I reckon. IF it's all true of course. Never seen anything like it haha. Madness.

I agree, s cars have always been petrol.

Even the bitdis are not s cars and they run along the s versions in the a6/a7

The sq7 is an exception but that v8 is something else ;)

I guess in the a4s case they wouldn't be able to sell a fast diesel along side an s car as it would practically steal sales away.

BMW manage to sell their performance diesels a long with the petrols but they seem to be meeting sales where as Audi have suffered badly with the whole dieselgate scandal

And for anyone that ordered a petrol one that now can’t get it, mine is for sale at almost £20k less than list price was when I bought it...

Genius. Never let a good crisis go to waste

Reactions: NevMan, syed123, paul wev and 1 other person
That would be crazy. I'd say that's almost stepping on the toes of the rs4 when it comes to real world performance.

My tuned 272 is making around 320bhp and 700nm and that already does 0 60 in 4.4 seconds using launch and 4.8 without so I can imagine a diesel s4 being even quicker..

If they do swap to diesel I guess it would render the petrol pointless but the thing is most people by s cars for the sound.

The bitdis sound really good in my opinion, even my stock 272 makes a nice whooshing sound but of course it has its own appeal, just not the same appeal current s car owners are after.

For me, as it's a lease I'm not particularly fussed either way (though totally understand that buyers might take a different view). If it is around 364bhp (IF), I wonder whether it might be Audi giving a nod to the fact that a diesel S car would absolutely need a USP i.e. it would need to be bl**dy quick!

Last edited:
Reactions: syed123 and Thundercliffe81

And a cracking car it is mate, but could be a struggle for most unless cash buyer

Reactions: Daggerit and Thundercliffe81

RS4 is 460 hp and 510 ft2 torque from the factory so I doubt it.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

TX.

I thought on paper

TX.

I thought it's 600nm of torque on paper? That would be 443lbs ft unless it's pushing more on dyno?

Either way it would be one of the fastest diesels Audi would ever have made especially considering the size of the car.

IF lol

I thought on paper

I thought it's 600nm of torque on paper? That would be 443lbs ft unless it's pushing more on dyno?

Either way it would be one of the fastest diesels Audi would ever have made especially considering the size of the car.

IF lol

It's not an IF! It's real. It's 2000% happening. I can see why Audi won't make a public announcement about it though Fail.

Reactions: NevMan and syed123
I thought on paper

IF lol
It has more from the factory vs what Audi say. It is obscenely fast esp launching even vs my previous RS3!

Agree that the diesel should deliver epic performance although it will put of the petrol fanboys.

TX.

Reactions: NevMan, syed123 and Thundercliffe81
As stated though, the A6 doesn't have a biturbo anymore, that was dropped when the new C8 came out possibly because the 2.9 also didn't make the new emission's tests.
If it is true the S4/5 is going diesel, and seeing is believing, then Audi are making some pretty 'questionable' decisions these days that's only going to harm their product image and sales...

Last edited:
Yeah you're right, I was assuming that it's undergoing new testing and will then re-appear but that's just me thinking that rather than it being based on information. It was a cracking engine if you were looking for a powerful diesel so would be a shame to see it disappear.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, NevMan and cuke2u
Fascinating reading really.

Although it all sounds a bit dodgy, I can't help wondering if (assuming this is all true) Audi are trying to be a bit clever with this. New diesels are apparently not dirty after all; they could certainly produce an S4 diesel with better performance than the petrol version; they have a track record with diesel performance (Le Mans) etc. So what's not to like?

Makes me think of Apple convincing the world we need the iPad. A tablet that costs more than many laptops (yet isn't a computer) and only does what most smart phones do, except you can't use a tablet as a phone (generally). Basically, clever marketing.

Time will tell I guess, and in the meantime I imagine exhaust sound engineers are trying to perform a miracle :tearsofjoy: and a few designers are trying to work out how much damping needs to be squeezed under the bonnet to quieten down that giveaway tap, tap, tap sound on tick over.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, NevMan and Alnicopro
Audi Liverpool have not heard anything about this whatsoever - the plot thickens!

Dont forget that the Mk1 SQ5 had the 335 bhp, 700Nm, bi-turbo. In an S4 that would be a fast car and more economical than the current petrol.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and NevMan
Everyone is getting caught up on numbers. I had a 335d, with 309bhp and 465lb ft. Yes it was quick, but it was soul-less. It wasn't a horrenous noise or anything but its quite muted, the revs don't rise and fall freely because of how much metal a Diesel engine is shifting around, all the power comes through between 2 and 4k revs, and then you're onto the next wave of torque.
If that's what the general consumer wants these days then cool, and no doubt Audi will sell them well. But if Audi are looking for the more generic 'petrolhead' then petrol is the fuel of choice for the revs, the noise and a little more drama.

No doubt Audi could make it work. It sounds like a great package. But I guarantee it will lack excitement both physically and aurally vs. what we're used to in the S cars today.

My S4 is lease, its up end of October and I will be doing my damndest not to go back to Diesel in the next car. But that's just me.

Reactions: jdp1962 and Thundercliffe81
Dont forget that the Mk1 SQ5 had the 335 bhp, 700Nm, bi-turbo. In an S4 that would be a fast car and more economical than the current petrol.

I drove one of those on a Audi day. And have to say, a stonking drive. I know many aren’t fans, but the fake exhaust sound didn’t bother me

Everyone is getting caught up on numbers. I had a 335d, with 309bhp and 465lb ft. Yes it was quick, but it was soul-less. It wasn't a horrenous noise or anything but its quite muted, the revs don't rise and fall freely because of how much metal a Diesel engine is shifting around, all the power comes through between 2 and 4k revs, and then you're onto the next wave of torque.
If that's what the general consumer wants these days then cool, and no doubt Audi will sell them well. But if Audi are looking for the more generic 'petrolhead' then petrol is the fuel of choice for the revs, the noise and a little more drama.

No doubt Audi could make it work. It sounds like a great package. But I guarantee it will lack excitement both physically and aurally vs. what we're used to in the S cars today.

My S4 is lease, its up end of October and I will be doing my damndest not to go back to Diesel in the next car. But that's just me.

Perfectly executed haha. People get caught up in the numbers. Same with EV.

Reactions: RB84 and Simonwhite2000
I drove one of those on a Audi day. And have to say, a stonking drive. I know many aren’t fans, but the fake exhaust sound didn’t bother me

I think it sounds ok too. For a diesel. It's a unique car. I can see why people are holding onto them.

Reactions: NevMan

I agree - i used to own a 530i and test drove a 535d before chosing the 530i - they were both quick cars but the 535d was not as much fun to drive as the 530i - the power delivery was different and not as nice on the 535d

Reactions: RB84
Similar experience here took the S5 over a 335d for simiar reasons - liked the revvier nature of the petrol and of course the noise.
Clearly there is a lot pointing to this move being possible but it still seems bizarre and I still have some doubts it would happen especially as Mercedes have expanded their petrol range with the E53 C43 etc

Reactions: RB84 and Thundercliffe81