Have you heard the S4/S5 rumour...

LeMans

Reaction score
I was in Audi dealership the other day querying about new S4 and the salesman said the rumour was that they were going to be diesel.

S5 and SQ5 would also change to diesel.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I was in Audi dealership the other day querying about new S4 and the salesman said the rumour was that they were going to be diesel.

I've heard this too. About all S models. Even the S8. Even though it's been seen and heard testing on the Ring. With a V8.

It makes no sense. They're pushing electric and diesel has taken an absolute hammering in recent years. I don't know why this keeps surfacing. It's a terrible business model haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and paul wev

The 'only' reason I can see it happening is to promote the electric platform by turning petrolheads away from their S platforms into something else. Long term win to promote EV.

Because most people will not buy a diesel S model. As in, their current customer base in that segment. I truly believe this upcoming facelift A4/S4 will be the last. It will take them up to 2024/5 which is ample time to bring EV into that segment.

Just my 10p mind. A hunch based on Agenda 21/30 by UN.

Reactions: SiPie, Headzup and Daggerit
That doesn't make any sense..

I would however like the v8 from the sq7 in say an a7

Currently waiting to see if they release it as not keen on 286bhp in stock form when the cls 400d has 340hp standard.

Also consumer demand for diesel has reduced quite a bit so surely Audi wouldn't replace the s4 with a diesel version.

What they could do which would be great is have a diesel equivalent the way the 340i competes with the 340d rather than replace the petrol version altogether.

Which dealer told you this?

That doesn't make any sense..

I would however like the v8 from the sq7 in say an a7

Currently waiting to see if they release it as not keen on 286bhp in stock form when the cls 400d has 340hp standard.

Also consumer demand for diesel has reduced quite a bit so surely Audi wouldn't replace the s4 with a diesel version.

What they could do which would be great is have a diesel equivalent the way the 340i competes with the 340d rather than replace the petrol version altogether.

Which dealer told you this?

Definitely.

That V8 Diesel could be such a good ubiquitous power plant.

Reactions: syed123
Definitely.

That V8 Diesel could be such a good ubiquitous power plant.

I know that the panamera has the v8 from the sq7 but of course Porsche have now discontinued diesels..

Atm I've decided I'll upgrade to the a7 when my pcp is up next year but I will most likely hold out to see if the v8 becomes available.

I've heard the a8 will get the v8 but I very much prefer the shape of the a7!

The only thing is that I would never believe a salesperson when it comes to future models as they have a hidden agenda. In other words they will want you to buy what they think they need to sell to you.
However found this https://www.eurekar.co.uk/articles/2018-03-12/new-audi-sq5-is-petrol---but-diesel-is-coming

Interesting to see whether it runs alongside the sq5 or replaces it.

I can't see that happening with the s5 or s4 though as they've always been petrol..

An a4 or a5 v6 tdi with 320bhp the way mine is currently set up would be a nice addition though

Interesting to see whether it runs alongside the sq5 or replaces it.

I can't see that happening with the s5 or s4 though as they've always been petrol..

An a4 or a5 v6 tdi with 320bhp the way mine is currently set up would be a nice addition though
Agreed, to replace the s4 & s5 with diesels would not be a good move. However diesels are more suited to the 'tractors' all manufacturers seem to think we want these day...

Agreed, to replace the s4 & s5 with diesels would not be a good move. However diesels are more suited to the 'tractors' all manufacturers seem to think we want these day...

It really depends on which diesels you mean.

The average 4 cylinder diesels fitted to most cars will be 'tractor' like in their nature. Even the vag ones which I've found have been more refined and smooth than the competition.

The 6 cylinders and above however are in a different league altogether.

My own experience of the v6 tdi has been that it's a remarkably smooth, wafty, effortlessly fast overtaking machine.

On idle it may sound diesel on the outside but on acceleration it actually makes quite a good sound and in the cabin it's super quiet.

So in terms of power and economy, especially if you do motorway miles, I think 6 cylinder diesels are almost a perfect balance.

Reactions: BD55SOL, akk_0091, tickedon and 2 others

The average 4 cylinder diesels fitted to most cars will be 'tractor' like in their nature. Even the vag ones which I've found have been more refined and smooth than the competition.

My own experience of the v6 tdi has been that it's a remarkably smooth, wafty, effortlessly fast overtaking machine.

On idle it may sound diesel on the outside but on acceleration it actually makes quite a good sound and in the cabin it's super quiet.

So in terms of power and economy, especially if you do motorway miles, I think 6 cylinder diesels are almost a perfect balance.

Yeah it's a perfect balance or compromise that engine. They've become so refined.

Reactions: syed123

LOL, I wasn't referring to the engines when I stated tractors ;-)

Reactions: syed123 and Thundercliffe81
I thought you already had a diesel S4 :grinning:

Yes indeed, but I want to hold on to my pioneer status. The one and only one.

Just yesterday at a traffic jam I caught a youngster in a highly tuned Diesel Golf GTI right behind me taking a lot of pictures to my Avant's tail. ;-)

Reactions: syed123, Thundercliffe81 and DaveW

Actually. Good shout from someone else earlier today.

Which dealership was it that told you? I ask because I know a guy on instagram that's been told the same. I said the same as I replied on here but if it's same franchise or dealer group, that would be interesting

Diesels are on their way out though + the fuel of the Devil so why switch to it. Makes no sense.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CHEZ, pierreluigi88 and Thundercliffe81
Not according to some and a diesel revival has been forecast, if it hasn't commenced already. The feeling is that once buyers realise that current new diesels are, in fact, cleaner than petrol engines they'll start buying again. Sales are already begining to pick up. Unfortunately it seems that makers are having difficulties with petrol engines in SUV's meeting the emission targets. I know the simple answer to that one though ;-)
https://newmobility.news/2018/07/18/vw-group-record-sales-and-diesel-revival/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/industry/opinion-why-we-should-buy-new-cleaner-ever-diesels

Not according to some and a diesel revival has been forecast, if it hasn't commenced already. The feeling is that once buyers realise that current new diesels are, in fact, cleaner than petrol engines they'll start buying again. Sales are already begining to pick up. Unfortunately it seems that makers are having difficulties with petrol engines in SUV's meeting the emission targets. I know the simple answer to that one though ;-)
https://newmobility.news/2018/07/18/vw-group-record-sales-and-diesel-revival/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/industry/opinion-why-we-should-buy-new-cleaner-ever-diesels
But diesel fumes are literally poisoning kids in London or are you saying new diesels don't?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

A diesel will never make a good sound as a Petrol it’s not even comparable. Stupid from Audi if this is true.

I suggest you listen to the petrol engines with the new particulate filter they now have to have fitted, apparently it completely ruins the sound...

Reactions: tickedon, Chris S 1245 and Thundercliffe81
I suggest you listen to the petrol engines with the new particulate filter they now have to have fitted, apparently it completely ruins the sound...

Yeah the slow death has commenced haha.

Reactions: Chris S 1245 and syed123
I think all new cars from sept 2018, not sure if there are any exceptions. However as petrol gdi engines produce more particulants than diesels they are forced upon us. They will not have the same regen issues as diesels though because petrol engines run far hotter anyway..

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and syed123
A diesel will never make a good sound as a Petrol it’s not even comparable. Stupid from Audi if this is true.

Yeah petrol will sound better most of the time.

But the appeal of the 6 cylinders is there. The sq7 and even the older sq5 were great in their own right.

I agree that it wouldn't make sense to replace the s with a diesel, if anything they should just offer a fast diesel along side an s car the way BMW do

Can't see Audi replacing it with diesel imo

Reactions: Chris S 1245, cuke2u and Thundercliffe81
Actually. Good shout from someone else earlier today.

Which dealership was it that told you? I ask because I know a guy on instagram that's been told the same. I said the same as I replied on here but if it's same franchise or dealer group, that would be interesting

Stirling Audi

Actually the New M2 Competition sounds really good with the filter on Still Pops and Bangs a lot It’s just Audi Sound engineers Are a joke Listen to the Rs4/5 they sound Awful and The New R8 V10 Performance sounds so muted No pops and bangs at all. My next Car will for sure Be A Bmw M Or AMG model As Audi can’t seem to make good sounding cars Anymore Apart from the Rs3 but we haven’t even heard what that will sound like with that Petrol filter.

That's good to know, however new S3's doesn't, very artificial sound created. However my choice of car is less about the pops and bangs anyway..

Actually the New M2 Competition sounds really good with the filter on Still Pops and Bangs a lot It’s just Audi Sound engineers Are a joke Listen to the Rs4/5 they sound Awful and The New R8 V10 Performance sounds so muted No pops and bangs at all. My next Car will for sure Be A Bmw M Or AMG model As Audi can’t seem to make good sounding cars Anymore Apart from the Rs3 but we haven’t even heard what that will sound like with that Petrol filter.

Hard to argue. Straight out of the box anyway.

Remus have done something pretty good for the RS4/5. C63S Estate is a wildcard for me after this. Or RS6 C7.5. The others will catch up to Audi soon enough though mate. Unfortunately.

Germany and L.A though are clamping down on aftermarket exhausts. 1984.

Reactions: syed123 and cuke2u
I wouldn't be surprised in we don't soon, any exhausts that involve cat/res/gpf removal will be MOT failures, if not already...

I wouldn't be surprised in we don't soon, any exhausts that involve cat/res/gpf removal will be MOT failures, if not already...

Cat wise it's already that way here. I wouldn't remove my cats for that reason.

But removing the Res or muffler would have a big impact here. It's inevitable. Does my head in. You'll see Cities here adopting this soon. But I stay away from them anyway.

So, I have an update. I’m probably one of the few customers, possibly the only one, with an outstanding order for an S4 placed when good lease deals were made available, for a week or so, at the beginning of April 2018. The ongoing wait has been / still is torturous and there’s still no real clue as to when I’ll get my car. But it is price protected.

Update from the dealer is that there is still no clue on timing. HOWEVER, the S4 / S5 / SQ5 will be a bi-turbo diesel with around 10bhp more than the current V6 petrol, i.e. 364bhp or so (and obviously a LOT more torque). Have to say that doesn’t displease me, for a price protected lease deal. It’ll likely be quicker and definitely more economical. It’s ‘just’ a case of when?!

Last edited:
So, I have an update. I’m probably one of the few customers, possibly the only one, with an outstanding order for an S4 back placed when good lease deals were made available, for a week or so, at the beginning of April 2018. The ongoing wait has been / still is tortuous and there’s still no real clue as to when I’ll get my car. But it is price protected.

Update from the dealer is that there is still no clue on timing. HOWEVER, the S4 / S5 / SQ5 will be a bi-turbo diesel with around 10bhp more than the current V6 petrol, i.e. 364bhp or so (and obviously a LOT more torque). Have to say that doesn’t displease me, for a price protected lease deal. It’ll likely be quicker and definitely more economical. It’s ‘just’ a case of when?!

Fascinating.

It would attract diesel buyers away from the 3.0L TDI but they're gonna push a LOT of S customers away. It just makes zero sense. Something doesn't add it up here.

It’s all down to emissions and WLTP: they couldn’t get the petrol to a place where it needed to be.

It’s all down to emissions and WLTP: they couldn’t get the petrol to a place where it needed to be.

RS4 facelift then? Hmmmm. AMG AND M Power...stand by for a big influx. Absolute fail Audi haha. All these restraints are so blatant. Get people in to an EV. I dunno what else to say.

Are we still talking about the same diesel that there used to be here?
Plumes of soot, only good when racking up miles, pants for short journeys and you have top up with ad blue that is made with pigs pi55?
I don't get it.
And I won't even mention diesel gate which cost vag billions of quids in fines a few years back.....

Are we still talking about the same diesel that there used to be here?
Plumes of soot, only good when racking up miles, pants for short journeys and you have top up with ad blue that is made with pigs pi55?
I don't get it.
And I won't even mention diesel gate which cost vag billions of quids in fines a few years back.....

That's why it doesn't add it up. Suicide.