Have you got a rattle?

Inverted

Reaction score
well, I'm 600 miles in a week after picking the car up. I've noticed an intermittent rattle.

In relatively low revs, but under gentle acceleration through second gear, I get a rattle that sounds like a loose metal object or metallic valve opening and closing. It "seems" to come from the drivers side, sometimes down low near your right foot. I can't reproduce it in neutral, or at higher rev ranges. Also oddly, it only seems to do it once after starting the engine, but will do it again if you restart the engine..... Very weird.

A search here highlighted a known 'characteristic' with the the waste valve and actuator rods on the A3 TFSI engines, but I have a 2.0 TDI.....

Anyone noticed anything similar?

All I know is that the tdi engine has never suffered from the actuator rattle and the only engine affected was the 1.4 122ps engine which was fixed a few years ago at the production level...

well, I'm 600 miles in a week after picking the car up. I've noticed an intermittent rattle.

In relatively low revs, but under gentle acceleration through second gear, I get a rattle that sounds like a loose metal object or metallic valve opening and closing. It "seems" to come from the drivers side, sometimes down low near your right foot. I can't reproduce it in neutral, or at higher rev ranges. Also oddly, it only seems to do it once after starting the engine, but will do it again if you restart the engine..... Very weird.

A search here highlighted a known 'characteristic' with the the waste valve and actuator rods on the A3 TFSI engines, but I have a 2.0 TDI.....

Anyone noticed anything similar?

I have the same! (V6 TDI 272)

Well I noticed that sometimes when the engine is cold and I am driving out of my road, I hear a very strange metallic sound that seems to be coming from under the car but I do feel like its right under my feet, almost as if some screw has fallen onto the road or I've gone over something..

Have no idea what it is but I can't report any major concerns so far..

Syed

Just a thought, I had a rattle in the same place, and it turned out that I had knocked the trim panel above the acclerator some how and that was the cause. Easily sorted, worth checking.

Have been listening carefully. It definitely sounds like a specific mechanical "adjustment" of some kind. Rhythm like " dum dum, dum dum" but with a metallic knocking kinda sound. It definitely only does it the once, the first time the revs drop slightly after going into second or third. The rest of the drive it doesn't do it at all, even when pulling away from lights, junctions etc.

It must be some kinda automated adjustment, I'm intrigued as to what is is though. I'm sure nothing is loose

Reactions: Rob_F
Have been listening carefully. It definitely sounds like a specific mechanical "adjustment" of some kind. Rhythm like " dum dum, dum dum" but with a metallic knocking kinda sound. It definitely only does it the once, the first time the revs drop slightly after going into second or third. The rest of the drive it doesn't do it at all, even when pulling away from lights, junctions etc.

It must be some kinda automated adjustment, I'm intrigued as to what is is though. I'm sure nothing is loose

I had exactly the same noise today. It seemed to run the full length of the car on the right hand side under the drivers seat. Maybe the handbrake automatically adjusting? Just a guess.

I had exactly the same noise today. It seemed to run the full length of the car on the right hand side under the drivers seat. Maybe the handbrake automatically adjusting? Just a guess.
Its electronic and doesn't use cables so I am not so sure...