Have I made a mistake going to 19" alloys?

wrighthere

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just upgraded from the 18's I had on my car to a set of 19" 5-arm Y-Spoke's.

To be honest, the decision was based on looks, but i really didn't realise how much of a difference to the drive they make.

It might just be me, but the car feels "boaty" and of course picks up ever little bump.

I am honestly thinking about going back to 18's, but was just interested in what peoples thoughts were on here.

Cheers

The ride will be a little firmer but what you lose in comfort you gain in looks imo.

20's would have been a step too far for me, 19's look sweet.

Got any pics?

I will get some pics. I thought i was imagining it at first, but i just feel the car doesn't seem as solid that's all. I was actually thinking there was a problem with the suspension, but sure its fine.

I am wondering if the SE just cant take 19's although i know you could upgrade to them as an option from new i think?

SE will take the 19's it's just that it's different. It's amazing what and inch does to the handling too, you may find the handling more precise but the ride will feel harsher. I'd make sure the wheel nuts are tight enough though just in case.

Yes, got all that checked and checked all balancing and wheel alignment just to make sure. I guess it just a case of getting used to it. My wife likes them (so that the main thing ), but will see. Haven't done a motorway drive yet so will see how that goes.

I am still not convinced!

SE suspension is softer than S-Line, or it was on my B8 A4, you may need to have a look at getting some after market springs to feel the benefits of the 19's, again, this is my experience on my A4.

JG

Yes, I had that idea, but don't want to start going down that road.... I will try and get some motorway driving in at the weekend as that i think will make or break it. I still have my 18's so want to be sure before i sell them!

Yes, I had that idea, but don't want to start going down that road.... I will try and get some motorway driving in at the weekend as that i think will make or break it. I still have my 18's so want to be sure before i sell them!

Sometimes, it's not all about looks, especially if it's your daily driver.

It's your car after all. :yes:

JG

Indeed, but honestly didn't realise what a difference it would make! Live and learn!!

Reactions: RS5 JON
No, just normal. Its actually a pet hate of mine to have different tyre makes on the car, reminds me of being 17 and buying anything that was the cheapest! The wheels already had tyres on with Michelin's being new and the front dunlops with about 4/5mm on. Again all this could make a difference!

No, just normal. Its actually a pet hate of mine to have different tyre makes on the car, reminds me of being 17 and buying anything that was the cheapest! The wheels already had tyres on with Michelin's being new and the front dunlops with about 4/5mm on. Again all this could make a difference!

Yes, those were the days, cheap, part worn, just to keep the car on the road!!
Have you tried sticking the Michelin's on the front?

JG

Get some coliovers (not eBay ones) you can manually adjust the ride stiffness

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SE suspension is not man enough to cope with the extra damping needed for the extra unsprung weight .

Eibach and Bilstien have the perfect answer .

I have a black edition with 19" rotors. Obviously the 19s look good but I find the ride really harsh. The 35 profile combined with really bad road surfaces is a right ball ache (literally).......and the 19s are standard on this model so somebody thought it was a good idea

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have 19" rotors as well. But looks make up for ride quality.

Reactions: Pappasmurf, RS5 JON and daytonamart
What tyre pressure are you running? I noticed a big difference between 35 and 40 psi.

I'm on 20s and didn't notice any difference between some A5s on 19s I test drove (I was very surprised)

Well i have been using them for a few weeks now. After my initial panic, I actually really like them. As per daytonamart said, the handling has been greatly increased!

Reactions: daytonamart and RS5 JON