Have I just shafted myself?

MTRL

Split Grill!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I changed my suspension last weekend, and in the process of putting the drive shaft back in place it looks like I messed up and didn't put it back correctly.

When I took the car for a test drive around the block and I noticed a rubbing sound when i pulled to the left, but only under power. On turning back on to my road, there was a big bang and the drivers side drive shaft had disengaged.

Took it apart to find this:

DSC08489_zps65c2f276.jpg

The end of the drive shaft has completely split off by the looks of it.

The rest of it is sitting in there somewhere:

DSC08490_zps52eaf123.jpg

So I brought what I thought was the right one, £50 delivered which I was happy enough with. Turns out its the wrong one and will have to return it.

I'm trying to find the right now part but am struggling to find one. Been off the road for two weeks now :3sadwalk:

My question is.....is this a dealer only part? Please don't tell me its a dealer only part. Something tells me i'm not going to get away with fixing this for £50, don't want to have to cancel my holiday plans if its around £200-£300 which i ****** suspect it will be.

Anyone any idea of the price?

Thoughts?

DSC08491_zpscbea3b88.jpg

well to answer your question its not a dealer only part if you go on ECS's website you find the different brand as for the CV boots and that they do recommend the dealer however i think they are 23 to 27 pounds as for the CV bearing thats another story i think they range between 80 to 200 pounds on the ECS website , however as you live in the UK might be even cheaper for the bearing that is

Hi, the pics are a bit un-clear but it looks like its just dislocated off of the cv circlip . The clip either sits on the end of the driveshaft or in the cv its self. As long as the spines aren't damaged it should go back together. You will get this part non genuine. Should be around £60 mark, but like i say it should go back together.

Just been out to did out the bit that has sheered off:

DSC08497_zps6e56bc5c.jpg

DSC08498_zps60886051.jpg

Sorry, I have been a bit unclear. I think what I did was disturb the CV joint from the end of the drive shaft and when put it all back together, I didn't slot them together tight enough.

That bit should be on the end of the drive shaft with space enough to fit the circlip around, then should have been slotted back into the CV joint but it looks it slipped out and this end bit stayed in and got snapped off. To clarify, I need the whole drive shaft I reckon.....unless the end part can be replaced?

Last edited:
Nope, new/second hand shaft required I'm afraid. It appears to have sheared off at the circlip groove for some reason. I'm thinking the shaft could have possibly, as you said, become dislodged when the suspension was dismantled and caused more stress on the splined section and hence failed.

Forgive me if I've missed this but, What engine & gearbox is fitted to the vehicle? What year is the vehicle?

Engine code/gearbox code can be found inside the first page of your service book or under the boot carpet on a sticker.

Nope, new/second hand shaft required I'm afraid. It appears to have sheared off at the circlip groove for some reason. I'm thinking the shaft could have possibly, as you said, become dislodged when the suspension was dismantled and caused more stress on the splined section and hence failed.

Forgive me if I've missed this but, What engine & gearbox is fitted to the vehicle? What year is the vehicle?

Engine code/gearbox code can be found inside the first page of your service book or under the boot carpet on a sticker.

Either of these?

8P0 863 463 c 87A
T55.5AAB.E87A

Its a 2005 2.0 FSI 3 door