Have good manners disappeared?

devo

Reaction score
Have people lost the words "please"&"thanks" from their vocabulary?I was brought up to use both and not to forget them either.The reason im mentioning is because I'll always hold the door open for someone either following or approaching me.only 50% of the time will the person say thanks,normally its the overly make-up'd throut in some cheap **** convertable that don't.
I'm thinking of joining their gang and let the f##kin door slam in their face the next time.

Reactions: jojo, xpoweruk and Sandra
I think its mainly the young and unfortunately its the way there brought up now. Most people think the world owes them something. I was born in 82 and even most of my generation are rude and arrogant.

Kids need a slap when there out of order IMO

Reactions: Euans2, Bristle Hound, Jake 61 and 2 others
Manners are fast becoming a thing of the past....I was brought up with quite a strict upbringing and I try and use some of the things I learnt with my son now as well, so I hope he carries on the way he is and uses the basics to help him through life too.

Reactions: Jake 61
Manners don't cost anything. I was born in 86 and from a working class we didnt have much as kids but was always taught manners and to use them but yes sadly it appears that these days manners have been lost. Sad really.

The best way to overcome the frustration of holding the door open for someone who didn't say thank you is to just say your welcome really loudly :hi:

Reactions: Nilz, Jake 61, devo and 1 other person
I think its mainly the young and unfortunately its the way there brought up now. Most people think the world owes them something. I was born in 82 and even most of my generation are rude and arrogant.

Kids need a slap when there out of order IMO
It's unfair to say it's mainly the young. It's nothing to do with age and everything to do with the way you're brought up

Reactions: Mojave96, Jake 61, jojo and 1 other person
I was brought up in the sixties, properly.
I can't stand bad manners, there is no excuse for it other than behind every bad mannered young person, there is a parent, (or parents), that don't give a s**t.
Sadly, some of the older generations are just as bad as A4B9 says. A few years back, while parked on the high street and standing next to the car, some plus four trousered and waist coated gent pinged a chewing gum wrapper in my open sunroof. I just thought, what a ****.
Not so smart when I very politely put my arm out, stopped him in his tracks and asked him to remove it.
At least when I thanked him for removing his trash, he was humble enough to apologise.
Got the fright of his life though....!

:haha:

Nowt wrong with the young , my 2 and a half year old daughter said " You're very welcome" after I said thank you to her.

Reactions: jojo, Sandra and Nilz
My missus forgets to say thanks and when i pull her up on it,she goes off on one.just because your familiar with someone does mean your manners have to drop.she gets it from her old man,he's none around me either but will lick the **** of a complete stranger

The same applies when driving, you go out of your way to let somebody out of a busy junction and the majority of the time the only acknowledgement you get is a dirty look. Not asking for anyone to bake me a cake for cutting their journey 2 minutes short but a gesture of appreciation would be nice.

Not going to start naming typical culprits but here's a hint. BMW drivers.

Reactions: jojo, Jake 61 and devo
Same goes for the painted faced trouts in their x5/Q7/range rovers who think that you MUST let them out at a junction and dont acknowledge you.maybe they do smile but it doesn't show due to boxox and the oversized sunglasses

Reactions: Macster
Same goes for the painted faced trouts in their x5/Q7/range rovers who think that you MUST let them out at a junction and dont acknowledge you.maybe they do smile but it doesn't show due to boxox and the oversized sunglasses

This isn't completely their fault though as the majority are that engrossed in a text conversation with Primrose about what Mercedes said about Florence that they genuinely don't see you and assume the way is clear..

Reactions: Jake 61 and Sandra
Politeness and curtesy cost nothing........

The worst thing that seems endemic up here in the North West (Leyland, Chorley, Preston) are people pulling out in front of you at roundabouts......they are "supposed" to give way to vehicles coming from their right, but I get the impression they think the driver of the car already on the roundabout will slow down to avoid hitting them...........I suppose one day these idiots will be Tee Boned and it will be their own fault......

It's unfair to say it's mainly the young. It's nothing to do with age and everything to do with the way you're brought up
well first i agree nothing to do with age as some old people are just plain rude
then i cant agree with up bringing as myself as sister were brought up under stick rules with working parents however i have worked since leaving school and have had to earn all what i have. Where as my sister is no nice way of saying it but a bum living off tax payer and other family members when it suits.

Again nothing to do with age, I'm 25, my lass is 21 and my younger sister is 19. All brought up the correct way with manners. If any of us omit our please and thank you's we would still get a clip around the ear from our families (including each other!). Unfortunately a lot of people (of all ages) haven't had the fortune of having this care taken into their upbringing.