has my new turbo failed

spencer-s3

2nd gear
Reaction score
Need advice boys

Last month i fitted a new turbo from C R Turbos & i seem to be using a lot of oil, max to min on the dip stick over 2 week ends!

so in the week i [FONT=&quot]tightened [/FONT] up the 2 banjo bolts on the turbo the ones under the manifold, had sum slight wet patches around them, also noticed a lot of oil in the boost pipes!!

I dont drive the car in the week days so yesterday i took the car for a spin down the motorway keeping off boost about 60miles there & back, checked the oil & no loss of oil :arco:

This morning went to the beach & back about 20mile with the odd bust of boost checked the oil & ive lost 1/4 of a litre WTF:mad:

is it possible the seals on my new turbo (only 350mile) have failed?!

Have you take the intercooler pipework off to check to see if there's excessive oil in/on them?

The tip's normal as that's excess oil from the rocker cover/pcv system. L shape pipe, which one do you mean? The one coming straight off the turbo?

If you take the throttle body hose off and have a look in there there should be no oil evident... if there is oil there then give it a clean and go for a run... if oil comes back then there could well be a problem... how did your last turbo expire? if the seals went on that then there could be an excess of oil in the intercoolers unless you have had them off and cleaned them out... if you haven't yet then it worth doing as oil will get blown into the inlet manifold and dilute the fuel causing timing pull...

Its normal for a little oil to be in the first charge pipe as its the nature of journal bearing turbos however excessive oil in the throttle body suggests turbo rather than PCV as PCV is more a mist than anything else...

<tuffty/>

If you take the throttle body hose off and have a look in there there should be no oil evident... if there is oil there then give it a clean and go for a run... if oil comes back then there could well be a problem... how did your last turbo expire? if the seals went on that then there could be an excess of oil in the intercoolers unless you have had them off and cleaned them out... if you haven't yet then it worth doing as oil will get blown into the inlet manifold and dilute the fuel causing timing pull...

Its normal for a little oil to be in the first charge pipe as its the nature of journal bearing turbos however excessive oil in the throttle body suggests turbo rather than PCV as PCV is more a mist than anything else...

<tuffty/>

ok thanks tuffty...i replaced the old turbo thinking it was on its way out but it turned out to be a gasket !!!
ill have a look in the week, realy hope my turbo is ok?

hope yo didn't bin the old turbo! maybe put it bac on if it was a gasket fault. have you checked for traditional leaks, sump etc? it may be that whilst on boost the engine is hotter so oil more viscous and leaks. maybe. hope you get it fixed.

hope yo didn't bin the old turbo! maybe put it bac on if it was a gasket fault. have you checked for traditional leaks, sump etc? it may be that whilst on boost the engine is hotter so oil more viscous and leaks. maybe. hope you get it fixed.

No leaks other then around the bottom of the turbo dont seam as bad as what ive lost,
Yea I did bin the old turbo but that's not a worry as the new one is under warranty.

Think I'm going to try what tuffty said & also take a look at the banjo bolts again & try replace the copper washers

No leaks other then around the bottom of the turbo dont seam as bad as what ive lost,
Yea I did bin the old turbo but that's not a worry as the new one is under warranty.

Think I'm going to try what tuffty said & also take a look at the banjo bolts again & try replace the copper washers

Did you not use new washers when fitting (assuming you fit the turbo...)?

Always use new oil and water banjo washers when changing the turbo and also replace the oil drain ones... the one CR supply is a 'paper' gasket and I never use them tbh... always VAG metal ones...

The oil feed into the turbo is high pressure and if you have not changed the seals for the banjos then chances are its blowing past those... is there a lot of oil around the turbo?

Its really a false economy not to change all the gaskets when doing a turbo swap... it will bite you in the ****!

<tuffty/>

Did you not use new washers when fitting (assuming you fit the turbo...)?

Always use new oil and water banjo washers when changing the turbo and also replace the oil drain ones... the one CR supply is a 'paper' gasket and I never use them tbh... always VAG metal ones...

The oil feed into the turbo is high pressure and if you have not changed the seals for the banjos then chances are its blowing past those... is there a lot of oil around the turbo?

Its really a false economy not to change all the gaskets when doing a turbo swap... it will bite you in the ****!

<tuffty/>

yea might be the problem!
There is oil around the back of the turbo i wouldnt say loads tho, when i changed the turbo i did buy new one but dropped them so i used copper washer was told they are the same,
I didnt use the paper gasket but put the old metal gasket back on didnt think it whould leak.

I know the 2 banjo's rite under the exhaust manifold where a bit loss (1/2 a turn) tightned them up think it may be leaking from the one by the actuator arm 2 allen key bolt holding it on is that the oil feed???

hope i can get this sorted with out taking the turbo off again :banghead:

Well I sucked it up & booked my car in for a compression test to day after no joy finding my oil leak & last week end on boost car was smoking like some thing out of james bond movie..

was getting 180psi on each cylinder
Im gutted to say but looks like my new turbo has failed & ive done only 400mile.

thanks C R Turbos :wtf:

Last edited:
my%20audi
DSC02682.jpg

this is what came out off my intercooler & boost pipes !

ouch.... not good mate... have you been in touch with CR about this?...

<tuffty/>

1 liter in total.

the only problem is i never cleaned out my intercoolers & pipe work when i change my turbo so im not sure if this from old turbo or new one. but whould explane my oil loose :crying:

I would take the tip off and see if it looks/feels ok at that end..

Yea I have looked in the TIP dave, little oil & no play in the shaft.
Also so I've capped off the oil breather to the TIP removed the hockey puck & put a temp oil catch can in it's place for today's trip to Swansea 60miles there & back.
When I get home I'll check the intercooler pipe work & catch can that way I should have a better idea on where I'm lossing oil befor I speak to CR...

ok boys is it safe to say my new turbo has failed?? ??
After only doing 60miles on sunday i lost some oil, so took my boost pipe off at the right side intercooler & caught 1/4 litre of oil, replaced the pipe & topped up the oil,
NO SURPRISE put 1/4 litre oil back in..

bear in mind ive blocked off the oil breather at the TIP & placed a temporary catch can so no oil is going back into the airways..

what you think boys??

Sounds plausible that the seals have gone... removing the TIP may reveal an oily compressor as I suspect this is where its going... disappointing mate...

<tuffty/>

Sounds plausible that the seals have gone... removing the TIP may reveal an oily compressor as I suspect this is where its going... disappointing mate...

<tuffty/>

yeah the compressor is oily,
im totally gutted ive payed for various diagnostics new parts here & there to find out whats going on & now i got to revist the same job & replace the turbo which i payed good money for! hope the next turbo aint the same :mad: