Has my clutch gone?

Mr Singh

Reaction score
Bit of a prob on my A3 TDI 110SE 2001..

Yesterday i was coming off the M1, and as you do when you come to a junction i tried to select gears. Dipped clutch, wasn't getting into a gear.

Stopped and turned the car off, dipped the clutch and i could get it into gear. With the car still off put it into reverse this time i heard a squelch sound. Anyway, started her back again, into 1st and away i went.. it was fine after for about 70miles not a hint of any problems.

On the way back, after another 40miles it was again fine. Went out again and the problem came when i tried to upshift from 2nd to 3rd.. So i pulled over, switched off the engine, and put it into reverse, did the same thing squelch sound.. put it into 1st and started her up and away i go.. however now the gears are a not going in without a fight. I think the common phrase is 'drag' when its not easy to select reverse or 1st.. I also noticed in 5th gear when u slam your foot down the revs rose by Tiny bit... i've had clutch slip on cars before, but this is barely noticeable..

Now its sat on the drive, and its pretty much not drivable.. Is it safe to say its the clutch or something else?

Car has done 97k.. no record on the service history of clutch change as far as i can see..

Sounds like a clutch/Flywheel issue. It might be the slave cylinder that has failed. From what I read if you pump the clutch a few times it lets you put it into gear. is the car vibrating?

Aky said:
Sounds like a clutch/Flywheel issue. It might be the slave cylinder that has failed. From what I read if you pump the clutch a few times it lets you put it into gear. is the car vibrating?

Hi

Yeh, after searching the forums, i'm wondering if its the slave cyl' too.

That car doesnt vibrate no. Like i say when the engines not running, you can select gear fine, with or without clutch.

but for how many times you do the clutch is it worth it ????

don`t actually know why vw chose the dual mass option but there must be a reason ?????

I got a price from local garage..

£390+ VAT which inc. Clutch kit, bearing and flywheel and fitting..

Clutch on its own is £265+ VAT. with fitting

sound reasonable?

Mr Singh said:
£390+ VAT which inc. Clutch kit, bearing and flywheel and fitting..

all parts and labour?

genuine parts?

yes.

they said OE parts. 12 month warranty provided. i've used the garage before they have solid reputation too.