has my clutch gone? :(

matt5594

Reaction score
i have a 99 A3 1.8t sport, was driving home yesterday and when pulling away from a set of lights (normally, no F1 style starts for me!), i started noticing my bite point wasnt where it usually is which is around 800rpm where i'm normally off the clutch then onto the gas pedal and it pulls away nicely.

i had to really give it some gas to get it to 2000rpm then off the clutch to get it to crawl away and not stall as the bite point seemed to be so much higher. 1st/2nd/3rd seemed to have no pull at all, unless i'm heavily on the gas pedal with very high revs. it doesnt feel like i have a turbo at all in any gears. i didnt even attempt 4th/5th.

got home and noticed there was a burning smell from the engine bay, but no smoke. engine coolant was well within limits, as was oil level.

this morning i checked it and the clutch pedal had a bit more 'feel' to it than it did last night but the bite point is not there. took it for a quick drive this morning and i think changing up to 3rd, the revs dropped from 3000rpm (which seems to be the only place where its able to move the car) suddenly to 1000rpm but i had not took my foot off the gas pedal or depressed the clutch, it just felt like it has lost power right there.

so, has my clutch gone or is it something else as i spoke to my mate who had an audi that needed his clutch changed and he said it wasn't a sudden thing, that he knew for a good week that his clutch was going to go. mine was fine up till that point..

the car doesn't move at first when you rev it, then starts moving?

what does it smell like?

yeah upto 2000rpm, it doesnt move at all, it revs and i can hear the engine revving up.

i dunno, it smells like burnt plastic? cant really place it.

Good way of testing is, get into 5th at around 45mph at a steady 2000RPM and floor it. If the revs climb wildly and the car doesn't move much then it's the clutch which has gone.

I had the same problem. But it started in 5th gear as golf said. was about 50-55 mph and floored it, just revved and then car didn't gain any speed.

Anyway, I already had the parts for a clutch/flywheel upgrade, so was not a big deal. The car had to be towed though to get it repaired.