Has anyone with a TDI 140 DSG had a long term remap?

alfiejts

Reaction score
Has anyone with a TDI 140 DSG had an engine remapped or chipped and, if so, how long ago and how has the gearbox been?

There's a scare story on "Audi Forums" that the DSG box can't handle any more torque than the 258 lb ft that the official Audi TDI 170 has as standard.

Most TDI 140 remap chips increase power by 30 bhp to about 170 and torque by 70 lb ft from 236 to about 306 lb ft, which they say is far more than the DSG can handle, with the subsequent damage likely.....

Has anyone else heard of this or can anyone with a long term remap reassure to the contrary?

I see that even the 3.2v6 only has the same 236 lb ft of torque as the TDI 140, so that seems about the most that any standard car feeds into a DSG box currently....

Good post, and interesting point! I've got a 140 DSG on order and I'll be remapping mine, I haven't heard of any problems, my friend is orderin a new TT DSG as well 2.0T, hes probably gonna end up doing a big turbo conversion with 300ft-lb+, worth doing some research though, speaking to some experienced companies.

Thanks

I've got a feeling that some remap companies dont up the torque as much on the DSG models as much as they do on the manuals.

I think you're right, is their any companies that offer uprated DSG clutches? The clutches may not be toooo expensive but I should imagine the labour won't be cheap :blownose:

would be interested to find out as I'm planning on remapping my new 170 dsg in January.

I didn't think it was too much of an issue, although fropm past experience the stand 6spd clutch cannot take the torque. I seem to remember Superchips did the map on one of the VW racing Golf Gti's with DSG. Anyway i'll soon be finding out later in the year :)

Thats why I didn't go for the 170, higher insurance group and the 170s have had lots of mapping issue. I'm seriously considering a big turbo project on my car. Guy in the redline has put a hybid in his Golf 2.0TDI (140) with induction kit and map and 230 bhp & 395ft-lb later hes having a whale of a time!!!

Hi guys, first post here as i only picked up my 2.0tdi DSG S-line A3 last week! Chuft to bits with it but was considering a remap and have been wondering about any issues with doing this so would be good if anyone could shed any light!

Mike

:sorry:Oops! lol sorry i took too long to reply! I'm thinking i'm most likely to leave the remap until mid-spring and i might as well go for a test run with a 6 hour trial from awesome! :)

Good idea, awesome's down the road from me, so thats ok. Is urs akoya silver, what part of manc u from, anymore mods planned? Would u be interesting in the newer S-Line bumper? I'll be selling mine when I get my car. Thanks

Avus silver mine, i'm in Sale at the moment if you know where that is? I have thought about changing the front bumper, but i'd want an s3 front end, not looked into any of that though yet so not too sure on how many pennys that'll set me back! Only thought about a remap so far to be honest! How about yourself?

i wouldnt worry about the dsg gearbox at all - i know vw did some development work with single turbo 3.2 engines with these boxes running >400hp and had no trouble

there are german and usa companies providing single turbo conversions running 400hp 520nm conversions reliably with standard dsg gearboxes

they uprate the clutch material for 445hp/ 580nm conversions though so i dont think a 2.0tdi is going to trouble it much.

on the 400hp/520nm they use a different boost controller and map so the boost is brought in a little slower so as not to go from no boost to full boost over a few revs as there is a slight risk of clutch slip with very rapid boost increases

Can confirm Superchips/Bluefin reduce the total torque output and how it is developed on the DSG in comparison to their generic map for the manual.

My wifes 140DSg has now covered 11,000 since the bluefin with no issues at all and the difference is massive with the car far more eager and much more pleasureble to drive. Fuel consumption has now returned to normal with the car averaging 49.6mpg according to 'DIS'. Definetly worth doing especially with the forum discount of 15% -£509 for switchable bluefin.

Spin140 said:
Can confirm Superchips/Bluefin reduce the total torque output and how it is developed on the DSG in comparison to their generic map for the manual.

My wifes 140DSg has now covered 11,000 since the bluefin with no issues at all and the difference is massive with the car far more eager and much more pleasureble to drive. Fuel consumption has now returned to normal with the car averaging 49.6mpg according to 'DIS'. Definetly worth doing especially with the forum discount of 15% -£509 for switchable bluefin.

Hi Spin140, I don't suppose yo've got any figures for this remap?

On another note, my car has just over 30k miles on the clock, i'd still be within a safe boundary for remapping my car wouldn't I?! :unsure:

Cheers,

Mike

mikehenry85 said:
Hi Spin140, I don't suppose yo've got any figures for this remap?

On another note, my car has just over 30k miles on the clock, i'd still be within a safe boundary for remapping my car wouldn't I?! :unsure:

Cheers,

Mike

At 30K your car will be nicely loosened up now as with most diesels you can find mpg and performance increases slightly after 10 -20k.

I'll have to look up the torque figures on the dyno print out but can confirm the car was 143bhp as standard and achieved 178 bhp after the map.

If you take your car to thier HQ in buckinghamshire (MK18) they will also do a free before and after Rolling Road run complete with health check, also the new bluefin also resets your 'Flash Counter' on your ECU aiding dealer un-detectability.

I'll get back to you with the torque figures but this will have to be Thursday.

Cheers Spin

Would it make much difference going to the one in buckinghamshire, instead of my local branch in stockport in the north west? Surely they'd still offer the same service? Guess it's just a case of waiting until the nicer/dryer weather comes oh and the most important bit, i've got the £500-odd quid saved up lol!

If you could possibly let us know you're figures it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike

I've run my 2.0Tdi DSG for 35,000 miles over 2 years on a Revo remap putting out 203bhp and 300lb ft. Average mpg 50.9. Just about to have the 2nd service with the DSG oil and filter change. No problems and its getting better and better.

I did think about changing for a 170Tdi, but the engine is far more agricultural which seems odd for a newer engine.

The one worth waiting for is the new twin turbo diesel which is going in the TT.

Your so lucky awesome is down the road from you. I don't think there's one dedicated serious tuner in south london =(

Can I suggest you contact one of these dealers in London?

I can vouch for evolutionchips.co.uk who have a European wide dealer network......

mikehenry85 said:
Would it make much difference going to the one in buckinghamshire, instead of my local branch in stockport in the north west? Surely they'd still offer the same service? Guess it's just a case of waiting until the nicer/dryer weather comes oh and the most important bit, i've got the £500-odd quid saved up lol!

If you could possibly let us know you're figures it'd be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike

The things you gain from visiting Bucks is a free before and after RR plus the chance to meet the Tech's who work on all the R&D, you will also get the discount offered for forum members which is not available at other outlets, bring the price down to £509 inc which is pretty good considering the power runs etc but appreciate its a bit of a journey - good fun on the way home though :) Forgot to check out the torque figures for you over the break, sorry will post them up when I return to work on the 2nd.

Spin

good post guys

my GF has seen a Mauritius Blue S Line A3 that she's fell in love with

53K on clock and just had 1300 spent on it at Audi (tyres, DSG service, Timing belt + long life service) it's up for just short of £14k

does that sound reasonable?

of course i'd consider a re-map - My 8L A3 has done 88k now 35k of that with upsolute re-map and never missed a beat.