Has anyone traded their RS3 in for an R8?

N-Sinc

Reaction score
Seriously looking at upgrading my FL stage 1 RS3 in for a 2017-2018 R8 V10. Wanted to ask for someone opinion before i go wasting peoples time at the dealerships!

Has anyone else done this? Is it going to feel like a significant step up performance wise from a stage 1 FL RS3? (assuming the R8 was approx 600-620bhp) What about as an overall package? Is it really worth the extra 50k on top of the RS3? And most importantly.... can i fit my golf clubs in one? :huh:

I'd also probably look to get a non plus model, and then have exhaust and stage 1 map to bring it up to the power of the plus / performance. Any thoughts on why this is a good or bad idea?

I did look on the R8 section of this forum, but there's not much going on at all!

Last edited:
I drove a Lamborghini Huracan the other day at one of these supercar track days. Obviously similar to an R8. Must say the thing really did shift and while it wasn’t night and day quicker than my stage 1 TTRS, it was still noticeably quicker. And the sound was glorious! It felt so similar to sit in as my TT, driving position and view out the front etc!

I’ve also seriously toyed with the idea of getting an R8 V10 Plus but I’m barely doing any miles these days so can’t justify the outlay for something that would sit on the drive. In addition, used prices on them (and all secondhand cars it seems) are holding up seriously well which is putting me off, as surely they’ll come off soon, even a little bit.

When I’d finished my supercar day, I walked back to my gleaming black TTRS and was still very happy with it. Says it all.

I also got to drive a McLaren 570S. Mind boggling handling, truly insane. But a bit boring otherwise. The most exciting was a now quite old Ferrari 458 Italia. What a car! Oh, nearly forgot. Also drove an Ariel Atom. Was a nervous wreck at the end. I thought I was doing 120mph at one point, when I looked down and seen I was barely doing 60mph!

Not yet, maybe next year though as I have a 500+bhp st2 RS3 that I only had done a month or so ago.

By bro had an R8 and he said that my RS3 is much faster though, so that's put a dampener on it a bit (although he had an older one with a lower power output than more recent models which was roughly equiv to my RS3). But I think there's more 'occasion' in the R8 being a larger engine, progressive acceleration being NA and being lower, so that's why I'm still considering one (and if I go for a newer model, more power :)).

I'd say with a 2017-2018 V10 you'll be laughing :)

At Rockingham I got off the line quicker than a v10 R8 but it went past me after about 100 metres. The noise though is worth the asking price imho!

TX.

[In my PFL standard RS3]

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: porkopops
Seriously looking at upgrading my FL stage 1 RS3 in for a 2017-2018 R8 V10. Wanted to ask for someone opinion before i go wasting peoples time at the dealerships!

Has anyone else done this? Is it going to feel like a significant step up performance wise from a stage 1 FL RS3? (assuming the R8 was approx 600-620bhp) What about as an overall package? Is it really worth the extra 50k on top of the RS3? And most importantly.... can i fit my golf clubs in one? :huh:

I'd also probably look to get a non plus model, and then have exhaust and stage 1 map to bring it up to the power of the plus / performance. Any thoughts on why this is a good or bad idea?

I did look on the R8 section of this forum, but there's not much going on at all!

Had an RS3 2016-2018 and now in a B9 RS4. Came into some cash and looking to buy something a bit special. Tried AM DB11 and Vantage and a few Porsche as well as having a Demo Carbon Edition V10 620 RS for a day in manky Kemola Grey. If it has been black I probably would have bought it at sub £120 K with 170 miles on the clock. Not liking the colour 100% made me question other aspects. Performance handling and noise faultless. Economy awful 12mpg. Interior space/storage poor. No sunroof option. So have decided to keep RS4 and ordered a Porsche Targa 4S . If I was wanting a track day car an R8 or GT3 would have made it higher up the list but way too OTT for my needs and probably most other people too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS3 S.
I did this 2 months ago. Went from PFL RS3 to FL RS3 to 2017 R8 V10+ over 3 years.

I love it.

It is faster, no doubt...it's in the corners that its really different. the handling and turn in are 10x better. The RS3 is family hatch at the end of the day, the R8 is not. Get the R8 above 6k and the thing is brutal. Launch wise its similar, my buddy has a stage1 FL Rs3, the R8 is about a 1 to 1.5 cars ahead by 60...from then on it just pulls and pulls. It turns heads too.

mpg wise it is far worse, I only do around 6k per year, so no issue, but if you daily the RS3 just beware, im getting about 12>14mpg.

I tried a 2020 model, the noise had gone...so for me it was an easy decision. 2016>2018 v10+.

And yes, the R8 forum on here sucks.

Not sure if you can fit clubs in there though...maybe if you slung the passenger seat back...but I doubt it.

Reactions: jimojameso
^^ I went from a 2014 manual Audi S3 stage1 to a 2017 R8 with OE optional sports exhaust...........sounds proper dirty and well beyond any 5cyl could muster. Magnificent machine it is, i use mine all year in all weather, lives outside and averaging around 19mpg, can squeeze 25mpg on a cruise on the motorway. No turbo engine comes even close, not in the same arena. As easy as an A3 in comfort and auto and like a full on race engine when giving it some.

Only real differences between base and plus (i have base) is the mapping on the engine, steel versus carbon brakes and gearing. For my use and where i live the base makes much more sense and sitting at 70mph around 2k revs yet drop it down a few and bounce off 8500rpm is magic. The only difference between the engines is the map and the throttle bodies which don't open fully on the base so an easy map and something i will do outside of warranty. My advice would be if you can afford it and find one you like then do it, it feels special, it sounds special and the days of buying/using/hearing these type of engines are reducing.

Loads of US peops put superchargers/turbos on R8s and keep the engines/gearbox stock so very strong, only decent forum is r8talk.com.
Huracan is a toy and never calms down, R8 can act as a daily.

Very much doubt you would get clubs in though :(

p.s. to be clear I like RS3s but even if they get close to the performance the way they deliver it can never ever compete.

^^ I went from a 2014 manual Audi S3 stage1 to a 2017 R8 with OE optional sports exhaust...........sounds proper dirty and well beyond any 5cyl could muster. Magnificent machine it is, i use mine all year in all weather, lives outside and averaging around 19mpg, can squeeze 25mpg on a cruise on the motorway. No turbo engine comes even close, not in the same arena. As easy as an A3 in comfort and auto and like a full on race engine when giving it some.

Only real differences between base and plus (i have base) is the mapping on the engine, steel versus carbon brakes and gearing. For my use and where i live the base makes much more sense and sitting at 70mph around 2k revs yet drop it down a few and bounce off 8500rpm is magic. The only difference between the engines is the map and the throttle bodies which don't open fully on the base so an easy map and something i will do outside of warranty. My advice would be if you can afford it and find one you like then do it, it feels special, it sounds special and the days of buying/using/hearing these type of engines are reducing.

Loads of US peops put superchargers/turbos on R8s and keep the engines/gearbox stock so very strong, only decent forum is r8talk.com.
Huracan is a toy and never calms down, R8 can act as a daily.

Very much doubt you would get clubs in though :(

p.s. to be clear I like RS3s but even if they get close to the performance the way they deliver it can never ever compete.

Now I’m confused

^^ I went from a 2014 manual Audi S3 stage1 to a 2017 R8 with OE optional sports exhaust...........sounds proper dirty and well beyond any 5cyl could muster.

I wasn’t aware R8 ever had a noisier exhaust option??

^^ the current gen2 facelift does not due to the regs so the sweet spot is the my17-19 which did, option code was OP8 and I wouldn't buy an R8 without it. I have yet to hear an after market exhaust come close to the noise (ok after market can be noisier and defo much lighter but there is more too it than that imo) and the OE sports noise is absolutely fantastic, mine also has the 4 button steering wheel so i can turn it 'on' or 'off' with one push irrespective of driving mode. It cracks and burbles in all the right places and wails when high up the rev range, sounds like a full on race car, proper dirty.

Tbh i looked at the fl and given the front bumper is pretty much a straight swop to the pre fl there is very little to encourage changing, the new rear end i think is less good than the pfl and the inside is as was, the big round exhaust tips are just tips and not even connected to the exhaust for example. Save your money, buy a 2-3yr old with an Audi sports exhaust and get Audi to throw in a 24month warranty extension. My rear light unit was replaced under warranty for water ingress and over £1k to do.

Tried a Mclaren, not my thing tbh but I find it very interesting both Pagani and the new Gordon Murray engines are naturally aspirated, nothing quite like it but i also have a few motorcycles lying around so might be influenced by the 'purity' of na.

I drove a Lamborghini Huracan the other day at one of these supercar track days. Obviously similar to an R8. Must say the thing really did shift and while it wasn’t night and day quicker than my stage 1 TTRS, it was still noticeably quicker. And the sound was glorious! It felt so similar to sit in as my TT, driving position and view out the front etc!

I’ve also seriously toyed with the idea of getting an R8 V10 Plus but I’m barely doing any miles these days so can’t justify the outlay for something that would sit on the drive. In addition, used prices on them (and all secondhand cars it seems) are holding up seriously well which is putting me off, as surely they’ll come off soon, even a little bit.

When I’d finished my supercar day, I walked back to my gleaming black TTRS and was still very happy with it. Says it all.

I also got to drive a McLaren 570S. Mind boggling handling, truly insane. But a bit boring otherwise. The most exciting was a now quite old Ferrari 458 Italia. What a car! Oh, nearly forgot. Also drove an Ariel Atom. Was a nervous wreck at the end. I thought I was doing 120mph at one point, when I looked down and seen I was barely doing 60mph!

lol 60mph in an ariel atom and you were a nervous wreck. Mind you its because you basically strapped into an engine and scalfolding.

Try the 70mph karts at Thruxton or 150mph formula ford at Rockingham, they are fun and you can easily go flat out.

At an Audi VIP event in 2015, i had a 2015 R8 v10 spyder in manual for a couple of hours. Incredible noise and experience with the hood down, and manual box...was in ORANGE too so really stood out. Even the bikers on superbikes that passed nodded their head in approval.

Would love one. The sound is epic.

Last edited:

I would recommend selling your Rs3 privately and rolling that cash into a deposit on the R8 - you'll probably get a better deal.

Also, if you can stretch, get a plus as the residuals on these will be stronger. In my experience my RS3 feels faster but I think it's because I'm use to the size of the car and how nimble it feels in corners. The R8 on the other hand feels a lot bigger on the road and on certain roads (country roads) a little more skittish. But, the sound, it's worth every penny :) and overall is a very different driving experience.

Also, you can get golf clubs in one, on the passenger seat wrapped in a blanket :tearsofjoy:

The R8 you can't compare to any normal car, driving dynamics alone are simply incomparable.

The non plus versions map well, same engine but different gear ratios and smaller oil coolers.

Do it for sure!

Reactions: jimojameso