Has anyone retro fitted rear parking sensors to the S3?

drfeelgood

Reaction score
Driving around in all these courtsey cars with rear parking sensors has got me wanting them on my car. Is it possible to retro fit? Or is it a complete bumper unit which is required, rather then just that grey bit

the grey bit can be bought seperately from audi with the pre cut holes for parking sensors.

Same for an A3 too, you can buy the parking sensor specific lower valance for them too, although it's over £100 for the valance from audi!

I've got parking sensors as an optional extra on my A3, and whilst I'd never choose to have them, they're SO handy!

You can but standalone kits nowadays and make them look OEM, they are not that expensive either.

C'mon guys - it's not a tank! Why do you need parking sensors on a little hatchback :)

exactly.....you'll also notice that most cars with sensors have dented back ends, plus the **** end of the A3/S3 is the easiest car to place as the rear window is near enough the furthest point

dont be a tart :)

i wanted to have it on my S3 but the technician that was going to do it, didnt suggest it.
he said that to be effective the sensors must be placed on the black part of the rear bumper, coz if he install it on the lower silver part (since my car is silver) they will be pointing a bit downwards which is not good for their efficiency...so they might start beeping way before you are close to hit anything (since the S3 is lowered too)
anyways, its not just that i want to hear that beep beep when i am going backwards...i like the look of those sensors too and i was going to install it for the look more than anything else

i wanted to have it on my S3 but the technician that was going to do it, didnt suggest it.
he said that to be effective the sensors must be placed on the black part of the rear bumper, coz if he install it on the lower silver part (since my car is silver) they will be pointing a bit downwards which is not good for their efficiency...so they might start beeping way before you are close to hit anything (since the S3 is lowered too)
anyways, its not just that i want to hear that beep beep when i am going backwards...i like the look of those sensors too and i was going to install it for the look more than anything else
BEEP BEEP....wtf....Get the roadrunner soundtrack....:tocktock:
YouTube - Road Runner & Coyote - Little Go Beep Brandt

Last edited:
whatever you call it...but it is a beeping sound that you got from parking sensors and not mozart track

If I get the genuine audi sensors for an A3 is it a simple job of drilling rear valance to pop the sensors in? And then where does the wiring plug into?

got mine from a Audi dealer and had already been fitted (not factory). very tidy job

anyone get a picture of oem A3/S3 with rear parking sensors?
it would be highly apreciated..i never seen one!

I considered doing this initially but changed my mind in the end...

The genuine Audi rear parking sensors are larger in diameter than the run-of-the-mill Ebay variety, I was gonna fit the rear insert panel (with the cutouts for the sensors) and use a cheapo parking sensor kit but when I checked the hole diameter was about 1.5mm bigger than the sensors so I decided against it in the end - shame as it could have meant that the complete kit would come in at £75 (£50 for new rear insert, £25 for the parking sensor / kit).

The insert made for parking sensors has a 'bulge' in it, allowing the sensor to sit at the correct angle / height - as Chlippo's technician pointed out, it would most likely not work correctly / effectively if they were mounted elsewhere.