Has anyone got one of these Sat Nav units fitted??

i have it and oem rns, go for the rnse the build quality of the unit is poor but functuallity is good, you get what you pay for, in hindsight id have 2 rns-e's check my a3 build over on vagoc.co.uk for installed pics

Thanks for the advice guys, I was worried about the quality of the unit, think I will just stick with the Audi one!!!

Slightly off topic but why the hell do Audi not offer any touch screen interface for sat nav when the Golf's had it for ages since the mk5 came out. That would be a good upgrade but don't think it would fit.

well yeah thats what i was trying to get, the Rns-e looks so out of date compared to the VW rns-510 now, are audi going to update their systems soon?? you would think they would do an audi version of that unit, it has a HDD aswell, much better system!

Slightly off topic but why the hell do Audi not offer any touch screen interface for sat nav when the Golf's had it for ages since the mk5 came out. That would be a good upgrade but don't think it would fit.
but they do offer sds speech dialogue which is an easy hack.

Couldn't agree more, Audi technology when it comes to entertainment and satnav is so out of date it's untrue, I mean just look at their ipod offerings for instance. RNSe is ok, but it's not clever and aftermarket offerings (Pioneer, Alpine etc) are so far ahead for the same money as a 4 year old RNSe on ebay!? Go figure that one???

Touchscreen might be easy to learn, but it is dangerous to use. With buttons that doesn't exist in reality and no feedback from it, you literally have to look at what you are pressing, as opposed to glancing at a button's location and being able to press it by feel. There are no touchscreens on fighter jets or commercial airliners because when the going gets rough, it would be suicidal to assume that you have pressed the flat virtual button on that giant flat panel when you could have pressed any other things.

Touchscreen might be easy to learn, but it is dangerous to use. With buttons that doesn't exist in reality and no feedback from it, you literally have to look at what you are pressing, as opposed to glancing at a button's location and being able to press it by feel. There are no touchscreens on fighter jets or commercial airliners because when the going gets rough, it would be suicidal to assume that you have pressed the flat virtual button on that giant flat panel when you could have pressed any other things.

Sorry to be a pain but I disagree with that.

If I were to go out and buy an RNS-E then I would have to look at the buttons for a while until I got used to the positions etc.. of them. This is the same with touchscreens. I have had my Pioneer touchscreen for around 17 months now, and can operate it easily enough without looking. I dont think anyone could easily scroll through an iPod's memory and choose an artist/album/song without looking, so that would be the same really, however changing to the next track, or changing to the radio from a cd etc.. is simple enough and the interface is so easy to use. They are even more advanced and user friendly now on the more updated ones too, so i would imagine it is even less hassle :)

What utter nonsense, how is touching a button on a screen any different to touching a normal button??

And how often do you go dogfighting MIG-29s in your A3! hehe

I dont think Audi will be updating there MMI too soon to touch screen, they have just updated the RNS-E, and even the new A1 has just only got HDD, pretty sure that is not touch screen, I have to agree Audi are very backwards with there Sat Nav/Audio systems, but as others said, they work and of good build quality.

I spent ages looking at other systems but in the end I paid my money for the latest RNS-E.

youve been able to get hard drives for the rns-e for ages, search phatnoise, dont think you can spec it anymroe though

it was a specable option mate but i think it was pre 2006 so its fully oem

Yeah phatnoise is old hat now with ami on the latest audi's, although was handy back then by all reports & could hack it to take larger drives aswell.

What ****** me of is, as someone else mentioned, the vw brand is supposedly the 2nd in line in VAG, but e.g. a mk5 golf has some better tech options, like touchscreen amongst others, why audi dont do anything like this on there flagship brand & same level car is beyond me.

As for the touchscreen comments, my sentiments exacly, pressing a touchscreen virtual button or an actual button isnt any different, however it does enable multitude of screens to be used, cuts down on weight, wiring, etc etc, all good for me, but then I'm a tech whore anyway lmfao

aint we all nige, im opting for adaptive facelifts just gonna have to buy the housings form audi and sell the plain bixenons

that being said the rns-e is far sexier than the vw alternative imho

Talk to me then as I can get the newer units from time to time, but arent cheap plus I'm not far from you.

exactly and by the ounds of things youll need a hand on the install, it can be abugger first time round, take advantage of niges knowlage

Actually done a few conversions of late, basically the MK2 rns units converted from a TT mk2 unit to an A4 version & 8P version, worked a treat & still leaves you with 2 working units aswell, sell the older one to recoup some costs.

I've actually got a DD cage & buttons for sale.

haha if only you had them a few months ago when i did my install, relating to tt installs drop over to vagoc and youll soon find a gem of a thread

Whats so special about that the thread?

You boys should go check out the last episode of fifth gear when they reviewed the new audi A8. Sat Nav that ran Google Maps and more ...

Old hat, seen it already, its the whole package I look at when buying a car, the whole car not just that part, I sat in the new A8, didnt do much for me tbh.