Has anyone fitted (F&R) upgraded diffs to the S3?

I've run SQS since 2007, been very reliable.
Only rebuilt this year and 3/4th were chipped, but functionally perfect

SQS have been great for me.

I thought you were running the SQS gear and knew you didn't have any issues with them. Did you run the SQS shifter at one point..

I thought you were running the SQS gear and knew you didn't have any issues with them. Did you run the SQS shifter at one point..
yea, had SQS seqshift years ago.. but never ran it with the SQS dog kit.. Wish I could use it now (sold it years ago which I regret) as with the SQS gears it would be epic. I ran it with std box and then quaife dog kit, but the quaife kit was utter shyte from the beginning to end. Replaced with the SQS which was and has been good for me.

Circuit racing abuse, 02J box, so not like yours, but I've been very happy with mine

639A3D66-9840-44E6-B2C7-9A48C46636D5_zpsyf9wbj0r.jpg

Reactions: Alex C, andy68, StaceyS3 and 2 others
CDE129C7-7AA7-46A6-A067-B1C4ABE4E8D7_zpstzsxyctp.jpg

Diesel gear, also got a few other things to go into the box..

Should get my input shaft back as it's been strengthened.

Reactions: snowy, s3 Hoggy and S3Alex
Never seen one of them before!
Would be interesting to see,

Their 3-4-5-6 are seem quite cheap as well.

Up coming house buy Bill?
I hope to be this year but you never know. I never have time to work on the car

eww house purchase.
saps the ££ out of you.

good luck.
you'll get there in the end

(hopefully before fossil fuels run out )

Reactions: A3-Lee and Jenno007
eww house purchase.
saps the ££ out of you.

good luck.
you'll get there in the end

(hopefully before fossil fuels run out )

While we're on the topic of follis fuels, how readily available is e85 over there Bill? A lot of people run it here in Australia and get huge gains with just a tune and maybe fuel system upgrade depending on the spec of the car.

edit: haha beat me to it Andrew.

Are you going to use e85 and WMI or just e85?

E85 is near on impossible to get at the pump here now,
My local supermarket used to have a pump but they removed it about 5 years ago now.

You can buy barrels of the stuff from race fuel suppliers, the bonus is the blend is always the same, (but expensive)

because of the temp change in seasons the pump e85 could vary as much to just 60 percent ethanol, which could cause issues if you don't have a sensor in the tank and a ecu capable of changing ignition timing and fueling to suit the blend.

Or you could do like a friend of mine does and blend your own lol!

E85 is near on impossible to get at the pump here now,
My local supermarket used to have a pump but they removed it about 5 years ago now.

You can buy barrels of the stuff from race fuel suppliers, the bonus is the blend is always the same, (but expensive)

because of the temp change in seasons the pump e85 could vary as much to just 60 percent ethanol, which could cause issues if you don't have a sensor in the tank and a ecu capable of changing ignition timing and fueling to suit the blend.

Or you could do like a friend of mine does and blend your own lol!

blending your own seems a bit extreme!

I plan on running a flex sensor in my car so I can run a mix of 98 and e85 for the best of both worlds.

He's a Dr of chemical engineering, it costs him about a third of what it would to buy it, and his car is strictly drag strip only.
I may give his special brew ago when I'm on the road, but it'll mean new injectors.

Reactions: Jenno007
Looking good Andrew!

What's the idea of the TDI gearset? Improved economy on cruise? Exceeding 200mph?

Glad to see somebody else's gearset has notches out of each gear. I thought something was up with mine, but figured they were too uniform to be debris-induced!

Anybody know what purpose they serve? Is it lubrication based? Does the groove on each tooth give the oil something to "grab onto"?

Looking good Andrew!

What's the idea of the TDI gearset? Improved economy on cruise? Exceeding 200mph?

Thank you

You got it bang on.

This is still a road car with all in creature comforts, I could of fitted straight cut gears but the cost is high and to loud also.

I know you love your top speed runs :laugh:

Looking forward to seeing what can be achieved on this new setup :)

What was the limiter set at?...

Guessing this would be lower than a normal stroker or 1.8

<tuffty/>

I know mine revs to 10.5k... but I am trying to forget how I found that out :(

lol...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: A3-Lee, Goubo1, kanecullen89 and 4 others
Scratch the idea of using ERF ratios as I was talking to someone that did it and he did 174mph in 4th ... very long and sluggish

Looking into better ratios now

There's some free gearbox ratio speed calc apps I use, super easy.
Have you got the erf ratios? As I may be interested if your selling?

Scratch the idea of using ERF ratios as I was talking to someone that did it and he did 174mph in 4th ... very long and sluggish

Looking into better ratios now

Guess he had a very slow boosting engine

I've gone through 'standard' petrol ratios (02J), then S3 close ratios (VR6 ratios) and then onto 'long' ratios

The longer ratios are just so much more pleasant to drive, and faster through corners - you can hold a gear longer - push the diffs harder

You ideally don't want to be cornering, fully committed to the traction of the diffs, then cut their torque supply as you change gear

With the close gears I found myself having to change gears so much it ruined the performance of the car

Short ratios, imhe, are fine for cars fast have to corner slowly, then blast back up to speed - you're not going to have to that - not with 3x LSD in the car - you're going to be finding youself accelerating into corners ;)

Personally, I found myself wanting an even longer final drive to bring motorway cruising rpm down further

Last edited:
The longer ratios are just so much more pleasant to drive, and faster through corners

Short ratios, imhe, are fine for cars fast have to corner slowly, then blast back up to speed

Without wishing to troll in the slightest here, should we contact every race team, ever, and inform them all that they're doing it wrong?

Tall ratios are for diesels, the motorway, and old people.

If speed is the intention, you should pick the shortest ratios possible that will allow you to reach your desired maximum speed.

short ratio with semi-auto and sequential shift are a bit different to manual shift short ratio

not to mention taking into account the 02M's relatively clunky selector mechanism

Thank you

You got it bang on.

This is still a road car with all in creature comforts, I could of fitted straight cut gears but the cost is high and to loud also.

Short ratio, in my experience, does not fit that brief

I have has a lot of wheel spin with mine when your on damp roads, you can feel the left front wheel spin a lot

I took this as meaning Andrew wishes to screw through corners hard

Since going short ratio to long ratio I can corner harder and faster quite simply because I can hold a gear longer

.. we contact every race team..

that's a little ott tbh, I'm quite happy with just two ;)

If you need to change gear mid corner I'd say your in the wrong gear and either entering too fast or too slow...

I see why Andrew wants a taller ratio, he hit the limiter in top and wants more. Top speed is obviously important to him with his insane power build.

That said, he's realised that the erf ratios will kill performance too much and is looking for a better solution.

For comfort, top speed, and economy I can totally understand the taller ratios.

For outright performance below 160mph it makes no sense.

For outright performance below 160mph it makes no sense.

I would love to strap into a passenger seat and demonstrate the error of your assumption

However I too have an archaeologically-long engine change under way ..

I suspect at the moment all we're going to agree on, this that by your definination I probably am an old person
oldman.gif