Has anyone ever bought a car and sold it for parts?

James TQ

Reaction score
Whilst browsing about on the net I saw a few lightly damaged cars, cat d and what not for dirt cheap, I though if you took the time to list all the part individually you might be able to make a few Bob out of it? Obviously you could never get rid of all the parts but I was just curious If anyone has done this and if you'd share the experience if it was more hassle then it's worth?

Thanks, James.

My brother does this for a living. There is money to be made, but not fortunes, and it's ****** hard work. You really have to know your subject, be able to identify what is a good car to buy at the lowest price.

Then there's the organisational side; having identified the donor car, you have to arrange collection (on a trailer if it's not a runner); once parts are stripped, they have to be labelled, photographed, and stored whilst being put up for sale. The sales process involves endless communication (phone calls, visits, emails) with potential customers, many of whom are witless morons, so you need endless patience. You need a plentiful supply of packaging material, a good relationship with your local post office and/or courier services, and be sufficiently conscientious to make sure that everything is shipped on time, without fail.

Be prepared to have lots of arguments with buyer who find the tiniest fault with something and insist on returning it, mostly because they've changed their mind, or simply discovered they bought the wrong part to begin with.

I use to work for a BMW breakers.
My main job was dismantling the cars.

I agree with everything Jeff has said not what Ste_Nova said.

Jeff is right, the amount of morons you get moaning about parts, complaining about the quality, late delivery and trying to get things for free.
Allot of time listing the parts, answering calls, emails and such. pretty much what Jeff said.

I doubt you will ever make your millions out of it but it is a very enjoyable job.
I really enjoyed it and learnt loads about BMWs, taking cars apart and general spanner work.
Being a man that likes gadgets and retrofitting items, this job is/was perfect for me. You can swap bits, test fit and any other items you feel like you want to do.

If I could I would love to break cars as a side line, not a proper full time job just something to do in-between doing nothing. A millenaire dream I guess.

We use to separate all metals, sell part worn tyres to the local part worn shop, sell windows to local window fitter, sell catalytic converters to the local Cat Women, batteries to local pikeys, car shells to local scrap mental people with 5 tyres and any other lumps of metal that don't fit in to the other metal categorise.

i've broken 1000's of cars for parts, i made loads a money, its all about buying the right cars and finding out what things are worth before you list them, try and get cars from the insurance companys direct as you can get 3 year old cars for £500 regardless of what they are, I once had 2006 911 Turbo S for £650 delivered that made me well over £20k in parts selling.

i've broken 1000's of cars for parts, i made loads a money, its all about buying the right cars and finding out what things are worth before you list them, try and get cars from the insurance companys direct as you can get 3 year old cars for £500 regardless of what they are, I once had 2006 911 Turbo S for £650 delivered that made me well over £20k in parts selling.

Whay do you mean from the insurance companies. Direct? How would I go about this?

Thanks for the returns, even if I spent 600 on a car and just made my money back I would enjoy it. I love me Hannibal work. I sit at a desk day in day out and there's only so many times you can dismantle and re assemble a stapler!!

Whay do you mean from the insurance companies. Direct? How would I go about this?

Thanks for the returns, even if I spent 600 on a car and just made my money back I would enjoy it. I love me Hannibal work. I sit at a desk day in day out and there's only so many times you can dismantle and re assemble a stapler!!

Hole punch?

I once had 2006 911 Turbo S for £650 delivered that made me well over £20k in parts selling.

I assume you had a breakers license then ? I find £650 hard to believe or perhaps the underwriter was having a serious dumb moment when they let that one go so cheap..

The wheels are worth 650 alone. Either way I'd love to have the opertunitie to do somthing along the lines

The wheels are worth 650 alone. Either way I'd love to have the opertunitie to do somthing along the lines

From my experience cars don't go anywhere near that cheap. My advice is to pick a certain vehicle and build up familiarity with it as dismantling 2nd time around gets easier and much much quicker. You also will have the same tools - don't underestimate the outlay here and don't skimp on the right gear otherwise you will frustrate yourself to hell !! Impact wrenches and electric drivers will speed things up no end..

Don't cut things.
I use to hate that.
Take things off correctly, its a better visual for the customer.

I was all ways told by the boss to hack, slash and chop away to get bits off.
Sod that, remove them correctly and cleaning. Only cut if I really had to but that was for things like the boot lid.

What cars are you thinking of breaking?
Doing it for a bit of pocket money and entertainment while at home?

Its not what you know, Its who you know, nothing is as simple as do A, B, C,

yes that deal was an amazing deal, but we used to get crpa as well for the same price and make £100 at the end of it, so its the rough with the smooth,

I went to a lot of places and spoke to a lot of people and made a lot of friends in the right places, I could hand over the phone number of a friend who works for one of the biggest car insurance companys in the UK who could put you on his list of people who he could off load cars they dont want to, BUT i wont, its not because im an **** hole its becase i worked hard for that position, would you just hand over your customers and surply info on a public forum ?

Surely you'd be doing him a favour getting him more customers?

yes that deal was an amazing deal, but we used to get crpa as well for the same price and make £100 at the end of it, so its the rough with the smooth,

I went to a lot of places and spoke to a lot of people and made a lot of friends in the right places, I could hand over the phone number of a friend who works for one of the biggest car insurance companys in the UK who could put you on his list of people who he could off load cars they dont want to, BUT i wont, its not because im an **** hole its becase i worked hard for that position, would you just hand over your customers and surply info on a public forum ?

Come on big guns, just one of your small customers would be a snip off the 1000s of cars you claim to break etc, so yes, why not help someone out. Pm him..

so are you in the trade ?
as no insurance will see to the man on the street even if the MD is your dad
it took me ages to go through the checks to beable to buy direct

lol, i wont be pulled into that old chestnut,

I used to be in the trade bez with a rather large set of garages, im sure there are a few members here who have been down to my old place, I dont do it anymore as there was a few problems with a partnership and things took a turn for the worst in 2008 as im sure a few others here would have felt being in the motor trade.

10052007773.jpg

12052007811.jpg

Last edited:
so are you in the trade ?
as no insurance will see to the man on the street even if the MD is your dad
it took me ages to go through the checks to beable to buy direct

Like i said before, its not what you know, its who you know, and me being a Freemason and having brothers who help each other out then many things are by passed, :hi:

Like i said before, its not what you know, its who you know, and me being a Freemason and having brothers who help each other out then many things are by passed, :hi:

To be blunt Turskster, your writing style in this thread is boastery verging on BS.. Its nice of you to let us all know who you know and what you dont but a little encouragement and help towards the OP was the general idea..

To be blunt Turskster, your writing style in this thread is boastery verging on BS.. Its nice of you to let us all know who you know and what you dont but a little encouragement and help towards the OP was the general idea..

not being funny but who the **** are you and what the **** do you know about me? I recommend you go and earn some street cred on the forum and come back when you know a thing or 2 eh chap, be a nice chap and stop trying to wind me up as its a real waste of time,
why on earth would i want to help a troll like you out when all you want to do is take a swipe at me, when you have something decent to offer this thread then come back and play nice.

Also stop trying to take this thread :sign_ot: Its not about me, its about breaking cars for money,

Ive done my fair share of cars, Jeff sums it up well, its hard work and you need to know what your doing otherwise you won't go anywhere. Trade experience, knowing what to buy and when, limitless motivation for wrapping parcels, you sell a set of seats for 9.99 and they're going 300miles so require 4hours packing time etc.. etc...

Turkster; You've took this well off topic yourself, The point of this thread is to help the OP, every one your posts has been your lifestory(BS or no BS who cares), Your best piping down otherwise no one will be throwing a rope into the hole youve dug eh.

Potential issues;

Location; Unit? Home? = Complaints?
Noise?
Waste disposal? - Theres always someone gelous of a £1 being made and will report you for anything.
Safety? - Cars are heavy, on your own?
Moving the waste shell?
Tools?

Alot of them issues will only apply to doing more than 1 car as that is when its changing into a business interest.

Alot to think about, Good luck

Ive done my fair share of cars, Jeff sums it up well, its hard work and you need to know what your doing otherwise you won't go anywhere. Trade experience, knowing what to buy and when, limitless motivation for wrapping parcels, you sell a set of seats for 9.99 and they're going 300miles so require 4hours packing time etc.. etc...

Turkster; You've took this well off topic yourself, The point of this thread is to help the OP, every one your posts has been your lifestory(BS or no BS who cares), Your best piping down otherwise no one will be throwing a rope into the hole youve dug eh.

Potential issues;

Location; Unit? Home? = Complaints?
Noise?
Waste disposal? - Theres always someone gelous of a £1 being made and will report you for anything.
Safety? - Cars are heavy, on your own?
Moving the waste shell?
Tools?

Alot of them issues will only apply to doing more than 1 car as that is when its changing into a business interest.

Alot to think about, Good luck

PM sent to you Pal,

Please can we keep on topic
Remember the rules (1) Personal abuse of other Audi-Sport.net members is not permitted.