Has Anybody ever repaired the armrest ratcheting issue?

midas

Reaction score
as the title suggests really, it begins to be a real drag when the armrest clicks downwards when you’ve leant on it for a while.
I’ve got a spare armrest body, so I’ve quickly taken the end caps off, and also the central shrouding. I can now see where the handle pulls in 2 metal fingers, and pulls them out of the teeth. I assume these teeth are part of the upright. So I’m thinking I can swap this out fairly easily.
come across the circles holding the central axle together though, and they are strong,need to get past these. Anybody ever done this job? Is it a pain? Any how-tos? I can’t seem to find any.
B478D78E 06CC 4304 8656 8684A7DE3733
585C6425 62BD 4D84 8F2F 4BD2EEABA032

Yes….I didn’t any further than sticking a triangular file in and honing the ratchet teeth though as I couldn’t / didn’t have time to get the holding washer off that’s in your picture.

I ended up drilling a large hole (covered by the round cover) to gain better access.

So far so good….it doesn’t collapse with 2grams of pressure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you drilled a hole to the side of the unmovable washer, and then just reprofiled the teeth? Hmm, might be an idea.

No….I enlarged the existing round hole beside the washer but made sure it would still be covered by the cap….this provides enough ‘access space’ to file the racket teeth slightly.

Ahh ok, I get you.

Well, I tried getting the clip out with a pick, but snapped the pick. So out came the sharp edge chisel, and off came the clip. I’m sure I’ll be able to buy some more. Found the whole thing came apart easy then.

9CFA480A E162 466B BE4C 95A331C6336B

Nice. In for a penny…..!

Can you see if the teeth are rounded?

On this one, it looks like the teeth are chipped slightly. But this is a spare armrest I had (Wrong colour), which wasn’t falling down. So its already in better working order than mine. So I’ve taken a chance pulling this apart, so I can rebuild my own. See what condition my own rarchet is in when I remove it tomorrow.

Reactions: Rfmacaskill