Has anybody actually had warranty work refused due to TD1?

Interesting regarding the tuning boxes. If this is true, which appears to be the case, the time is up for tuning boxes. That was the tuning box's USP. MIght as well get a full remap if taking the risk.

Would love to hear what MRC say. They seem pretty adamant they can avoid detection. I suppose they would say that, though.

Question for @Tony-c- have you seen many warranty claims rejected because of this?

We have been caught out by one or two claims. And we have had to foot the bill. But all warranty work gets scanned before any repair including software updates and will be rejected for repair if any uncertainty or evidence is found of tuning/tampering.

Reactions: DW81
So @Tony-c- if someone wanted to check a car to see if it had previously had a tuning box fitted AND it had altered the coding, that would also show an X in the hardware version using vcds?

No idea. Don’t have vcds personally as i’ve no need as i have access to odis dealer equipment. would need to check with someone with vcds access to be sure sorry

Well I’ll be remapping mine in the knowledge that if it breaks I fix it, but any cosmetic or electrical issues the warranty will cover it.

I completely agree. I do not want to appear to be an advocate of Audi, but they have gone to the trouble to produce a range of RS cars that are at the top of the league, they might ask the question: is it really necessary to modify them even more?

I also think it irresponsible that after market box suppliers go out of their way to try and convince everyone that their product will leave no trace. The story re the Golf R above is classic and in no way, I think, that VAG should have to pay for this. The problem arises when it is an innocent third party - a reason why all px RS cars should be put on ODIS prior to exchange.

I have to admire the chap trying to map in a bit more torque for me as he originally would not touch the car until he really convimced me there is no way back once started. I guess that others are not so confident of their product and manipulate words in order to secure a sale.

My question to Tony-c though: You claim to be an Audi techie. It is laudable that you pop into these IT threads and explain how it really is and telling us to beware. For this we thank you. BUT, where are you when the issue of squeaky brakes, or any other basic mechanical problem, comes up?

Any basic issues should be easily fixed by your dealer! And when it comes to brakes its a on going issue with audi and at the end of the day I could report viva diss an issue a week with RS brakes. They would then report back to factory and then come up with a solution after an investigation and testing and reporting back to the outside manufacturing company and then them investigating and testing . This can take many months even years. Cause in point we are just recalling what was a very common issue on the a3 8p. Yes we know about it at a dealer level in the workshop but your front of house are not going to admit to it you nor are audi until the have a solution. Its all politics and money saving at the end of the day.

Reactions: KKOG, DW81 and D0C
No idea. Don’t have vcds personally as i’ve no need as i have access to odis dealer equipment. would need to check with someone with vcds access to be sure sorry
I have a copy of an Odis scan done on mine and I also have vcds, both have a H in the hardware revision number so I guess it is possible to check this

No, sorry, it is incompetance. You prove it with the corporate line of money saving and politics. What you shoud care aboout are the poor suckers that you trot this line out to who have just paid £50k+ for your product.

Dealer reports back to Audi and it gets lost in a mountain of other reports. No one cares is one of the answers. If they did, then the likes of Jeremy Clarkson, who can major on little, would not have chosen 'squeaky brakes' as his gripe on two successive RS cars! C'mon, Jeremy Clarkson of all people to rubbish your product in the national press? I tell you if I were Audi, or a dealer who relied on sales for a living, I'd be cutting through the money saving bo**oks pretty quickly!

The other answer is that no one really has a clue because squeaky brakes cannot be plugged into a computer for analysis and Audi dealers, techies - however they are titled just do not know basic mechanics anymore (and this is not only Audi - Mercedes are worse) and are stumped when such issues arise.

Give me five Rs cars and access to the Audi Service dept and a hotline to suppliers for a week and I guarantee brake issues would vanish, complaints would disappear and sales would increase. Hows that for money saving?

Reactions: billymc92 and teslaboy
It's all about profits.
Audi like most major players don't give a toss.

Reactions: The Black Panther
You would think that any complaint about brakes (especially on such a large scale of complaints) even if it is just squealing, would be sorted as a matter of priority. I mean, brakes are probably the most important aspect of any car!

That said, when mine were squealing I found myself trying not to brake...not ideal.

Reactions: AudiNutta
No, sorry, it is incompetance. You prove it with the corporate line of money saving and politics. What you shoud care aboout are the poor suckers that you trot this line out to who have just paid £50k+ for your product.

Dealer reports back to Audi and it gets lost in a mountain of other reports. No one cares is one of the answers. If they did, then the likes of Jeremy Clarkson, who can major on little, would not have chosen 'squeaky brakes' as his gripe on two successive RS cars! C'mon, Jeremy Clarkson of all people to rubbish your product in the national press? I tell you if I were Audi, or a dealer who relied on sales for a living, I'd be cutting through the money saving bo**oks pretty quickly!

The other answer is that no one really has a clue because squeaky brakes cannot be plugged into a computer for analysis and Audi dealers, techies - however they are titled just do not know basic mechanics anymore (and this is not only Audi - Mercedes are worse) and are stumped when such issues arise.

Give me five Rs cars and access to the Audi Service dept and a hotline to suppliers for a week and I guarantee brake issues would vanish, complaints would disappear and sales would increase. Hows that for money saving?

You’re making a judgment on my skills and character based on a forum post in which im trying to help people! If i didn’t care I wouldn’t be here now would i? People always blame the techs but at the end of the day I don’t get to make the final decision on what ultimately gets done. It’s the person in the shirt and tie who has never worked on a car in there life but has done a business degree! Case in point the 145 check everyone automatically assumes that the tech who checked over the car is incompetent or doesn’t care because that have a glaring issue with the car. But the truth of the matter in most causes is sales don’t want to pay for the work to be carried out because it eats into profit margins or wipes it out completely! Again it is the same with warranty i would love to say to the customer yes the issue with your £50k cars brakes is the wrongly sided disc’s and the brake pads and the lack of cooling and i’m going to replace them with better parts but again i can only supply genuine parts supplied by audi available to me through the parts department! I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience through the network but at the end of the day a tech is the bottom rug of the ladder in the grand scheme of things and theres nothing me or any other tech can do because we are not far enough up the ladder. You asked earlier why I don’t reply to every type of issue. The reasons being is that without seeing a car it’s impossible to make a proper diagnosis to your potential issue and secondly its usually met with some sort of angry reply because you are raging with audi, don’t like the truth or you have already made your mind up on what the issue is and don’t care or believe what i have to say!

Reactions: RAPS3, AudiNutta, RAF_S7 and 3 others
You would think that any complaint about brakes (especially on such a large scale of complaints) even if it is just squealing, would be sorted as a matter of priority. I mean, brakes are probably the most important aspect of any car!

That said, when mine were squealing I found myself trying not to brake...not ideal.

Not ideal whatsoever mate, hope you have resolved this issue.

So Tony, who puts the flags on the ecu?... is it done automatically by the ecu or at dealer level ?... I’m talking about td1 and tdx codes ?

You’re making a judgment on my skills and character based on a forum post in which im trying to help people! If i didn’t care I wouldn’t be here now would i? People always blame the techs but at the end of the day I don’t get to make the final decision on what ultimately gets done. It’s the person in the shirt and tie who has never worked on a car in there life but has done a business degree! Case in point the 145 check everyone automatically assumes that the tech who checked over the car is incompetent or doesn’t care because that have a glaring issue with the car. But the truth of the matter in most causes is sales don’t want to pay for the work to be carried out because it eats into profit margins or wipes it out completely! Again it is the same with warranty i would love to say to the customer yes the issue with your £50k cars brakes is the wrongly sided disc’s and the brake pads and the lack of cooling and i’m going to replace them with better parts but again i can only supply genuine parts supplied by audi available to me through the parts department! I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience through the network but at the end of the day a tech is the bottom rug of the ladder in the grand scheme of things and theres nothing me or any other tech can do because we are not far enough up the ladder. You asked earlier why I don’t reply to every type of issue. The reasons being is that without seeing a car it’s impossible to make a proper diagnosis to your potential issue and secondly its usually met with some sort of angry reply because you are raging with audi, don’t like the truth or you have already made your mind up on what the issue is and don’t care or believe what i have to say!
No, you are completely wrong! on my original post I lauded you stepping in as an expert. Pretty sure I never ill-judged your character, but if I did, then big error. I merely asked where the experts were when there was a really taxing post... I am not raging with Audi either! I never had squealing brakes as I applied the cure before they started..!

Reactions: Tony-c-
So Tony, who puts the flags on the ecu?... is it done automatically by the ecu or at dealer level ?... I’m talking about td1 and tdx codes ?

It’s a bit of both. It’s done automatically via a test plan in odis which you have to manually select anytime you do a svm software update. And also everytime you save a send a Guided Fault Finding online.

Tony do you ever get problems with mileage corrected cars and do they flag td1 as a ecu modification as I know someone who’s just tried to adjust the mileage of their A4 before it goes back at the end of the lease and it’s put a question mark on the mileage on the display lol! but then someone with a vw golf got there’s done no problem do vw not use Odis? And if so why were they able to do it yet this A4 has had problems (A4 is 2yr old on a lease)

No, you are completely wrong! on my original post I lauded you stepping in as an expert. Pretty sure I never ill-judged your character, but if I did, then big error. I merely asked where the experts were when there was a really taxing post... I am not raging with Audi either! I never had squealing brakes as I applied the cure before they started..!

Originally post yes but in the second you basically say i I don’t care about the people who buy Audi’s. And then go on to have a go at techs as a whole in general which in some cases i would agree with you however don’t tarnish us all with the same brush lol. Again can’t really comment on a really taxing post without physically seeing a car without guessing or speculating which is not something i would be happy doing

Tony do you ever get problems with mileage corrected cars and do they flag td1 as a ecu modification as I know someone who’s just tried to adjust the mileage of their A4 before it goes back at the end of the lease and it’s put a question mark on the mileage on the display lol! but then someone with a vw golf got there’s done no problem do vw not use Odis? And if so why were they able to do it yet this A4 has had problems (A4 is 2yr old on a lease)

Can’t really comment on that individual case without seeing both cars lol however i have had milage inconsistencies before. This is usually found when the milage values in the ecu or tcu don’t match with whats stored in the dash panel.

They don’t normally store a TD1 code as it is normally only the dash panel value that gets changed

It’s just made me chuckle as it’s gone wrong on him and clearly something’s gone wrong to have put a ? As one of the digits on the dash panel

It’s just made me chuckle as it’s gone wrong on him and clearly something’s gone wrong to have put a ? As one of the digits on the dash panel

The mileage is stored in a number of places. Often the clock themselves, the ECU and the gearbox but its model specific. If you don't correct them all, you get the question mark.

I'd suggest your friend takes it to someone who knows what they're doing!

I know of someone who bought an RS6 from Audi recently, when it went into Audi for something they flagged it as TD1.......

The owner had not modified it and when they investigated further it was down to a previous owner.

The supplying dealership swapped it for a brand new RS6.

I THINK, my dealership supplied that car! The TD1 was found following a warranty claim for a hole in the block found when the removed the exhaust manifolds. They interrogated the software and found the car had been previously re-mapped and flashed back.

The first screen in ODIS showed it as clean but then when they dug into it, it was found and the coding was dated to before the new guy took ownership.

It was this that brought up the very conversation about tuning and warranty, if its not the same car its happened twice now as this was also replaced with a brand new RS6 as they couldn't find the same spec in the network!

I know of someone who bought an RS6 from Audi recently, when it went into Audi for something they flagged it as TD1.......

The owner had not modified it and when they investigated further it was down to a previous owner.

The supplying dealership swapped it for a brand new RS6.

I THINK, my dealership supplied that car! The TD1 was found following a warranty claim for a hole in the block found when the removed the exhaust manifolds. They interrogated the software and found the car had been previously re-mapped and flashed back.

The first screen in ODIS showed it as clean but then when they dug into it, it was found and the coding was dated to before the new guy took ownership.

It was this that brought up the very conversation about tuning and warranty, if its not the same car its happened twice now as this was also replaced with a brand new RS6 as they couldn't find the same spec in the network!

Pretty much the details I was given about this, a friend of mine knows the owner of said Black RS6 Avant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nervus
WOW............

Reactions: AudiNutta

Please tell me how to emulate this and I will make it worth your while in loadsacash!!
I am looking at year old cars and if I could get one swapped out for new after I bought it would be, well, absolutely yummy!

Please tell me how to emulate this and I will make it worth your while in loadsacash!!
I am looking at year old cars and if I could get one swapped out for new after I bought it would be, well, absolutely yummy!

Get a replacement ecu have it mapped say now then buy a second hand rs in a year the date the file changes would be a year before you bought the car

Reactions: Hal Adams

Absolutely, but I think it was rather a unique scenario that unfolded in a matter of weeks.

Apparently, the RS6 was a high spec, pre-owned but less than 3 months old car. It as mapped by the original owner and flashed back before being sold back into the dealership network. The dealer who bought it in for used stock, did a quick check and there was no TD1 present though it had an engine noise which was going to be sorted under warranty. The car sold, through the network to an individual who had it delivered to him hundreds of miles away. When it was taken to the local dealership for the warranty work, they found a crack/ hole near one of the exhaust manifolds and also found that the car had been previously re-mapped and Audi rejected the claim. That dealer then put it back onto the original dealer to sort.

The individual threatened the supplying dealer with legal action, and they settled by supplying him with a Brand new car they had in stock! There was a guy on the other forum (The one with the militant dictatorship) who bought a used 8P RS3, had endless problems with transmission and ended up with a brand new 8V RS3.

It is because of the ‘suspect ‘ Audi strobing box why I won’t be fiddling with my car any time soon

no sorry... i meant s tronic box!!!

Mr AUDI got his warranty voided .

2018 01 19 213054

If you play with the engine it will void power train which is engine, gearbox, quattro system and suspension.
Your headlights will still be covered though :)

My car is clearly modded (brakes etc) yet Audi replaced my headlight under warranty last week. So perhaps the warranty stays intact for parts not modded? I wouldn't expect them to sort my non standard brakes though.

TX.

Reactions: Terminator x
My S7 has some modifications - nothing to serious, yet......

Anyway, l have a powered subwoofer box fitted and the Bose sub disconnected, and had been having some issues with the MMI system (map freezes etc.). I put it into my local dealer (very mod friendly) and about an hour later they called me up to say that in order to disgnose the MMI issue they would have to connect up to their diagnostics system, and that because of the sub it’s was likely that the system would record a modification and invalidate any MMI warranty. I disconnected the sub, rebooked the appointment and all sorted.

The moral of the story here is this:
  • Be nice to your dealers Master Tech, they are likely to be just as much an enthusiast as you are.
  • Accept that if your going to modify your car, there is a risk of getting flagged.
  • If your going to play in the modded space, you must accept that you may have to pay for any warranty related work, should you get flagged along the way.
:racer:

Reactions: James 123, AudiNutta, The Black Panther and 4 others
Entirely dependant on the dealership. I've seen a few horror stories with warranty's being voided even if the warranty work being carried out hasn't got anything to do with ECU. Probably heard of the story of the guy with his modded seat leon cupra, voided the warranty, dealership informed the finance company and voided his agreement, was left paying for a car he no longer had.

I've left my tuning box on numerous times while it has been in for warranty work, haldex pump replaced twice, haldex pump drained and linkage replaced. The only time someone noticed it was a few weeks ago while having the drivetrain replaced. The techs said it didn't show up on their diagnostic systems and no TD1 flag and were happy to go ahead with the warranty work as they didn't think the box was the direct issue of the haldex issues. On that I think its down to the dealership on how they want to handle it, if they decide not to look at the bigger picture and void the warranty or look beyond that.

I saw a chap at the w/end with paperwork from Audi showing a TD1 flag so they can and do check!

TX.

Reactions: T-800
This is like the new version of not declaring mods on insurance. If your car is modified then those modifications shouldn’t be covered by Audi. Pretty simple.

It gets a little foggier when they start to randomly deny warranty claims for non-associated parts. I can see how they can link rattles to suspension mods, but MMI affected by a remap? Sounds like the dealer just didn’t want the hassle.

Reactions: Phil3