Has an Audi technician over filled the coolant expansion tank ?

Bittern

Reaction score
I had the oil changed in the car as well as the front disc's and pads at the beginning of the week and it looks like the technician has topped up the levels when he did the free health check, but has he over filled the expansion tank for the coolant ?.

I have always kept and i have always thought the ideal level should be between the 2 black lines where MIN is written on the tank ?, but he has taken the level to the seem on the plastic ?

The car has fine all week while driving!, i have only just checked the oil level to see if that was all right after the change and noticed the coolant level

Do i need to take some coolant out or is it ok to leave it where it is

Pic included

Attachments

• IMAG1039k.jpg
    IMAG1039k.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 5,713
Are you looking at the expansion tank with the engine hot or cold? Water between min and max (from memory) is when the engine is cold.

If its driving OK, I wouldn't worry too much, but if you feel it is overfilled, rather than you take the water out, I'd go back to the dealership for a check.

Engine is cold, and I don't want to take it back to Audi for something like that!

In which case I'd say its a tad over-filled and would take it back to at least the maximum.

Reactions: Bittern
Just for reference, this is mine cold (always been that level from new and after the first service):

IMG 38541

If I were you and didn't want to go back to the dealership, I'd send your picture with your question to either/or both Audi UK and your local Audi dealership where you had the service. Then when you get a reply, if they say it's OK keep that email just in case anything happens in the future and they try to blame you for over filling it!!!

Reactions: zippster and Bittern
It should blow out and settle to its correct level.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Bittern
mines the same as S32B's when cold its a month old and id say yours is overfilled.

I overfilled once on previous car.
Dipped in a piece of (previously clean) cloth a bunch of times and problem was solved.

mines the same as S32B's when cold its a month old and id say yours is overfilled.

Yeah that is what mine looked like before it went to Audi

Reactions: zippster
Well it was playing on my mind that it wasn't right, so i just went out and done the trick of sucking it up with a peace of tube then with my finger over the end, pouring it out into a jam jar(4 times).

I will re-check the level after a trip out tomorrow(hot and cold)

Happy now, thanks folks

Pics again

Attachments

• IMAG1040k.jpg
    IMAG1040k.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 2,783
  • IMAG1041k.jpg
    IMAG1041k.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 996
Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68, S32B and zippster
There is a technical service bulletin out to fill coolant to that level especially for cars suffering coolant losses so don't worry about it.

Mine was drinking the stuff for a while and at the last visit the tech filled it to that level and hasn't used any since.

He was surprised that I knew about the bulletin when i mentioned it when dropping my car off lol.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Bittern
There is a technical service bulletin out to fill coolant to that level especially for cars suffering coolant losses so don't worry about it.

Mine was drinking the stuff for a while and at the last visit the tech filled it to that level and hasn't used any since.

He was surprised that I knew about the bulletin when i mentioned it when dropping my car off lol.

Now that makes more sense as to why it was put to that level. I had NO problems before so i decided to take some out as to what level it was before.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and davc
At least you can sleep easily now ;) Always best to ask/check :)

Reactions: Bittern and Rob2k68