Hardwire gps tracker 24/7

slizza786

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just hardwired a GPS tracker to my car which turns on with the ignition. Whilst off I cannot trace the car as the tracker has to send a text message back with the location. I figured that to trace a car would most likely be ideal and easier when the car is standstill which in most situations is when the car is off. I'm thinking of re-wiring so it is on 24/7 but will this drain the battery alot? The manual isn't great English but stated "output energy" is 9-36V DC.

What are people thoughts, would having the tracker always on drain the battery?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have one fitted for around a year now. I wired it in to constant 12v supply and I've never had any battery issues.

there are some really cheap trackers on eBay that take constant and ignition and work really well, try one of those? they deffo don't cause battery drain thats from experience messing about with them on family and customer cars.

Reactions: slizza786
I dr
Do you drive your car often?

I drive to work and back every day. 5 mins each way. Couple of runs In the the evening.

And yeah my one was like €50 on eBay. Works a treat. At that price it would be rude not to have one

Paid about £14 for mine and it's been hard wires to a permanent live for over a yr now with no issues. I use a free talktalk sim I get a part of my home internet package giving 500mb and u limited texts a month. I text it once a week to check it's working. Uses less than 20mb a month and is very accurate considering I've hidden it under the bonnet. No battery issues and I have stop start which works fine and wouldn't if battery was being drained. Even was fined parked up for 2 weeks at the airport.

So I have hardwired the tracker to a constant feed now. I'm just worried if the car doesn't get driven during the weekends will that be okay? It's driven throughout the weekday

Will be fine. I left mine parked up for 2 weeks at the airport on constantly and was fine.

Reactions: slizza786
Lads can you hardwire this into the back off your quadlock if you have a spare pin space for constant power or piggy back off the wire ie solder to the constant cheers

Lads can you hardwire this into the back off your quadlock if you have a spare pin space for constant power or piggy back off the wire ie solder to the constant cheers
Should be fine. I'd use a piggy back fuse for safety