Harder rear springs for an Avant

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
Noticed long time ago, a common thing with Avants that, rear is sagging slightly on the rear, compared to front arch gap.
Thought it would be to do with springs on their way out so had them replaced. They sat slightly better than factory 9years old ones but after a while, they gone down again.
Got used to that but still had it in mind.

Recently I had to replace 3 tyres due to wear so went with upgrade of all 4 in size from 255/35/19 to 255/40/19. Thought it will give me more comfort and increase car height a tad, as have back problems so it could ease it for me?
All was ok for a day or two but noticed it nearly closed the arch gap on the rear of the car, especially loaded or with whole family on board and on some bumps it started to rub arch liners.
Have aftermarket alloys with smaller ET and with tyres, they nearly flush. Also had a proper 4 wheel alignment so camber is spot on.

Read somewhere that, I could go for harder springs to sort out the arch gap.
Did anyone ever sortedt heir saggy rear on Avants in any other way than coulovers?

At the moment, I cannot go back to lower profile tyres or invest in coilovers.
Old tyres on the car in picture
36eaa0c835bde73e88a4225db098577b.jpg

Sent from Huawei P30 Pro

Mine that was older than yours used to get fully loaded up and never felt saggy.

don’t think harder springs are the solution.

Mine that was older than yours used to get fully loaded up and never felt saggy.

don’t think harder springs are the solution.
What other solution you think would be better?

Car goes down now with only full size spare wheel + a couple of shopping bags in the boot, me and wife at the front + 2 kids of no more then 35-40kg at the rear seats.

Sent from Huawei P30 Pro

They will be well past their best, I would also look at the bushes when the car has reached that many miles.

Reactions: KrisKrk
They will be well past their best, I would also look at the bushes when the car has reached that many miles.
Thank you for the advice.
So ... shocks would have to do with how low the car sits?
When was looking into springs replacement 2 years ago, been told that shocks have to with bumps and shocks absorbance, as per their purpose and design.

Sent from Huawei P30 Pro

How does the car ride? If it feels very bouncy then the dampers are shot. They control how quickly the spring compresses (compression) and returns to its position (rebound). Springs and dampers work together, not independently of each other.

Reactions: KrisKrk
How does the car ride? If it feels very bouncy then the dampers are shot. They control how quickly the spring compresses (compression) and returns to its position (rebound). Springs and dampers work together, not independently of each other.
Ride is smooth but I can rock/shake the car by hand. Not sure how does it corners, if it dips to one side, tbf.

Will look into the shocks.
As an Sline spec and car being 12 years old next quarter, will new shocks show signifcant improvement?

Sent from Huawei P30 Pro

If the shocks are originals then new ones will make it feel like a different car.

Reactions: abmat and KrisKrk
Cheers for all replies and advisory.
Any oem shocks brand better than other?
Quick check on ECP show Bilstein as top model for rear with Sash under.

Sent from Huawei P30 Pro

You're complaining about the front arch gap being bigger than the rear ?
What made you think I'm complaining about anything? If you misread my posts with negativity, that is not the idea of this thread.

What's being said is that the car is sitting lower at the rear (rear arch gap smaller) and with changed tyres to higher profile, they rub rear arch liners on dips or bumps.

Any constructive and helpful comments, tips or pointers appreciated.

Sent from Huawei P30 Pro

Yes sorry misread that one because you were daft enough to renew the 123K old springs but not the dampers
Ermm