hard wire DRL

nick9one1

Reaction score
I'd like to wire in the DRL's that are in my aftermarket headlights.

At the moment they work on the sidelight switch only, and when the auto-headlights turn the dipped beam on.

I would like to wire them in so whenever the car is at IGN position 2 they are illuminated. The DRL options in VCDS seem to turn the dipped beam on too, and I dont really want to wire them into the fogs.

So.. can anyone tell me where I can find a switched 12v feed near, or on the headlight loom before I start poking around with the multimeter??

Thanks!!

Isnt there already a vcds tweak to have the drl on even when the light switch is at '0'

Yes, there is. It should be doable with vcds only but since those are aftermarket lights I am not sure.

Yes, there is. It should be doable with vcds only but since those are aftermarket lights I am not sure.
Isnt there already a vcds tweak to have the drl on even when the light switch is at '0'

nope, like I said, I've already tried VCDS and it puts both the dipped and sidelights on.

I need to know what colour/pin etc. provides 12v when ign is on.

actually scratch that, I've had a look and the multiconnector on the back of the light (pin 1) has a switched 12v on ignition.

pin 10 seems to control the sidelights. When i feed 12v to it directly from the battery they come on. Only problem is i get a bulb error now!

Last edited:
I've had a think about this and there's only one way to practically get around it..

basically the car is looking for current draw, if it doesn't see any the bulb must have blown which = error.
because im feeding a second 12v supply into the sidelights the current draw on the original circuit has dropped and causes the error.

so, i think i need to completely isolate the factory circuit, and fool it into thinking the bulb is ok with a resistor. That way whenever the car turns on the sidelights it will always see current draw and not give an error.

a standard bulb is 5 watts and 12v. using ohms law this calculates to be a resistance of 28.8ohms. So basically I need a 5W 30ohm resistor which will mimic the original bulb. Then I can just wire the sidelights into any switched 12v.