Hard to start

bmullan

Reaction score
Have a 08 2.0tdi that is hard to start when its cold takes 10+ goes to start but starts ok when warm.
any help with this?

Welcome to the site.

Coolant sensor maybe, does the temp gauge show any fluctuations when running?

I don't think its the starter either as it would be worse when hot with heatsoak, what about battery, have you checked the readings in the morning before trying to start?

Could it be losing it's prime on the fuel system? I had a car that did that from time to time, was worse if parked facing up hill!

A poorly sealed fuel filter can cause it, might be worth seeing if its tight enough or changing the filter?

it could well be the starter , i may need a software update as well. if the starter doesn't reach a certain rpm when turning over the car wont start .you can get the ecu software modified for this or you could just replace the starter motor .
car starts easier when warm as it doesnt need to crank over as much to start .
have you checked the battery ? maybe it has a cell going down. this would lower the cranking power when cold ,but would start easier when warm as the battery will have more charge .

The car now shows ignition lock defective and will not start but leave it a shot time it will start with ignition lock defective still showing and clears in a few seconds.
car booked in with the dealer for Monday.

Barrel or wiring defective then, swap out & go from there.