Handling - Recommendations to make my car driveable??

Stanley

Reaction score
The way my car sits at the moment means i cant drive it properly fast, as the main thing is the ride height is just far too low.

Im torn between either handling or looks.

Is there a good combination of both?

Basically, whats the best wheel/tyre size combo and also suspension setup? I want to start a fresh..

Its a 1998 A3 1.8T AGU by the way.

Thanks.

Your sig says you have coilovers, I'm guessing theyre height adjustable, do you have thwm in the highest setting, prob Min you will get on them is 30mm lower than standard. If thats still too low consider a good damper and spring combo, be it bilstein dampers or koni or kw, with a lowering spring that only lowers about 20mm, that will give the compromise your looking for.
And tire size depends on wheel size, but for 17's you should run 225/45 profile tires or as close as for good give in the tire.

Im thinking along the same lines!

I have some 215/45 Continentals somewhere to fit and i knew these cheap coilovers were only a temporary idea anyway.

Im sick of having my ARB rubbing on my driveshaft constantly!

Whats a tried and tested suspension kit thats not going to break the bank?

Thanks again!

the arb problem get a underslunge roll bar same as the s3 wont cause rubbing.

if you looking at coilovers still i would say welitec / kw/gaz all great kits but be prepared to pay for them

shock and spring billy b8 and eibach pro springs best set up ive ever used before. but will keep the car looking high.

so its down to you if you want the look or the performance.

a set of kw's with r32 roll bars and poly bushed will help alot same with the billys but you will be looking around 800-1000

Change your Anti Roll Bars to uprated items that clear your drive shafts! this will improve handling by quite a lot. Look for threads by Prawn and TomA3 who are both running 1.8T Sports that handle!

Raise it and space it my man! You'll lose looks by raising it, but regain a similar stance by spacing them back out a touch.

I know your problem though, my daily is too low really, and I struggle on narrow country lanes too. I recently raised it up a tad, and changed to 215/40/18's and spaced the wheels another 10mm all round. Made things much better

Whats the definitive method of sorting the ARB issue then as some say longer drop links, some say shorter.

I may just buy a Civic Type R instead......

Whats the definitive method of sorting the ARB issue then as some say longer drop links, some say shorter.

I may just buy a Civic Type R instead......

nooooooooooooooo not a civic the horible tin can sound please dont lower your self have a look at prawns threads he knows what he is talking about when it comes to handling he goes the ring enough to know how the car handles around corners

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't do that! Lol. Make sure your coilovers are in the highest setting first, then if they already are you know your going to want to replace with dampers and springs like the ones listed above. They arent cheap though really.

Nothing wrong with a Civic. Far more reliable for starters! Standard against standard it is far faster, better handling, looks better and newer also!

Anyway, back to the Audi. I shall change wheels and tyres and raise it up for now i reckon.

Nothing wrong with a Civic. Far more reliable for starters! Standard against standard it is far faster, better handling, looks better and newer also!

if thats the case we should all buy civic's lol

personaly i h8 honda's vtec noise its just sounds like someone has left a bag of spanners in the exhaust but its my opinion any way wheels and tyres what wheels you looking at and tyres i would recomend either.

toyo t1r's
falken 452's

how low you talking the car is at the mo

No no no no no. no civics. Could you really live with yourself, knowing that your microwave had more torque than your car? No. I thought as much.

how far do you want to go mate? how much do you want to spend?

if you want a decent quick fix, that will work, raise it up 10mm, just a fraction, and buy a set of Eibach ARB's, £260 for a full set.

the front ARB will stiffen things up a tad, and the larger hoops will ensure that it never rubs on the driveshaft again. use standard droplinks, forget all this bull about adjustable ones of varying lengths. Standard metal drop links with a decent bar is all you need.

The rear Bar will totally transform the car, it'll no longer be a sloppy understeering boat, but instead, will be nice and neutral, and actually get round a corner without feeling like you're killing it.

On my daily i run cheap ebay coilovers, and a set of eibach ARB's, and it handles just great. The cheap ebay coilovers don't get as much credit as they deserve really, they're not the best, obviously, but for an every day car, they do just fine.

So long as all your bushes are in good condition, you can't go wrong with the coilovers you've got and a set of decent ARB's, it's the ARB's that make such a different on the FWD chassis. Without them, frankly, they're all utter ****e to drive. ARB's are a revalation.

Also, don't settle for anything less than a 25mm rear bar, the eibach kit should be 22mm front and 25mm rear, this is perfect on an A3.

I've run this setup on both my A3's in the past, and done several trackdays and laps of the ring with it, and it's been brilliant for me.

if you want to spend some more money, and go all out, then ignore all the above!

On my track car, I've converted to a full LCR front end setup, and it's amazing.

I'm using:

LCR cast wishbones
LCR hub carriers
LCR steering rack and control arms
LCR top mounts
LCR Weitec Hicon GT coilovers
LCR (eibach) 22mm adjustable ARB
LCR drop links

and the difference is amazing!

LCR cast wishbones are longer than the A3 ones, and are a different shape pushing the bottom of the strut forwards, increasing castor and camber loads.

LCR hubs are longer in the lower section between the hub and the lower ball joint, this lowers the wishbone, in turn making it sit much more flat, correcting the roll centre. (look at your wishbones now when parked up, I bet they point up at stupid angles)

The LCR steering rack is a quick rack, with 2.7 turns lock to lock compared to 3.5 of the A3 rack. Much more responsive, and a bit heavier feel too, which is nice.

LCR track control arms mount to the LCR hubs on the underside of the steering arm, compared to A3 control arms/hubs which mount above the steering arm. this has the effect of keeping the control arms flatter when the car is lowered, reducing bump steer.

LCR top mounts are just loads stiffer than A3 ones, firming things up a treat.

The LCR coilovers, are just the same as an A3 coilover, but they have a Tab on the coilover body to allow you to run the LCR drop links and ARB.

the LCR arb, just like the TT/S3/R32 one goes under the driveshaft, so you never need to worry about it rubbing ever again. I've gone for a 22mm eibach adjustable one, in LCR/TT fitment.

then finally the droplinks to make it all work. these are about 12'' long, and go from the ARB under the driveshaft, up to the Tab on the coilover.

All this kit makes the car so much sharper to drive, turn in is way sharper, and there's actually loads of feedback through the steering for a change.

To compliment all that, I've also got a Neuspeed 32mm Race adjustable rear ARB too, although you can't buy the 32mm bars anymore. they still do a 28mm bar though, which is equally brilliant! much like the eibachs on the daily, the bigger rear ARB really changes the balance of the car. with the 32mm bar, it's really quite extreme. i now get NO understeer what so ever, the turn in is incredibly sharp, and the car is totally predictable, it is however, very tail happy, so you need to keep your wits about you when pressing on.

If you wernt in tartan land I'd suggest you pop over and I could take you out in each car, and see what you thought of them, but i guess that's not going to happen as you're a million miles away!

No no no no no. no civics. Could you really live with yourself, knowing that your microwave had more torque than your car? No. I thought as much.

:lmfao:

that has got to be the best way of explaining a civic yet prawn you are a legend

Cant beat induction roar though! Im the only one out of my mates who doesnt have a Civic haha.

I find T1R's are better for lighter cars as they are very soft. A3 is quite a heavy car for its size.

I shall search for some spacers, fit my bigger tyres and raise it up. See how i get on with that!

Cant beat induction roar though! Im the only one out of my mates who doesnt have a Civic haha.

I find T1R's are better for lighter cars as they are very soft. A3 is quite a heavy car for its size.

I shall search for some spacers, fit my bigger tyres and raise it up. See how i get on with that!

Try the ARB's dude, see my post above if you missed it ^^^

T1R's seem to work pretty well on the A3's, it's not actually as heavy as you'd think either, only about 20-30kg more than an EP3 type R.

My track car stripped it 1065kg!

if it's tyres you're after, check out the Hankook RS2's, or my choice, the Federal 595 RS-R. Awesome tyres for sensible money.

it sounds like your issue is more mechanical though, with you mentioning the driveshaft/arb issue a lot!

Ccivic type r is a load of crap, mate had one, it felt horrible drivin it, and noisy too, it just felt odd, almost like it was made of some scrap metal that was found in a tip

Faster? in what sense?

I have seen around 3 of these off the lights with ease to 40

Also left one on a motorway at 110+

They are gutless, with no throttle response in the lower rev range.

Around a DRY track they may be quicker, but that's because they are lighter and why is the audi heavier, because it's built too last!

Also my mates ctr used to use about 400ml of oil every 1000 miles and the worst thing we found out was they all do it!

Of you really want a great handling car, get an evo lol.

Audi do not make sports cars as such, more exec cars with a bit of grunt!

Reactions: simboti19
Stanley: My cars lowered about 35mm on AP colies. This has totally transformed the handling, taught and precise with lots of feel now through the steering wheel. I was totally surprised at how well it handled after having them fitted. Iv no rubbing/banging underneath.

DC

Ok, first update.

I raised the front up about an inch and its faaaaar better already!

New tyres is next (215/45/17), and im also watching some 25mm hubcentric spacers on eBay as i currently have 10mm spacers on and its still not got enough 'poke'.

Whats the best method for a rear ARB? New or used....

Cheers!

Used ones are like rocking horse ****! It's not the kind of thing you'd ever want rid of.

After Market new is the only option really. Don't get less than 25mm!

Best bet is definitely a pair of eibachs, 22f and 25r