Handling: eliminating understeer / upgraded anti-roll (sway) bars?

Reaction score
History: On my old B6 A4 (V6 quattro TDI, remapped to ~220bhp), there was a common upgrade to replace the rear anti-roll bar with the stiffer RS4 version. This had the effect of almost completely neutralising the understeer, to the point where you could actually get to the point where, if you were on a low traction surface (snow, gravel or wet road), you could feel a little bit of understeer, but then use the throttle to generate very controllable power oversteer. Probably less advisable on to smaller TDI's (narrower, more "spikey" power band), but it was great for the 1.8T/3.2FSI!

A6 C7 concerns: I know with the rear torque bias and numb electric steering, this could be more risky, but I'm keen to get a similar effect on my A6: is there a recommended version of this upgrade for the C7 chassis? As I said, the initial reaction was previously still a little understeer, but overall very neutral.

What to replace? Since I'm only trying to tighten up the rear, do I go for the same as my A4 and only replace the rear sway bar or is there something that ought to be done with the front too? Is there a better way of doing this with the A6?

What to go for? Assuming it's just the rear sway bar: Is the S6 sway bar enough of a step up? Would an RS6 rear sway bar be too stiff for some A6's (since it is a heavier car than my s'charged V6 petrol)? Better aftermarket options?

Interesting question. I've always changed the rear anti-roll bar on my previous cars but they were FWD (Golf MK4 Golf and an Audi A3 8P2)

For me i'd like to improve the steering feel. Its fine at higher speeds but like my A3 it suffers from a lack of feedback at low speeds which for me, makes it awkward to determine when I can start putting the power down

Either way it will be interesting to see what others have done; if anything!

from the threads I read most suspension changes are mainly for looks rather than addressing any handling issues

I think the lack of steering feel is mostly due to the electric "assistance" on steering rack (steering wheel turns a servo, servo turns the wheel = complete disconnect), so short of re-designing the servo's and software to generate some feedback, I think you're stuffed...

The "feel" you get at higher speeds is artificial weighting, not actual steering feedback as to the grip levels that the front wheels are getting....

I'm doing a 180 on this suspension plan: given the level of work required to get any steering feel/fun in these and the jump my insurance premiums would take, I think it'll be cheaper to buy AND insure an old MR2/MX5.... possibly even a Porsche Boxster.... I think I'll keep the snotwagon as-is... mildly remapped and chase the upgrades on other cars....

e.g. regarding the new MX5's, they're too steep now (new donor car = £23k), but I actually like the look of the ND (mk4) MX5 with the Super200 upgrade (200bhp NA, 1000kg)....

But for ~£25k that would cost you, you could get a mk2 Elise (for the ultimate in steering feel) or 987 BoxsterS/CaymanS (V6 and hydraulic steering)....

Keep me posted if anybody figures out the best way to dial out the understeer.... I may be tempted one day...

Going back a few years I improved the steering feel on my MK4 Golf by changing the wishbone bushes for the more solid items from the Audi TT.

I would presume the bushes etc from the S6 / RS6 would be firmer and perhaps help improve steering feel?? Whether or not they fit I don't know as I don't know if the suspension components are vastly different from one model to the next

Never been a fan of the MX5 so for me (if I could afford it!) would be an Elise, Porsche or something of that breed

Porsche would be ~£15k and then £900 to insure.... £1500 if I use it for commuting....
MR2 is <£2k, £275 to insure and £375 with higher mileage and commuting...

You could try this chassis's upgrade
The owner says :

" I was sceptical, big time. But difference is noticeable in the first meters: precise, more direct, better feeling, and clearly it helps decreasing the understeer, really. I love it! "
6ec128273e497b663ad2827fbc9edeb4.jpg
9b5d8e61d9df58402dbe62e3b5660717.jpg
6a65b78210b27f5499242c5d1da75708.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes that's it.
You could send them a email asking about RHD cars maybe they can make one.
Best regards

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk