Handheld radios

Toblahoe

Reaction score
Hi all, don't know which board to put this in so I'll dump it here.

My best mate has finally just passed his test and got himself insured, with all the driving were doing were having trouble communicating and were not going to use mobile phones.

I've been looking for some short range walkie talkies (2 miles maybe?) that are handheld and charge/power off the cigarette lighter, that are handheld or have their own holder to fit on the dash. I'd prefer not to have a huge ariel to wire and stuff.

Can anyone advise which ones to buy?
Thanks

Hi all, don't know which board to put this in so I'll dump it here.

My best mate has finally just passed his test and got himself insured, with all the driving were doing were having trouble communicating and were not going to use mobile phones.

I've been looking for some short range walkie talkies (2 miles maybe?) that are handheld and charge/power off the cigarette lighter, that are handheld or have their own holder to fit on the dash. I'd prefer not to have a huge ariel to wire and stuff.

Can anyone advise which ones to buy?
Thanks
If you use a hand held radio I believe they will be treated as if you were using a mobile phone.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toblahoe
Awwwh damn, I did not know that!

Thanks, saved me from a future police stop!

Reactions: Arcam
I use walkie talkies regularly while out on owners club drives. I know a traffic cop very well and asked him about the legality of them and he said it's a grey area. Not quite the same as using a mobile as you don't need to take your eyes off the road, or leave go of the wheel to press the transmit button, and you don't hold it to your ear. Unlike a mobile, there's no history to look into to prove it was being used, unless on camera. He said I'd be very unlucky to be pulled over for using one.

If it's good enough for Jeremy, Hammond and May ........ :tonguewink:

Yeah I did a little read up about it, depends on the type of radio and such.

Not too bothered about the police anyway not like we're going to be using them next to police cars and we're not going to be having full conversations on them. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: