Handbrake

jimladallen

Reaction score
Hi guys,been looking at an old thread,but nothing on there recently.At least once on every outing me handbrake sticks on.Stop/start is switched off,seatbelt is on,car is in gear,dont have hillstart.Everthing seems as it should be.Any helpful advice please..:keule:

Take it into the dealer.................

Reactions: illingworth22 and jimladallen
On the subject of handbrakes, on my last car I had a little switch for the handbrake, once on you could just drive off and it would automatically disengage the handbrake, is it the same on the S3/A3 or do you have to release it manually each time???

Thanks

Hi guys,been looking at an old thread,but nothing on there recently.At least once on every outing me handbrake sticks on.Stop/start is switched off,seatbelt is on,car is in gear,dont have hillstart.Everthing seems as it should be.Any helpful advice please..:keule:

I had this with my A3, took it to dealer and they said there was no issue. Do you have a manual car? If so, i was told you need to make sure clutch is fully pressed as there is a switch or something that disengages the parking brake. Could've been nonsense though.

Si.

It auto releases once you start to release your clutch with some acceleration like finding your bite point... however this will not happen if you have not got your seatbelt on, the gear is not selected, and also if there are any doors/boot open.. it does work with start stop on, as it works for me everytime.

I have had the occassion though that the handbrake releases before the bite point of the clutch has been reached...

Yes, its once you start to release the clutch and give it some gas.. I just used getting the bite point as an example of what needs to be done, it should release before your bite point, otherwise it will jolt lol

You do need to give it enough revs. Particularly in the diesels, it's easy to pull away with barely more than idle revs due to the torque but this is sometimes not enough to make the handbrake release and you need to rev it a little more.