Handbrake Woes!

boostisbest

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I was having an issue with the offside rear caliper not locking out fully. I tried adjustment but could see the cable was much looser than the nearside. The cable adjuster was tilted more towards the nearside indicating that it was pulling tighter than the offside. I disconnected both cables to make sure they were free and the same length which they definitely appear to be. So I purchased a new offside brake caliper and fitted it. After adjusting the handbrake cable it held brilliantly for the first few days. But it gradually started to come up higher and higher and I could tell it was only acting on the nearside again. After a further adjustment it worked again for a few days but now I am back where I was in the beginning? Any ideas because this is driving me crazy!
:keule:

The car is a 2001 facelift S3 8L

Cheers, Russ.

could be both brake calipers are toast, just had the very same thing on the other halfs passat, needed 2 new ones handbrake like new now

Strange thing is though, the nearside is still locking better than the new offside caliper so I'm going to try resetting them both again.