Handbrake makes ABS and brake warning lights come on

dope

alcoholic pervert
Reaction score
Chaps.

Like it says. Only it only happens if the handbrake is used with the car facing uphill, like doing a hillstart.

When I say ABS and brake warning lights I mean the little red ones in a circle, one says ABS the other has a exclaimation mark in a triangle.

They go out and don't come back on when the key is removed from the ignition, until the next hillstart scenario.

I changed the front pads and bled the fronts last week and everything feels fine under braking. Didn't touch the back at all.

Anyone any thoughts?

check your brake fluid level!

I could be wrong, (not driven my car for a few months) but doesn't the red exclamation mark one always come on when the handbrake is applied? ABS light coming on is a strange one though.

It's full. The front pads were well worn when I replaced them so there was a lot of pushing the pistons back, hence the fluid was already maxing out. Then I bled it, topping up as needed.

I could be wrong, (not driven my car for a few months) but doesn't the red exclamation mark one always come on when the handbrake is applied? ABS light coming on is a strange one though.

I think there's a different one for when the handbrake is on. Something resembling brake shoes round a drum. And it goes off when the handbrake is off.

seems a bit odd!

I mentioned fluid as it only does it on a hill it could have been low fluid exposing the sensor

I would say a scan is in order to see if anything is amiss

seems a bit odd!

I mentioned fluid as it only does it on a hill it could have been low fluid exposing the sensor

I would say a scan is in order to see if anything is amiss

Yeah - I see where you're going with that. It would make sense.

I might change the rear pads. Maybe the problem will go away. Failing that, as you say, a scan it is.

iv never known pads front or back trigger the ABS sensor

they rears dont have a wear indicator either

after reading this again I would check the ABS sensors one of them may have come loose and popping out on a hill then going back in??

also do a scan before replacing anything

stick your location in your profile so people know where you are someone close may be able to offer a scan

I have full vcds if it helps

Thanks for the offer stu. Updated my profile and as you can see we're miles apart!

I guess it's more than probable I knocked an ABS sensor when changing the pads. Not that I noticed them! Are they obvious?

yup they arent far from the brakes have a look you will see them