Handbrake lever getting stuck/rubbing on trim

Tatey35

2011 A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition
Reaction score
Hi all,

Had an issue with my handbrake ever since I got the car a couple of months ago.

Sometimes when putting the handbrake on, I feel like the lever gets stuck after two/three notches and I can’t engage it as much as other times... when it’s really smooth and fully engages without any problem.

The inconsistency is really bugging me, has anyone else experienced this?

I doubt it has anything to do with the lever getting stuck, but I’ve noticed the handbrake lever/ central console is slightly misaligned, so the lever is rubbing on one side of the trim.

Is there any way I can adjust this so I doesn’t rub?

EA816BDD 4BC1 4A2A 8759 80170C45B681

12B27832 7FBF 43BA 88B1 3ABA394C23EA

You could remove the whole centre console and check it is alight ok or you can remove the trim around the handbrake to see if there is anything stopping it engaging correctly and why it lends to one side .
If you are removing console there is a good tutorial for an A4 start / stop switch which shows how to remove Centre Console .

Try actively holding it to the other side slightly & see if the issue stops occuring, if not then it's either pistons getting stuck or brake cables, if the issue goes then it's the console interfering, although I'm kinda not leaning towards the plastic stopping it tbh.

Hi all,

Had an issue with my handbrake ever since I got the car a couple of months ago.

Sometimes when putting the handbrake on, I feel like the lever gets stuck after two/three notches and I can’t engage it as much as other times... when it’s really smooth and fully engages without any problem.

The inconsistency is really bugging me, has anyone else experienced this?

I doubt it has anything to do with the lever getting stuck, but I’ve noticed the handbrake lever/ central console is slightly misaligned, so the lever is rubbing on one side of the trim.

Is there any way I can adjust this so I doesn’t rub?

View attachment 156872
View attachment 156871

Did you get this sorted as I am having the same issue?

Tony

Did you get this sorted as I am having the same issue?

Tony

Not really, there was nothing mechanically wrong with the handbrake. It just seemed to be the positioning of the centre console and didn’t think it was worth the effort of removing the whole centre console.

I ended up rubbing some silicon spray on the handbrake lever and to try and ease the friction, which worked to some extent, but is really only temporary fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, I have just noticed it doing it and I can feel the plastic trim rubbing when applying the handbrake and you can actually see where it has been rubbing.

I pushed something between the seat and console to even out the gaps and it then felt fine, so I might need to shave a bit of the trim off, but not sure why it has started to do this?

Taken the center console off is rather easy a bit time consuming but if you want to get to the bottom off it and learn how to take it apart and see what's underneath it's worth it .
There is a good write up in here about retrofitting start/ stop button A4 look for that and if shows you how to remove console step by step 3hrs off/ on

Thanks for that, I have just noticed it doing it and I can feel the plastic trim rubbing when applying the handbrake and you can actually see where it has been rubbing.

I pushed something between the seat and console to even out the gaps and it then felt fine, so I might need to shave a bit of the trim off, but not sure why it has started to do this?

It’s done it on mine ever since I picked up the car. I did consider shaving the trim but always thought it would look a bit weird however I did it. Might consider taking apart the centre console and repositioning it at some point... don’t wanna create more creaks though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk