Handbrake adjustment

Mohammad-997

Reaction score
Hi recently im having to pull my handbrake all the way up for it to actually stop my car from moving. I checked up how to do handbrake adjustment and i come across this which does not look normal at all to me. Can someone point me towards the right direction please

Attachments

• EF737975-A981-469B-916D-C71567BB7FA0.jpeg
    EF737975-A981-469B-916D-C71567BB7FA0.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 700
Hi yeah that’s not right it looks like the handbrake arm on the passenger side rear has seized or not moving as well as it should. Jack the car up (vehicle in gear, axle stand etc all the good stuff) and spin the passenger side rear wheel. Then check how much you can turn it with the handbrake on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi yeah that’s not right it looks like the handbrake arm on the passenger side rear has seized or not moving as well as it should. Jack the car up (vehicle in gear, axle stand etc all the good stuff) and spin the passenger side rear wheel. Then check how much you can turn it with the handbrake on.

Hi thanks for the response. If thats the case then what should i do in order to resolve this issue?

You could free it off but it’s probably easier to replace the calliper.

You could free it off but it’s probably easier to replace the calliper.

Thing is my driver rear calliper is sticking im guessing which ive noticed today. Ive been getting uneven brake wear as the driver rear is worn out more than the passenger rear so im guessing i would have to change that too?

Sorry I should have asked first was that picture with the handbrake on or off? If it’s off I’d say drivers calliper if it’s on I’d look at passenger. Sorry tired brain kicked in there

Sorry I should have asked first was that picture with the handbrake on or off? If it’s off I’d say drivers calliper if it’s on I’d look at passenger. Sorry tired brain kicked in there

Hi that picture was taken with my handbrake on when sitting at the back it is the one facing your left that looks asif something is wrong with it so im guessing its passenger rear?

Yes but to be 100% I’d take both rear wheels off and check the movement in the arm where the handbrake cable attaches. With the handbrake off the little arms should be at the stop and should move kinda freely. If you’ve got one that doesn’t seem to want to move I’d say that’s your issue. However it’s not uncommon for one to seize and you don’t notice it till the other starts seizing up. I know it sounds extreme but I’d kinda go two new callipers and new pads and discs.

Or you can either replace the one that’s sticking or go for a drive and see which wheel feels hot and go with that one as your problem.

Reactions: bronco and Andreashadji
Yes but to be 100% I’d take both rear wheels off and check the movement in the arm where the handbrake cable attaches. With the handbrake off the little arms should be at the stop and should move kinda freely. If you’ve got one that doesn’t seem to want to move I’d say that’s your issue. However it’s not uncommon for one to seize and you don’t notice it till the other starts seizing up. I know it sounds extreme but I’d kinda go two new callipers and new pads and discs.

Or you can either replace the one that’s sticking or go for a drive and see which wheel feels hot and go with that one as your problem.

Cheers mate that helps alot im probably going to change both callipers ive recently dont my discs and pads also could this cause my car to feel unstable as when im driving on the motorway my car feels really unstable when im doing 70 as if im going to lose control? Its like when its windy and it moves your car?

Yup I know that feeling all too well it’s best to get them done that way you know you’ve got no issues then. The handbrake cables themselves don’t really give that many issues.

Yup I know that feeling all too well it’s best to get them done that way you know you’ve got no issues then. The handbrake cables themselves don’t really give that many issues.

Arghhh the headache i just had all 4 shocks changed too

Looks like balance bar between the two threaded bars is bent. Even so, if the rear brake is binding, that will need fixing first.

Looks like balance bar between the two threaded bars is bent. Even so, if the rear brake is binding, that will need fixing first.

That bar is supposed to look like that it’s just the cables are out of whack because of an issue either at the rear callipers or cables but I’d bet it’s the callipers

I seem to recall mine wasn’t bent as much as that but yeah, callipers need sorting first.

I seem to recall mine wasn’t bent as much as that but yeah, callipers need sorting first.

It’s all about the angle bud it looks perfectly normal when straight but on it’s side it looks just plain wrong. The cables would snap before that bar bends if you think about that bar indirectly has been designed to support the weight of the vehicle.

Makes sense. I’ll try and remember to have a look at mine in the morning.

I know it sounds extreme but I’d kinda go two new callipers and new pads and discs.

I had issues with one brake pad wearing out too fast in the back - turned out to be seized piston. Changed the callipers and pads (did the rotors as well) and life was beautiful again !!