Hand brake adjustment 2.5tdi allroad 2004.

ms1083

Reaction score
Please can someone help. I can't figure out how to adjust the handbrake. I have found the adjuster but the instructions on ELSA just don't make sense. I have removed the locking clip and tried twisting the barrel but little seems to change on the cable tension.
I thnk there is a crude and fine adjustment but can't work it out.

Easier to replace discs and pads......seriously theory is you unclip and wind back the body. 10 years of road muck doesn't let it work.

I think one of my cables may be stretched/freyed/damaged. Have replaced pads on both back brakes as were thin, calipers ok, springs in place etc. but handbrake cable on LHS loose, when re-tensioned the handbrake feels firm again but when you apply it very firmly (which you need to for it to apply the left brakes at all) you feel it "slip" when it does this it does apply the brake on that side but when release the handbrake it does not release the caliper - I have to push the lever up on the caliper to allow the brake to release, its like the cable is too stiff to allow the spring to retract it. Then I go round the whole process of having to retension the cable for the handbrake to do anything on the left side. Maybe its the tensioner slipping? Planning to replace the handbrake cable on that side when it arrives from ebay.

I think it might be the caliper that's the issue and not the handbrake cables...

All fixed. I was begining to worry about the caliper but replacing the affected hand brake cable has solved the problem.