Halogen Bulb for DRLs

They look much better than the normal 'yellow' bulbs. What type did you get in the end?

Just ordered a set of PIAA sidelights and DRL bulbs.. Both are 4150k colour so should match xenons pretty well..

Ill post some pics when i have them both done.. Plus some new rims!!

h5djr said:
No, DRLs are not side or parking lights as they are better described. DRLs are, at the moment, only on A3s fitted with Bi-Xenon headlights.

Dave, my A3 is MY2008 and it has a switch to put on the DRLs. I don't have Xenons. I must check to see if they work!

Like yourself, I have an SE, do the auto headlights switch of the DRLs when they come on by the sensor?

Do you always use your DRLs?

Hi Paul. Yes I use my DRLs all the time. I'm surprised that you have a switch for DRLs on your A3 because it's where the levelling switch used to be to adjust the normal halogen headlights if you have a heavy load in the back. This is not necessary with Xenons as they are required by law to have automatic levelling.

The DRLs do automaticlly switch off whenever the main headlights come on either by me or the automatic light sensors switching them on.

And if you don't have DRL's, what kind of bulb do you require to change them?

The yellowish bulb that I have. I've got Xenons but not Bi-Xenons, just need to know the kind of bulb I need to get to match it with my Xenons. Sorry for being a little slow on the intake, just getting confused with all the differents types of bulbs...

h5djr said:
I'm surprised that you have a switch for DRLs on your A3 because it's where the levelling switch used to be to adjust the normal halogen headlights if you have a heavy load in the back.

So you should be Dave because on consulting the manual and checking again I now realise that I don't have the switch. It just confirms that you should never rely on a salesman doing the handover. The switch indicated by him was the arriving home lights switch!

BTW Dave do you have 16 or 17 inch wheels on your SE, how would you describe the ride and road noise?

BTW Dave do you have 16 or 17 inch wheels on your SE, how would you describe the ride and road noise?

I had 16 inch wheels on my previous A3 2.0TDI-140 SE and I have 17 inch wheels on my current A3 Sportback. Personally I don't notice much, if any, difference in the ride quality between them. As far as road noise is concerned I think the road surface makes more difference than anything else. Appearance wise I much prefer my current 17 inch, 16-spoke design.

HERE is a link to a phote of my current Sportback

Near where I live they have recently completed a new bypass which joins on to the end of an existing road of similar type. Both are dual carriageways. The old road is quite noisey, but the new section is surfaced with the lastest 'quite' type of tarmac that also allows the water to drain through. When you go from the old section to the new section everything suddenly goes very quiet. Also when it's raining there is a lot of spray from the old section which disappears completly in the new section.

My A3 is almost identical to yours except I have the roof rails.

Previously, I had an A4 Avant and its suspension was quite hard. I blamed the Sport suspension and the 17" wheels. So when I went for a new Audi, I went for a petrol A3 SE because it would be lighter and I expected the suspension would be softer. My teenagers felt that they had more space in the rear than in the A4.

The A3 Sport I had on test drive was softer than the A4. However, the SE suspension with the 17" wheels on my A3 is not much softer and the tyres pick up a lot of road noise on "certain" surfaces as you have found. New road surfaces are very quiet. My tyres have very high pressure and this could be a factor in the hard ride. I have Primacy Pilot tyres.

MJZ 6370 said:
My A3 is almost identical to yours except I have the roof rails.

Previously, I had an A4 Avant and its suspension was quite hard. I blamed the Sport suspension and the 17" wheels. So when I went for a new Audi, I went for a petrol A3 SE because it would be lighter and I expected the suspension would be softer. My teenagers felt that they had more space in the rear than in the A4.

The A3 Sport I had on test drive was softer than the A4. However, the SE suspension with the 17" wheels on my A3 is not much softer and the tyres pick up a lot of road noise on "certain" surfaces as you have found. New road surfaces are very quiet. My tyres have very high pressure and this could be a factor in the hard ride. I have Primacy Pilot tyres.

:sign_ot:

I have Primacy Pilot tyres.

The tyres on my A3 are the same, Michelin Pilot Primacys X2E - 225/45R17-91W. I current have them set at the pressures listed inside the fuel flap - 35 front and 32 rear.

I got the same above PIAA DRL's the other week and also got some PIAA sidelight bulbs. Fitted DRL's no problem but I can't get the sidelight bulbs out at all!! Do they twist out or pull? It's such a tight fit it's very hard to get your hand in the back of the unit.

but I can't get the sidelight bulbs out at all!! Do they twist out or pull? It's such a tight fit it's very hard to get your hand in the back of the unit.

You had better start a new thread if your going to ask anything about the sidelight bulbs otherwise 'thebears' will get annoyed and post a 'OFF TOPIC' sign!

But seriously, they do just pull out. I have never tried but, by all accounts, they are very difficult to get out.

At least bulbs are related to the topic. My SE tyres aren't though are they?

Dandle said:
Mine are always on. I coded the back lights so they come on with DRLs as well(also have the lights on the bootlid lit as tail lights).

I know you can set the rear lights to come on with the DRL's - but how do you get the inners to come on as tail lights? Are the bulbs and bulbholders in there already twin filament? So the brighter, 21W filament is the foglight and the 5W is the tail light?

Can this be set using VAG.com?

At least bulbs are related to the topic. My SE tyres aren't though are they?

Only answering MJZ 6370's questions - perhaps I should have been rude and say it's nothing to do with this thread!

So then....

The best DRL replacement bulbs that match the Xenons and dont melt any casings and throw warning lights on the dash are.......

Link please!

mitch78 said:
These are the best in my opinion, and as you can see, I've tried everything.

And no, the 27W rating doesn't matter, they are labelled as being suitable replacements for 21W bulbs.

I confir and i actually think they are slightly dimmer than the 21w of previous, probably due to the blue coating. I've been running mine all day when i drive, no excess heat, no melting and a great "white" light.

with having the sprint blue, the blue of the bulb blends in and more or less looks like a reflection.

h5djr said:
Only answering MJZ 6370's questions - perhaps I should have been rude and say it's nothing to do with this thread!

You could also use PM to communicate about specifics! Was'nt suggesting to be rude, just keep threads on topic!

mitch78 said:
These are the best in my opinion, and as you can see, I've tried everything.

And no, the 27W rating doesn't matter, they are labelled as being suitable replacements for 21W bulbs.

So they don't melt anything on the car then?

AL_B said:
I'm thinking of these...

Not sure if the DRL's are 382 or 380 fitment...

http://www.priracing.com/product.php?xProd=375&xSec=35&jssCart=3eb0019f39945e40bb4789a2d048f33d

PIAA Xtreme White 4150K

My enquiry with Priracing has not yet been answered

AL

Guys,

Just for your info, I've been running these for a month or two now. I have taken pics, but need to post up.

All I can say is I am very happy with the light given off by them, much whiter than the standard bulbs. The only drawback, if you can call it that, is when the bulbs are not on they are blue. Giving the car a "blue eyes" look.

I also bought the PIAA Xtreme White side-light bulbs which are a pretty good match to the Xenons. Would prefer LEDS, but can't be **** messing around putting in resistor packs etc.

So no bulb warnings for me.

AL

AL
ive ordered the DRLs but cant manage to find the Xtreme sidelight blubs on the website.
Would u mind sending me a link for the sidelight bulbs.
So eager to get rid of them yellow lights.
Cheers

Big thread revival here...

Still have my S3 8P - over 7 years old and going strong.

But just wanted to report that only now, after over 7 years and over 50000 miles probably on the PIAA DRL's (car has just reached 57000) - one the PIAA DRL's has blown!

I'll now get some of the mirror finish ones! :)