Half Bose, how to tell?

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So I visited focusy tonight from the b6 section to pick up the plenum and battery cover, top man and only lives 2 minutes from me, small world eh.

Anyway, he reckons I have half Bose and that's why my rear speaker sound is crap, I have a speaker in the parcel shelf and prior to fitting the android HU the overall sound was amazing, had so much punish and crystal clear.

So is their anyway to confirm I have half Bose? If I do then would I be able to buy an adaptor to help with the rear speakers?

i think bose is a complete setup all or none of the speakers, what it might be is some of your speakers are amplified some are not, which complicates where you take the audio source from, i have found from changing mine that matching amplified speakers from line out on HU, to non amplified speakers connected to the speaker outlets from the HU can be very difficult and there are lot of posts with people stumped by it. its something to do with audi amplifiers setup to receive higher signal voltage than most aftermarket head-units. hi-low filters can be used to overcome this.

sorry re-read your original title, you can tell if they are bose by the speaker grilles, bose have bose on them. To tell if they are amplified without seeking out the amplifiers (could be a single amplifier or individual amps on each of the speakers, you need to look back at what the speaker wires connected to on the original HU, if they connected to the pre-out area on the connection diagram then those ones are amplified

Attachments

• Wiring-Diagram.jpg
    Wiring-Diagram.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,614
Thanks for that Tony, will look into that.

Chris my speakers don't have Bose on the grilles.

you could try one of these dani, i have full bose fully amped all round work a treat says it'll do half bose too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252307253937?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

also check out the android rns-e thread in the i.c.e section mate, theres more info in there about the different set ups used

Just looked at this mate and it says it's for noise cancellation which in not suffering with though, so do you reckon it will help power the rears better?

Yeah you either have full bose and full amplified or no bose and half amplified iirc. Tbh ive had both and my full bose only sounds slightly better. Standards are pretty good but i thought it could use an extra 15inch worth of bass! What area are you in? My mate over in bolton wired all mine up and did an awesome job too! Might be worth a trip over to see if he can sort it if your close by.

I tried adding more bass to mine, i found a wiring diagram for the amp which is behind the boot cover right hand side ( non bose saloon) i tapped into the low level amp inputs and remote from there.
It worked ok but being a beautifully sound proofed saloon you dont get much bass in the car.

As for the otiginal post, theres nothing stopping you running a small amp the way i did and hooking it up to the rear speakers, or possibly new speakers.
The possibilities are endless just falls down to cost and how much of you car you want to pull apart!

I ran another amp for the sub, all wires are hidden under the carpet. Sounds really good as it gives the low down bass and the original sub gives the higher frequencies. Had it all fitted by my mate.

So does then extra sub kick like it should? I only had a 12" vibe cbr but its around 400w rms. In my golf it would make your hair tingle, in the a4 it barely sounds any different to the standard, just with a bit more low end growl. Its the sound proofing thats the issue, because if i open the boot or drop the back seats it thumps like a bitch!

Yeah it doe, its 800wrms. Its more to do with it being in a sealed compartment, as you say if you drop the seats its clearer. If you had a ski hatch and opened that it should sound the same as dropping the seats. Subs don't really like saloons as much due to the boot setup. Mines in an avant so the sound travels, it does the same in hatchbacks as well.

Reactions: Lee Hines and maxdrz400
Just looked at this mate and it says it's for noise cancellation which in not suffering with though, so do you reckon it will help power the rears better?

I've got an Xtrons HiLo convertor which upped the sound on the rears ( I have a half amplified system). Actually may have one of these for sale soon too (prob want around a fiver for it posted).

One way to find out what you have definitively is to find your amp and check the part number! I.e. you are looking for item 10 on this page: http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-...2006-03535-electrical-parts-for-audio-system/

I've got an Xtrons HiLo convertor which upped the sound on the rears ( I have a half amplified system). Actually may have one of these for sale soon too (prob want around a fiver for it posted).

One way to find out what you have definitively is to find your amp and check the part number! I.e. you are looking for item 10 on this page: http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-...2006-03535-electrical-parts-for-audio-system/

Well mine must be half amped by the sounds of it.
So how does this xtrons HiLo convertor work Drevil? If you have one for sale that would be great.

Dani having re read this whole thread im guessing the issue you are having is the wiring of your aftermarket hu not matching up with the wiring for the rear amp correctly, so basicly barely putting any power through the rear speakers/parcel shelf subwoofer.
Personaly i would try and find a wiring diagram for the standard headunit iso connector and try and match all the pins up with the after market head unit.
It could be something as simple as the 12v remote wire not being connected on the aftermarket head unit, thus not powering up the amp.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Dani having re read this whole thread im guessing the issue you are having is the wiring of your aftermarket hu not matching up with the wiring for the rear amp correctly, so basicly barely putting any power through the rear speakers/parcel shelf subwoofer.
Personaly i would try and find a wiring diagram for the standard headunit iso connector and try and match all the pins up with the after market head unit.
It could be something as simple as the 12v remote wire not being connected on the aftermarket head unit, thus not powering up the amp.
I have a similar HU, and indeed went through trying to figure out if the amp power wire was in the right place. It was in the end (see the ICE forum for my thread on this).

hi lo convertors, instead of relying on the pre-outs to be compatible with the existing audi speaker amplifiers you use two high-level outputs (speaker) of a car stereo converted into two low-level line outputs from the hi-lo convertors to connect to the speaker amplifiers.

I have a similar HU, and indeed went through trying to figure out if the amp power wire was in the right place. It was in the end (see the ICE forum for my thread on this).

Just searched and can't find it mate.

I think I also tried to show how you connect the Hi Lo convertors in the same thread, let me see if I can dig it out...

dani i got 2 hi lo converters in the shed i dont need pm me your address and i'll get them to you,
dont want out for em, i tried to sort my alternator whine out with them but they didnt work, now its all fixed i have no need for them

Reactions: maxdrz400, Dani_B19 and carlcall
dani i got 2 hi lo converters in the shed i dont need pm me your address and i'll get them to you,
dont want out for em, i tried to sort my alternator whine out with them but they didnt work, now its all fixed i have no need for them

You sir are a legend, thank you so much mate.

no probs Dani, they never gonna get used with me sooo....

you may only need to use one for 2 channels but i'll still put the pair in the post

No worries Matey, I'll give them ago and hopefully it will sort the issue out.