Haldex Service Gen 4.. Change Filter!!

ab1702

Reaction score
Recently bought another a3 this time a facelift tdi Quattro s line with little service history so today it's been in my local garage for a big service. I asked the bloke at the garage to service the haldex while it were there which is haldex oil and filter.
The car I've bought is a 59 reg which has a Gen 4 haldex and according to Audi this model doesn't have a haldex filter or they'll say it's not serviceable so doesn't need changing.
Now before booking my service in I read about the haldex as I didn't really know what it were or anything about it. I came across threads saying that the haldex filter didn't need changing as specified by Audi. I soon came across threads where people have had trouble with their haldex and haldex pumps failing.
There are a couple of companies in the UK that repair haldex and sell the filters etc and they say that because Audi don't change the filters on these models (gen 4) they become clogged up and the pump burns out as it can't cope.
So come today the garage changed the haldex oil and filter for me and it was the first he had done, the first thing he said when I went to pick it up was "it were an easy job but it's a good job you got a new filter as the old one is clogged up and doesn't look like its ever been changed".
My car is on 85000 miles and is 8 year old and according to Audi didn't need a haldex filter change as they don't do them, but my advice would be to get it changed even if you have to take it somewhere other than Audi like I did or even if you have to do it yourself as at some point in the future if you have the car long enough it will probably cause you a problem at some point.
This is the one I bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152462254883 Don't get me wrong it's not cheap for a filter but it's better to prevent any future problems and this is the same filter for facelift a3's and s3's with a gen 4 haldex, the filter part number is 111358. Part number for oil is G060175A2.

Hope someone gets some use out of this and get those filters changed! If the filter was no use and didn't need to be changed then it wouldn't be there.

Reactions: elpistole and BigGraffles
The advice I received from my Audi dealership when I had my S3 (with gen4 haldex) was oil and filter every 40k!

The advice I received from my Audi dealership when I had my S3 (with gen4 haldex) was oil and filter every 40k!

That's odd as Audi don't list the filter on their system so where did they get it from? Ebay?

Agree with the OP, get your filter changed as they clog up and can cause expensive problems as the mileage creeps up.

Reactions: elpistole
It's like a lot of parts for a car, they don't need servicing cause it will last the life of the car. Life of a car from any car maker is 8 years, thats the way they look at it.
Other parts they assume will last at least 8 years are diff oil, cam chains, gear oil, probably some other parts too.

That's odd as Audi don't list the filter on their system so where did they get it from? Ebay?

Agree with the OP, get your filter changed as they clog up and can cause expensive problems as the mileage creeps up.
Even odder they did the oil and filter and charged me £80 for the pleasure.

Even odder they did the oil and filter and charged me £80 for the pleasure.

You probably don't have a gen 4 haldex then, either that or they've just changed the oil. I paid £50 off eBay for a filter kit or I could have got the filter on it's own for about £38 and that's not including the oil which from Audi is about £40 so you've either got an older haldex or they've just changed the oil

Yeah, the filter alone is over £50 and that's if you shop around! They are telling you porkies.

I work for the Pall corporation and can confirm there is a filter as we make them.

Reactions: elpistole