Haldex Quattro system Carista options

Ormesome

Reaction score
Carista has added an option that gives this description:

Haldex AWD sytem setup:

* Standard
* Increased Traction (more power to rear wheels)
* Reduced noise

Anyone changed the settings? is it worth it? will i realisticaly see a difference? avoid like the plague?

IMG 4982

Reactions: lea323ci and Ramayya
Dunno, but more power from the rear wheels sounds like fun. I don't believe it can go more than 50% although I think its possible to have that 50 / 50 distribution kick in sooner rather than later. Essentially reducing the delay and perhaps have slightly less front wheel spin.

I'd still love a button that does permanently 50/50

ESP, ESC or DSP does not control the Haldex.

Electronic Stability Control (ESC) uses the speed sensors on each wheel and the ability to brake individual wheels that are the basis of anti-lock brakes. ESC adds a control unit that monitors steering wheel angle and vehicle rotation around the vehicle's vertical axis. This unit uses the steering and rotation information to detect that the vehicle is about to travel in a direction different from the one indicated by the steering wheel position. Then ESC automatically brakes the appropriate wheel to help the driver maintain control. In many cases engine power also is reduced.

^ Yes.

If a button existed it would be called Diff Lock or something like that (as it is on other cars)

^ Yes.

If a button existed it would be called Diff Lock or something like that (as it is on other cars)
Living in the UK I doubt that you will see any benefit using full time AWD. However, in Canada with months of snow and ice things are different. The Haldex is engaged under normal acceleration, which means pulling into the passing lane in the snow is fine. When one turns out of the passing lane the car is off throttle and the Haldex is disengaged and the car is prone to oversteer. Full time AWD keeps the Haldex engaged off throttle which is a substantial benefit on snow and ice.

If I could manage 80 km/hr in the snow, I would be able to increase that by 20 km/hr to 100 km/hr by pushing the button for full time AWD. It took me years to figure this out. The big improvement is that turning in the snow (with ESP off) keeps the back end planted (less oversteer). At 40 km/hr the car turns sooner by one car width with full time AWD in the snow.

Now I have a 2018 RS3 and there is no need to select full time AWD, because the software takes care of it. After 2 winters I believe the car always selects AWD when needed and I have not been able to get the car to go FWD in the snow.