Haldex pump

Leevr

Reaction score
As you may or may not know my cars in having a new clutch and remap. So far so good. Get a call today. On the test run the car is wheel spinning like a golf GTI. Been diagnosed as the haldex pump. Before the remap they did a haldex gauze filter check and noticed it was completely blocked. I've had the oil changed by Audi as part of my service history but it seems they dont service the filter. Hopefully a new pump sorts it out. Anyone else had the issue of front wheel spin when pushing on a bit?

Mines was the opposite and was the rear wheels spinning (dont ask me why), anyway car was under used car warranty, so I had roadside come out and check and I refused to drive it, once recovered to Audi they confirmed it was the Haldex pump and everything was done under warranty.

It will just be the pump mate. Has the car been new from you ?

My friend serviced mine @ Audi and he said the filter was a none service item so it didn’t get done, even after I explained it needed doing.

I carried out the service myself and it wasn’t a good sight as it wasn’t clean at all even after it had new oil.

It’s on here somewhere. I’m sure once you get this sorted you will not have any issues pal.

Mines absolutely fine.

It will just be the pump mate. Has the car been new from you ?

My friend serviced mine @ Audi and he said the filter was a none service item so it didn’t get done, even after I explained it needed doing.

I carried out the service myself and it wasn’t a good sight as it wasn’t clean at all even after it had new oil.

It’s on here somewhere. I’m sure once you get this sorted you will not have any issues pal.

Mines absolutely fine.
No mate I bought it second hand from Plymouth Audi with 21K. With my clutch issues since 23K I've not really pushed it hard. As I knew a new clutch was inbound I thought sod it and pushed it a bit in the first three gears and I got wheel hopp, quite violent. I put it down to tyres, now I know different. Itll be good to be able to use it to somewhere near its potential finally.

Yeah, if the car was owned buy someone that didn’t give a toss then that’s what has happened.

My clutch was changed at 8k and wasn’t slipping bad at all but couldn’t be on with any hassle so just got it done.

I’d say there’s a few factors that could be the case like you say tyres etc.

There’s plenty of these cars been badly abused and poorly maintained and then folk line yourself have to pick up the pieces.

Yep, had my oil change and filter cleaned... got back in the car and the pump died.

This was my haldex pump. Before and after. Unfortunately it was terminal. New one fitted £220.
Screenshot 20190427 153732 Yahoo Mail
Screenshot 20190427 153739 Yahoo Mail

Reactions: MikeParkin
So my indy wouldn't actually clean the filter for some reason, they seemed to take the "Audi don't, so we don't" attitude, didn't want to do it. I still wonder though what the filter would look like in a few thousand mile time though after its been cleaned...

To be honest I really think it will clog quite quickly looking at the state of the filters. My oil after a year was poor.

Personally I would of thought this should be an annual service given how basic the Haldex service is.

Reactions: oli356 and Leevr
To be honest I really think it will clog quite quickly looking at the state of the filters. My oil after a year was poor.

Personally I would of thought this should be an annual service given how basic the Haldex service is.
I'm off to Audi Monday to show them the pictures and ask them to try and get someone to add this to a servicing schedule. A while back I reported quite a violent shimmy from the car when overtaking at speed. Chances are that this was caused by my car only being predominantly front wheel drive. Also my clutch is coming with me. Turner race developments said it looks like only a portion of the friction plate was actually doing a full job. Loads of friction material still on both sides of the friction plate. They confirmed that the part number for the S3 clutch is the same as the golf GTI.

I’ve had my S3 nearly 4 years mate and seen this on this forum time and time again. I have not used Audi for anything (well only when my mate serviced it etc) because they are very poor at anything.

I do nearly everything myself just so I know it’s done correctly, manual cars are renowned for clutch’s going. I changed mine at 8k and barely slipping but new it had to be done, I could go on and on but that’s the life of cars and modifying cars.

Reactions: Leevr