Haldex problem

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
Hey guys

changed my haldex controller the weekend for a standard one, ever since then its only been front wheel drive. A little oil came out but not alot really. So i put the uprated one back on, and still its front wheel drive. Checked fuse number 31 looks fine. What else can it be? Also how do you check the haldex oil level and change it?
Thanks

I agree, VAG-COM will show if there are any communication problems between the ECU and the Haldex controller. Thats what I would expect to see.

Have you got an ABS or Traction Control light on the dash?

Remind me is fuse 31 one of the ones above the battery. If not I would check them too?

no its the one one in the car. could it be one of those fuses then?! Are you about the weekend at all dave could you have a check over for me?! If it was low on oill would that cause it not to work?

I'm about the weekend Ed, if you make your way over to mine I'll check it for you no problem. Send me a PM.

Dave

Yeah, let us know how you get on.

One of the large fuses under the bonnet over the battery is for ABS/TC communication. I looked at Ballcrushers car on here with a communication prob to the Haldex and ABS and it was a connection to that fuse that was shot.

Well worth a check.

V/C will show this anyway.

Checked the fuses on top of the battery they were all ok! Guess we will have to see what VAG COM says!

well dave check the vag com and after he cleared everything, no other faults came up. Still only front wheels drive tho. So i changed the haldex again for the standard one and changed the oil still not working! If its to low on oil would stop it working? Any other ideas?

Only thing that came up on yours was brake light switch - intermittent.

However, it also came up under the AWD control module, is that something that affects the haldex operation?

Could it be that the AWD/Haldes systems can't see the brake applications to read how to apply 4wd ratio's?

Dave

Well if the hadbrake is aplied, the handbrake has a switch which disables the haldex.

Maybe its the same with the foot brake.....?

Edward: AWD moduile is what controls the 4wd system (All wheel drive)

I would definitely start with the brake light switch if it has come up on both controllers. It would make sense for it to diable the haldex if there was a problem like that.

Its under the dash behind the pedal.

but the brake lights are working fine! They were playing up before, so i adjusted it and works fine now!

Ed, how did you remove the haldex controller. is it easy???

it is if you have a ramp and a ratchet with a pivot on the end other wise it can be tricky getting to the top bolt! I used a small allen key the first time! Why do you need to take yours off?!

got a fault thats always there from vagcom. haldex memory controll error. Was goin to wack it off and see if there was anything up with it!!

it would prob be a electrical prob with it, and i guess the only way to sort it would be a new controller or get someone to repair yours!