Haldex Oil & Filter Change on A3 with Generation 2/3 Haldex?

elrao

Reaction score
Was booked in today for a Haldex Oil & Filter change on my '58 S3 (Facelift Sportback). Apparently my car has the Gen 3 Haldex system, which is sealed for life and so there are no parts listed for Oil or Filter based on my VIN number. According to my service book, an Audi dealer did an oil change about 30k miles ago...god knows what they put in if they did!

Has anyone else encountered this with a similar age A3, did you manage to get the oil & filter changed?? Any part numbers?

Last edited:
Turns out its a gen 2, not a gen 3...but same questions apply about servicing...

According to my service book it was done around 30-35k (can't remember without looking in it). So this is the second time at around 65k. Apparently ETKA lists the wrong oil for my car, but they are using the oil for the TT / R32 with the same unit and rear diff. Still no part number for the filter though, so looks like just an oil change today.

Also, do you know what version of Haldex you have on your 2007 S3s? Apparently the Gen 2 unit was only used for about a year on the S3 (2008), earlier ones may have Gen 1 and later have Gen 4.

Oil is changable on the Gen2 and 3. The filter isn't obviously listed or down on the schedule but it can be physically changed, most don't.

The oil is the usual "special" haldex oil and it should be on the fixed price service for £85 or so.

2007 will be Gen2, Gen3 was facelift onwards really.

I've been told and also read that Audi did not use the gen 3 controller at all, meaning our cars would be gen 2 or gen 4. Cost me £99.95 for the haldex service, should have asked about a discount as there was no filter!

Has anyone got a write up on how to do this yourself? as the filter isn't obvious as the mk4 r32 or older tt quattros

I've been told and also read that Audi did not use the gen 3 controller at all, meaning our cars would be gen 2 or gen 4. Cost me £99.95 for the haldex service, should have asked about a discount as there was no filter!

Yes you are right they didn't use the Gen3 system, it's Gen2 or 4 on the facelift.

Has anyone got a write up on how to do this yourself? as the filter isn't obvious as the mk4 r32 or older tt quattros

It's just as obvious it just doesn't look exactly the same.

Haldex AWD Oil Filter Kit VAG 02D 598 574 A | eBay

Was told mine was a gen 2, but had a cover over the filter more like the gen 4.

Anyway to tell from vcds? I saw something on the hpa website to tell gen 2 or gen 4 based on serial number, but no way to see the number physically.

It's a sportback, which I thought were all facelift? December 2008 I think.

Ah didn't see it was an S3. It's on the crossover point then, could be either but they are obviously physically different as the Gen4 is a one piece unit with the two diff whereas the Gen2 is seperate. Can't remember if VCDS will distinguish between the two but would have thought so as the controller is different iirc.

Going out on a limb I would imagine it a Gen4 unit.