Haldex Oil Change

acer54

Reaction score
I have a 2015 TT mk3, what's the consensus of opinion regarding cleaning the pump suction strainer as well as changing the oil or just changing the oil?
Do many of these haldex pumps fail if the strainer is not cleaned and only the oil is changed?

You need to pull the pump and clean the filter /gauze mate and not just change the oil which I think the majority of main dealers just do. This was the state of mine (Gen4 haldex) at only 20k on my 8U RSQ3... All full of crud and gunk... If the pump goes I think your looking around 700 quid so worth keeping on top of.

Once I had this cleaned up, the "vibration" I could feel when pulling out of junctions went immediately, I guess the haldex was working harder than normal due to the clogging up of the filter etc..

Haldex

The Audi dealership have agreed to clean the gauze mesh strainer as well, comes at a price though, Oil change only £100 and oil change with mesh screen clean £200 - I'm going to have it done for peace of mind.

The Audi dealership have agreed to clean the gauze mesh strainer as well, comes at a price though, Oil change only £100 and oil change with mesh screen clean £200 - I'm going to have it done for peace of mind.

Worth doing for piece of mind.
This was mine at 15k
IMG 1552

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

defo get the strainer cleaned dealerships normally wont touch it...

Yeah for sure Hussy is correct local dealership to me wouldn’t clean the filter also. My solution was to buy a new pump & get them to fit it when you need a Haldex service.

An extra £100 just to loosen two screws and clean the mesh?
What a rip off!
If that was done at the Haldex oil/filter change it would add maximum fifteen minutes to the job. Oh, I just remembered, the Dealers don't change the filter, they just change the oil, hence the reason that it all gunks up as the filter becomes blocked, as they say it's a sealed for life item.
Total BS!
You can get a new filter from several places on t'internet. I get mine from Haldex Repairs by Auto Fault Finder.
They recommend oil and filter change every 40k miles or less, if the car is being used for track work, personally mine will be getting done every 20k miles to prevent that sort of mess and damage to the pump.
They supply the filter, two pump seals and two new bolts and end cap for, I think my last one cost £42-00 + vat.
There's postage to pay too but I can't remember how much that was.
Mine was special delivery which was a next day service if ordered before 1.00pm I think it was.
T'internet and Google are your friend, if you are curious enough, you can usually find resources and contacts who can help you out for a lot less than the Stealers.

Last edited:
Reactions: acer54
An extra £100 just to loosen two screws and clean the mesh?
What a rip off!
If that was done at the Haldex oil/filter change it would add maximum fifteen minutes to the job. Oh, I just remembered, the Dealers don't change the filter, they just change the oil, hence the reason that it all gunks up as the filter becomes blocked, as they say it's a sealed for life item.
Total BS!
You can get a new filter from several places on t'internet. I get mine from Haldex Repairs by Auto Fault Finder.
They recommend oil and filter change every 40k miles or less, if the car is being used for track work, personally mine will be getting done every 20k miles to prevent that sort of mess and damage to the pump.
They supply the filter, two pump seals and two new bolts and end cap for, I think my last one cost £42-00 + vat.
There's postage to pay too but I can't remember how much that was.
Mine was special delivery which was a next day service if ordered before 1.00pm I think it was.
T'internet and Google are your friend, if you are curious enough, you can usually find resources and contacts who can help you out for a lot less than the Stealers.
Doing it myself is not a option for me as I'm nearly 70, of course I would have done it myself when I was younger.

Doing it myself is not a option for me as I'm nearly 70, of course I would have done it myself when I was younger.
Ach you're only as old as you feel.
I'm in my sixties too and still work on the car, granted I tend to do most of my work in the spring/summer as I can't tolerate the cold these days though, recently I've done front discs, pads and calipers.
I also replaced the complete seat set at Christmas, it was bludy freezing mind and I was working with mechanics gloves on, but I got it done.
Stop talking yourself into an early grave man, I've had a triple heart by pass, numerous stents, I'm diabetic, arthritic, Christ if I was a horse they'd have put me down, but I won't give in and I intend to live forever. :grinning::grinning:

Reactions: acer54
Although I have always tried to avoid garages (don't trust them) wherever possible and do all I can myself, or use mobile mechanics who will work at mine with me, the TT is my wife's (2012 2.0 TDI Quatro DSG) and she like it to go to the garage. However now there is no Audi dealer in the Isle of Wight at all (!) so I'm taking charge. Car is now 60k miles and looking through the service book the 'HALDEX: OIL' box has NEVER been ticked (nor have the 'multitronic oil' nor the 'S tronic oil and filter' although one of or both might not apply. So what should I be doing, or getting my mechanic to do, that the garages didn't do? The service stamp book is generic for all Audis so I don't know what doesn't apply. Thanks for any help...
Andrew

Get the the gearbox and haldex done at the same time, especially if both have never been done... You've been lucky you had no issues!

The haldex ideally needs to have the pump pulled and filter gauze cleaned (mine is gen4 on My14 plate Q3) as this can clog up badly and been known to write of the haldex as a result. I get mine done every 20k at most, I think the manufacturer say 30k and main dealers wouldn't clean the filter either.
Gearbox oil changes are usually every 38k or thereabouts.

I have had a look on YouTube and found two videos of haldex oil changes for the MK1, but they have plastic screw-in filters needing a special tool and oil going up into the drain plug hole (which is nuts!), but then I found this guy;'The Humble Mechanic' - youtube.com/watch?v=eTmsq1znWzY and although he is working on a Golf, it has the gauze screen on the pump and the fluid going in through the fill/level hole. Is this more like what I'm going to find mine is like?