Atrus5

Reaction score
Pardon me for posting my Golf R question here but researching online it looks like there is expertise here since Audi uses more Haldex than VW and the S3 is a similar setup to my car. (I do have a Q7 and my son's S4 stores in my shed and I just sold my A4 - which I loved... so hopefully you will excuse me for asking for your help on this Audi forum.)

On to the question...

I have a 2016 Golf R MKVII which doesn't let me move it without the Haldex grinding, dragging and making noise. This is not a little noise. It sounds terrible and the front tires spin struggling to move the vehicle. It does move so it's not like having brake on but with a lot of effort and noise. Luckily this started at home so no towing required and no significant driving since it started.

Here is my diagnosis thus far:
- If I pull the Haldex fuse the problem ends and the car moves around perfectly with no symptoms.
- If I use the diagnostic tool to lock the Haldex and then unlock it the problem ends and the car moves around perfectly with no symptoms UNTIL THE NEXT IGNITION CYCLE.
- Only one DTC set. It is in the Brake module for "implausible signal". To correct it ODIS wants to run adaptation on the steering assist module. I cannot complete the Guided Fault Function because ODIS wants to connect to VW with my vehicle information to gather what it needs to do the adaptation. I don't have this access and can't easily get the vehicle to a dealer at this point so I have read out my adaptation values and reprogrammed (self-test/unguided) what I can. I am unable to Reset Adaptation and there are a few values it won't let me adapt. So this DTC remains set.
- Since the DTC is related to steering and I assume Haldex needs to know the steering angle I'll mention that I did have DTCs set due to lack of steering angle calibration in several modules (not AWD) and just corrected this. The Haldex issue started before I did correct the steering angle.
- The Golf has an electronic emergency brake so I cannot do the "1-click" handbrake test I see recommended for diagnosis of other vehicles.

The Golf has only 14k miles and it is like new underneath (only mention because of connector corrosion mentioned in some Haldex cases).

From what I've read the issues are typically (not in order)
- Controller
- Pump
- Entire Haldex unit
- Broken ground
- Corroded terminals
- Debris in valves
- Fluid/filter change needed (not sure if my vintage needs filter change for maintenance)

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you guys out there might have based on my symptoms.

You'll be better asking in the 8V section as that's the same MQB chassis as the Golf R, this forum is for the 8L which is based on the mk4 Golf platform and uses the 1st generation Haldex system. Hope this helps

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Atrus5
You'll be better asking in the 8V section as that's the same MQB chassis as the Golf R, this forum is for the 8L which is based on the mk4 Golf platform and uses the 1st generation Haldex system. Hope this helps

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'll check into it.

I can't help you other than to say that my rear diff unit went a few months ago which made a horrible grinding sound when it gave up the ghost. I had a long thread about it on here, Audi dealer is blaming my indie friend for draining the differential oil out when replacing Haldex oil (which was not the case). In my case I sorted this out by replacing the whole rear diff/Haldex unit (Audi call this the Final Drive unit) with a used one (can be picked up around £350 on eBay, you can get a decent deal by haggling with the [mostly] breakers as these parts aren't exactly in high demand so they're hanging around).

If you go down that route, just check what part revision you have (your car is pretty new), I think they're on T at the moment. You can go the same or newer but not older. I went from F to L. The Haldex CPU is separate and for an easy life I didn't need to replace it, though for you this may be the issue I suppose...

Hope you get your issue sorted soon!

Reactions: Atrus5
I can't help you other than to say that my rear diff unit went a few months ago which made a horrible grinding sound when it gave up the ghost. I had a long thread about it on here, Audi dealer is blaming my indie friend for draining the differential oil out when replacing Haldex oil (which was not the case). In my case I sorted this out by replacing the whole rear diff/Haldex unit (Audi call this the Final Drive unit) with a used one (can be picked up around £350 on eBay, you can get a decent deal by haggling with the [mostly] breakers as these parts aren't exactly in high demand so they're hanging around).

If you go down that route, just check what part revision you have (your car is pretty new), I think they're on T at the moment. You can go the same or newer but not older. I went from F to L. The Haldex CPU is separate and for an easy life I didn't need to replace it, though for you this may be the issue I suppose...

Hope you get your issue sorted soon!
Sorry about your expense/hassle. Thanks for the info - It's a bad noise but I'm hoping since it stops with fuse out it's not mechanical unless fluid. I'll look for your post. I'm surprised I didn't already.

Unfortunate the dealer didn't stand behind it. I have been wondering if it is covered under warranty since my powertrain warranty is still good. Guess I need to call them although the last time they told me something was covered under warranty over the phone didn't end well. I took it in and sat there half a day for them to just bring me an estimate and tell me it wasn't covered. But they did "fix" the leaking trans drain under warranty - I just had my car up on the lift and I was positive everything was bone dry - no leak or seeping. So they made a few easy bucks off VW to cover their time.