Haldex Gen5 oil change and gauze clean.

Did the oil change and filter clean yesterday. Normally I would only use OEM parts but I thought wtf and ordered the Bilstein oil instead of VW (£20 vs £50). I will only be able to tell any difference from Bilstein to OEM when I change the oil in 20.000km/12.000mi and can have a look at it (I will change the oil and clean the filter every 20.000km after I saw the state of it when changing it this time).

So, my car has done 28.000km/17.000mi, 15 months old and totally stock. The first half has been driven with mixed driving style (both the misses and I drove the car) and the last half with Quattro in Dynamic most of the time and a lot more spirited driving (I was the only one to drive the car):racer:

I just can't understand how Audi have come up with a service interval for this Borg Warner Haldex system to be 3 years regardless of km/mi??? Just look at all the dirt in the oil on the last image let alone the state of the filter :puke2: I will get a JB4 in a couple of months which is why I think a 20.000km oil change and filter clean interval would be a good idea.

Upload 2018 12 16 11 5 19

Attachments

• IMG_0404 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0404 (Custom).jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_0405 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0405 (Custom).jpg
    486 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_0406 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0406 (Custom).jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_0411 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0411 (Custom).jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_0413 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0413 (Custom).jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0414 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0414 (Custom).jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_0415 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0415 (Custom).jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_0416 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0416 (Custom).jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 669
Last edited:
My haldex oil (gauze not cleaned) was replaced at 3years, approx 35k kms.
At 51k kms the haldex pump failed and was replaced last week under warranty (approx 500euro all in), local French dealer says they have been told by Audi France to check and clean the gauze if required. Almost certain that the pump went whilst playing in some snow in the Pyrenees a few weeks back which would suggest the gauze was clogged, pump over heated............new part needed.

Specified mine to be cleaned at a recent Indie service. At only 17k (4 year old car) the oil was filthy and the filter blocked with congealed oil.
I think I will be making this a yearly item at engine oil change time

Haldex pump clean and refill today and it was pretty bad after 3 years and 18,ooo miles. Certainly a massive improvement after though I must say, very satisfied.
DB8BE062 1CDA 4735 9C31 A9E63FD67A3D
84538BEA 4317 467F 8E77 F968DA9D37CF
8E7D80E7 77B1 45A4 B0F2 512965E012EA
9CD8FE48 3353 4346 82C5 C39B9BD39BD1
21EF09B2 3EB8 4A1A BF3C 62F95E9B0DD2
F303B1CA BC42 4005 8474 E95C4419B652

Reactions: Lehn, Mylee and Marky-s3
What causes the oils to get so dirty and clog the filter?
The Haldex system is a stand-alone system and doesn’t mix with gearbox or engine oil.
Like the gearbox oil I would expect it to come out clean.
I can see how easily engine oil gets dirty, there fuel, soot from the combustion that seeps in and the very high temp from the combustion process but can’t see why the Haldex gets like that if anything worse looking than the engine oil.

What causes the oils to get so dirty and clog the filter?
The Haldex system is a stand-alone system and doesn’t mix with gearbox or engine oil.
Like the gearbox oil I would expect it to come out clean.
I can see how easily engine oil gets dirty, there fuel, soot from the combustion that seeps in and the very high temp from the combustion process but can’t see why the Haldex gets like that if anything worse looking than the engine oil.

I think it's the wet clutch. As the material breaks away from the clutch.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Reading all this and seeing the pictures I think I should get ' her indoors ' S3 oil changed.
Almost 18k miles - three years old in March2019.
Occasional 'spirited ' driving, rarely use dynamic, do use the paddles when not hanging about but I suspect she drives more steadily ( but does like it to use the power sometimes !)

How easy is it for an audi dealership to do this? I'm about to take delivery of a 2016 s3, which has just had the oil done according to the service sheet..but probably hasn't had the filter clean. Reckon the service department would have any qualms about doing this when i go to collect the car? how long does it take?

How easy is it for an audi dealership to do this? I'm about to take delivery of a 2016 s3, which has just had the oil done according to the service sheet..but probably hasn't had the filter clean. Reckon the service department would have any qualms about doing this when i go to collect the car? how long does it take?

My independent did it in an hour which included a short test drive and top up after the test drive.

I’m no expert but I think it’s a case of unscrewing it and rinsing the muck off

My independent did it in an hour which included a short test drive and top up after the test drive.

i just checked with my audi dealer and they are asking for £320+ for a filter change. Apparently they have never done it before, and when you change the filter you also have to change the oil again...but i don't think that's right. i think they are just bullshitting me.

i just checked with my audi dealer and they are asking for £320+ for a filter change. Apparently they have never done it before, and when you change the filter you also have to change the oil again...but i don't think that's right. i think they are just bullshitting me.

You only change the filter on the Haldex Gen 4, on our 8V with Haldex Gen 5 it's only a filter clean we're talking about. £320 sounds insane BTW. Do it yourself or ask an independent shop to do it.

Is removal of the solenoid the drain too? Im thinking to do this myself, being lazy and not getting under the car yet. how do I get all the fluid out and where is the fill plug?
Will try to write up a procedure.

Is removal of the solenoid the drain too? Im thinking to do this myself, being lazy and not getting under the car yet. how do I get all the fluid out and where is the fill plug?
Will try to write up a procedure.

Everything you need to know can be found here:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8908177-MK7-Haldex-Fluid-Change-DIY

Removing the pump can be a PITA and is not necessary you can just let it hang in the wire and unscrew the filter to clean it.

An even more general question, Haldex used to be a Swedish company if I am not mistaken, I guess they have been bought over by Borg Warner now? Good to hear there's an alternative now to Genuine oil, price is pretty steep and it doesn't look that unusual, you know in a common man swirls it around in a cup and sniffs it kind of "extensive testing" way :)

My 2016 S4 had an inspection oil service by Audi in Dec 18, at 28,100 miles. I just bought the car last week from a trader, Audi UK customer service cannot tell from electronic service record if the Haldex old change has been done ? According to service book it is due at 3 years (ie now). How crap is that !

My 2016 S4 had an inspection oil service by Audi in Dec 18, at 28,100 miles. I just bought the car last week from a trader, Audi UK customer service cannot tell from electronic service record if the Haldex old change has been done ? According to service book it is due at 3 years (ie now). How **** is that !

S4's have the Torsen system and not Haldex system. Don't know anything about the oil change interval for the Torsen system though.

An independent ( Vagtech in Bletchley) told me best to change gearbox and final drive oil in Torsen cars every three years or 40k.

Sorry guys, typo in my post, I now gave an S3 (8V) NOT an S4 (just sold my V8 S4)!

For Haldex systems and from what I've read here I reckon 3 years or 20k especially if you are capable of doing it yourself. Cheap insurance !

I want to do this over the weekend but read G055175A2 fluid from Skoda was the job (£28) but Ausi told me I need G660175A2 (£42) are they the same but with Audi tax added?

Reactions: lee red
Cheers guys. The same fluid is cheaper at Skoda (double checked part numbers G060175A2 is at Skoda too and the Gen 5 fluid) How can the same 1L bottle be cheaper at Skoda than Audi? ..… I wonder.

Had mine cleaned today. 2014 21000 miles

Attachments

• 54433753_2145319788860275_124438873446023168_n.jpg
    54433753_2145319788860275_124438873446023168_n.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 622
Reactions: MikeParkin
Hi All

Just an update. It's been around 14,000 miles since last oil change and gauze clean. I was planning getting it done at the 15,000 mile mark after the gauze was so bad at the initial 25,000 mile haldex service.

I had a faint drumming noise from the rear when picking away going round a corner so it was in at the dealers yesterday. They replaced the haldex oil and cleaned the gauze filter and said that the noise is away. I have to monitor it over the next few days.

The dealer also said the gauze was choked. It's been making that noise for a while so it cant have been many miles since it started to choke again.

Is it going to be a 10,000 mile or even less haldex service that's required?

That's a lot of hassle and expense. Very poor design.

Cheers

Dave

Is it necessary to carry out a pump learn through vcds if this clean and oil change is done at home? I'm more than happy to do this myself but have read a pump learn should be done following this procedure.

Reactions: w.h.i.p.p.e.t
Not as far as I know. I don’t see why that would be necessary.

Reactions: N.J.H
Is it necessary to carry out a pump learn through vcds if this clean and oil change is done at home? I'm more than happy to do this myself but have read a pump learn should be done following this procedure.

nope

Reactions: w.h.i.p.p.e.t and N.J.H
Anyone used this yet?

Just a side note, I've been driving this for almost 20.000km now without any problems or changes to how the haldex behaves.

So highly recommended. I'll change the oil again soon and post some images of the oil.

Just about to book my S3 in for the Haldex service. Can I insist that the dealer clean the gauze as well as change the oil?

Just about to book my S3 in for the Haldex service. Can I insist that the dealer clean the gauze as well as change the oil?

They won’t do it!
Not in the recommend service, do it yourself or go to an indy!

Easy enough job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fatbloke and Lehn
They wouldn't inspect mine during the haldex service.

The reason they gave was, according to their service procedure, if the pump is removed the seals and the bolts have to be replaced and they didn't have stock of the service kit.

They wouldn't inspect mine during the haldex service.

The reason they gave was, according to their service procedure, if the pump is removed the seals and the bolts have to be replaced and they didn't have stock of the service kit.

Baaah that's BS! Or, their system may say they need it but in reality it's not necessary :boxing:

Upload 2020 1 7 19 46 58