Haldex fault

J

Jamesey78

I tried to launch it the other day for the first time and all wheels spun like crazy. I thought I'd just messed it up, but it's been slip sliding around and wheelspinning since. Checked on carista just now and it's showing the following fault.....
Screenshot 20180112 175120

Anyone got any idea if this could be bad or very bad news? I've booked it in for a haldex oil change next week as I was hoping it was just likely to be that as I don't believe it's had one yet and it's just ticked over 40k.

The filter is known to get clogged leading to eventual failure of the pump.

Are you still covered by the warranty?

The filter is known to get clogged leading to eventual failure of the pump.

Are you still covered by the warranty?

I'm hoping the oil change will have an effect, and I'm assuming they'll check the filter whist doing that. The oil needs doing anyway. I'm not in warranty, no, which is why I'm a bit concerned it might be something big.

Not good.

According to my handbook the service interval is every 3 yrs, no mention of mileage, although I've heard stories of the filter getting clogged as low as 20k miles. On the older gen 4 haldex, the recommended interval was every 38k.

Good luck @ the stealers.

Reactions: Jamesey78
Mine went at18/19k miles...changed under warranty.
Didn't see the potential bill but image it was four figures atleast.

If you get a VCDS error mechanical failure it’s likely to be the transfer box which takes drive from the dearbox to the rear diff. The Haldex pump is a relatively easy fix.

I had this, booked it in to be looked at by Audi, went to Audi on a low loader later that night due to the rear diff failing.

It is still there now, just get it booked in and sorted ASAP. The oil change won't help

I had this, booked it in to be looked at by Audi, went to Audi on a low loader later that night due to the rear diff failing.

It is still there now, just get it booked in and sorted ASAP. The oil change won't help

Sounds ominous :anguished: I'm going to let them know what's been going on and ask them to check the whole thing out anyway. If they find something so be it, at least I'll know either way. If it's a big spend I won't be going stage 2 in 6 weeks :disrelieved:

Sounds ominous :anguished: I'm going to let them know what's been going on and ask them to check the whole thing out anyway. If they find something so be it, at least I'll know either way. If it's a big spend I won't be going stage 2 in 6 weeks :disrelieved:

I'm so glad I didn't bite the bullet and remap as I was so close. Been told this is well over £4000 worth of work :O

Reactions: Rob2k68
My Haldex is gone again! I took my s3 (FL) to Audi in November last year and they recognized a fault and 'reattached the system' (whatever that means!) – it worked fine for two months and now getting the bouncing and trampling effect! Absolute joke this. The master technical said all Facelift S3s will not have Haldex issues! Yeah right!

Is this a different issue to the pump getting clogged?

They didn't describe in full detail what the technical issue was, so yeah maybe it's the same thing; the pump getting clogged, but surely this can't be a regular recurrence. My car has done over 4,000 miles from brand new!

Wouldn't expect it to be clogged up at 4k no - i think 20ish seems to be the going rate for clogging up the filter!

Reactions: OliS3
I assume the filter being clogged will vary depending on the power you're running and how much you use the haldex.

Doing nearly 600 launch control starts isn't going to of helped mine :)

Rather than start a similar thread.

Reported fronts spinning off the line repeatedly in the wet and taking a few seconds to kick in to what I thought was four wheel drive eventually.

After thought was contis being poor in the wet with about 4mm all round and also winter conditions.

Having the same problem in previous car (Tiguan r) I thought it was haldex.

Thanks to Ayr Audi picked up the S3 today with a new haldex pump fitted.

I'm so glad I didn't bite the bullet and remap as I was so close. Been told this is well over £4000 worth of work :O

Holy cow !!

4K must be rear diff I’m thinking then as the transfer box is 1.8k to buy unless they’re replacing it as a complete unit with the gearbox as well ?

Update:

Just got the car back from the dealer, changed the oil and tested, no problems found and all okay. They're saying my tyres are only 2.5mm so that's why the wheels were spinning and sliding. Either way, it's a lot better and launching worked this time. Very relieved it only cost the £109 for the oil change. Stage 2 is still on :yahoo:

Update:

Just got the car back from the dealer, changed the oil and tested, no problems found and all okay. They're saying my tyres are only 2.5mm so that's why the wheels were spinning and sliding. Either way, it's a lot better and launching worked this time. Very relieved it only cost the £109 for the oil change. Stage 2 is still on :yahoo:

There is a big difference between just the fronts spinning and it lighting all 4 wheels up. Glad it is all sorted though

Holy cow !!

4K must be rear diff I’m thinking then as the transfer box is 1.8k to buy unless they’re replacing it as a complete unit with the gearbox as well ?

As far as I know it is a full rear diff and haldex pump. Should hopefully be ready later today.

Another sales guy told me a clutch and flywheel in my 8p was £2600 4 years back though so who knows.

Always thought my car had rubbish traction, turned out I was right and had the haldex pump replaced late last year... was rather glad to have extended warranty on the old beast as the bill was over 1k.

Now just need to get (another) new windscreen...

I got mine back today, very happy. All works a treat

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So, went to MRC this morning for my remap and got told the car is running 2wd and haldex is showing a fault again, mechanical failure. No point mapping until it's sorted. So now got to decide the next course of action. Thinking to go for the cheapest thing first and try changing pump and while it's on the ramp check the transfer box and propshaft are working. Not sure I want to take it to Audi again.

I assume the filter being clogged will vary depending on the power you're running and how much you use the haldex.

Doing nearly 600 launch control starts isn't going to of helped mine :)

old thread being dug up i know sorry but ive had a few occassions either in launch or foot down from standing start where minor squeel and traction light etc. Never when moving even with foot flat down. The car defo feels like its 4 wheel drive when being spirited etc. Haldex serviced in line with expectations (before 40k miles, 3 year mark) but by Audi. Now on 40+k miles and concerned i may have an issue, that is likley not there. I think ive read that haldex issue / traction lighting up etc is clearly visible via traction lighting up frequently even between gears at speed if that makes sense?

Im Stg1 Unicorn / TCU Unicorn mapped, TT intake pipe so a bit more power than normal. Will this of course have influence on the random traction shortfalls?

In summary would a mapped S3 be expected to have some wheel spin etc? This is not clear from what I have taken from various posts?

Hope this makes sense, 6k off next service so not intending to have car on a set of ramps soon...

Cheers
D