Haldex Controller Upgrade Options

midgardcoil

Reaction score
Cheers!

New member here, hope I post in the right place. I'm seriously considering buying an 8L S3 for a daily, have seen some examples, haven't made up my mind yet.

The only fact that's holding me back is the general opinion on 1st gen haldex awd system. Right now I drive RWD and the last thing I wish for is understeer. I've found several threads on haldex upgrades, but there seems to be a lot of misconceptions on the subject (usually going on for 25 pages/thread), and most of these topics are 5-6 years old.

What's up in 2017? Is there generally accepted opinion on 1st gen haldex upgrades/potential? 'Do's and 'Don't's? Is it possible to make a haldex system act more or less like a longitudinally-mounted quattro engine? Any input appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi welcome to ASN.
The best that a Haldex system can do on an 8L s3 is send 50% of the power to the rear, Regardless of the controller you have. Blue Orange or what ever colour . A big improvement in handling can be made with a rear ARB change and suspension bush changes along with other suspension tweaks. The 8L S3 is getting on now so look for a car thats had some money spent on it to sort the suspension. Spend some money on some decent rubber as well.

Thanks, as I've been doing things to my current ride, I'm aware that the most important bits are usually suspension-related.

Still, if I get an AWD vehicle, I'd like to get the most out of it, I'd like to avoid understeer as much as I can. What are these blue/orange controllers? They say they have been discontinued. Also there is some kind of insert which is dirt cheap and supposed to produce the same results as an aftermarket controller, but as I've read might or might not kill the clutch plates. What's the verdict on those? Any other options?