Haldex clutch malfunction

a3 turbp

Reaction score
my S3 has been whining when coasting for a while now and yesterday the whine stopped and my car went into front wheel drive only. I had it plugged into a VCDS and it came up haldex clutch malfunction. I’ve been looking at a few different diffs to buy now but the question is do I replace the whole lot or just the haldex and do I have to replace the haldex controller?

my S3 has been whining when coasting for a while now and yesterday the whine stopped and my car went into front wheel drive only. I had it plugged into a VCDS and it came up haldex clutch malfunction. I’ve been looking at a few different diffs to buy now but the question is do I replace the whole lot or just the haldex and do I have to replace the haldex controller?

No need to buy a diff.
It’s the haldex pump or the controller that has gone by the sounds of it.
There are a few threads on here about it.
The pump burns out when the filter isn’t changed,(Audi don’t change the filter when they service the haldex on facelift models so the filter just gets clogged up and then the pump picks in) or the controller sometimes gets water in them which can cause the haldex to pack in.

So I should be able to just buy a haldex and change that? I don’t know what to do about the controller though as I found a diff with haldex for £250 but it’s £500 with the controller so I do t want to change that if I don’t need too

No, you can just buy a pump for the haldex or if it’s the controller at fault there’s a company online that repairs them.

Try Matt at AutoFaultFinder
https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/ecu-testing-repair-service/
I scanned my one a while back and the clutch pump code came up. As I found out, it's mostly corroded circuitry in the Haldex controller that causes all the grief.
I had my controller done a month back and it's like a new car.

Reactions: a3 turbp
I had this, change the filter, pump and oil first that should sort it out. Haldexrepair have good videos on their site and you can get the parts of their eBay store. Sorted mine out for less than 200 quid.

If that doesn’t sort it change the control module but their not cheap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ive got a old 8p 3.2 and the haldex was giving all sorts of errors. it was the controller. I was told be the repair company if its a gen two the pumps rarely go its always the controller. I found a mob on ebay that tested the contorller for 35 quid. if nothing wrong they seal them so water damage will never be an issue. if broken they had 95% repair rate and fixed mine within one day turn around. it was just over 100 quid to repair and post back. this was 2015 and mines still working.

My concern is that it was whining before hand so does that mean my diff is knackered too though?

Also if I have to change my diff and haldex, would a gen 4 work from a facelift?

Spoke to Alex at AKS TUNINGand he’s sourced me a complete diff with haldex. Now I’ve just got to get it fitted. Does anyone know if it’s best to drop to whole rear subframe?