Haldex broken - no 4 wheel drive

Now you've got it back, straight to BMW and place a deposit for the new M4 GTS. Possibly via a bank with a balaclava on.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Bristle Hound, s3_trev and 2 others
Did they inform you of why the pump was knackered? I would have been asking them how it could be knackered already! I am sure you informed them of how upset you were.

A shrug of the shoulders and "the pump will be sent back to Audi Sir" .......

Oh dear. Doesn't do much to dispel the myth of the Audi Dealership and their ability to actually fix anything does it. With regards to your coolant leak, they probably plugged the car in and when there wasnt anything on the diagnostic readout, then the problem doesn't exist!

Reactions: veeeight
My Haldex problems are not over.

Although the pump has been replaced, I now have AWD back, but

At slow speeds, in a smooth car park, on full lock, I can now hear/feel the tyres scrubbing.

Haldex is supposed to disengage at slow speeds to prevent transmission wind up, it seems like it isn't doing this.

I guess either the speed signal is not working to the Haldex controller, or the controller itself has gone faulty, which may explain the demise of the pump.

No fault codes though, the technicians are going to struggle.

Back to the dealer tomorrow. Again.

Royally fed up now.

At slow speeds, in a smooth car park, on full lock, I can now hear/feel the tyres scrubbing.

Haldex is supposed to disengage at slow speeds to prevent transmission wind up, it seems like it isn't doing this.

I guess either the speed signal is not working to the Haldex controller, or the controller itself has gone faulty, which may explain the demise of the pump.

Royally fed up now.

I have recently noticed this on mine in a car park as well, it felt like the car was struggling for grip turning a corner, I put it down to the painted floor/markings? It genuinely felt like understeer/skipping at 5mph!

Hopefully this gets sorted soon, nothing more frustrating when there are no fault codes.

^ I'm pretty sure mine didn't use to exhibit this characteristic.

Maybe your Haldex controller is faulty?

Anyone else notice this?

^ I'm pretty sure mine didn't use to exhibit this characteristic.

Maybe your Haldex controller is faulty?

Anyone else notice this?

This has me thinking about something last weekend, I pulled out of a slightly offset crossroads to effectively go straight ahead so wheels were turned to the right, as I pulled away normally there was momentary front wheel spin?

Road was dry, sunny day & had been for a few days. I even checked my tyre tread this morning because I was surprised.

Uh oh.

Give it some and see what happens. Should be no wheelspin or TC light on a dry road.

Royally fed up now.

:notworking: It's too bad you don't have the lemon law over there. With as
much problems as you have had with the car, that law would force their
hand at either fixing it or giving you a new car! :lemon:

Reactions: Pulp84
:notworking: It's too bad you don't have the lemon law over there. With as
much problems as you have had with the car, that law would force their
hand at either fixing it or giving you a new car! :lemon:
The sale of goods act makes them do much the same thing though.

@veeeight - hope it gets fixed soon.

Regardless, that is properly annoying - it would suggest they have replaced the faulty part but not performed a proper road test to make sure all is correct.

Last edited:

Royally fed up now.
@veeeight - ****** hell mate! Genuinely gutted for you :(

Will be interesting to her what the Dealer says

I don't know whether its in the equation, but may be time to get rid

Uploadfromtaptalk1439842739372

Need I say more.....? Lol :whistle2:

Reactions: veeeight and Blackwhite

Royally fed up now.

veeeight
Any info on your car? :shrug:

My car is in for the first
check inspection/oil change. (5000 miles)

They gave me a A4 for a
loaner! 《No Key)

Got off the highway and was at a
great cruise. Police up ahead, I
slowed down just in time. Whew!

I hope your car gets fixed tomorrow
veeeight!

Reactions: Pulp84 and veeeight
£199 for oil change at Salisbury Audi. Booked it in yesterday. Cheapest I could find it. What's the damage in North America @Blackwhite ?

Your dealer seems pretty quick in getting stuff in @veeeight. Hopefully it will get sorted soon.

Reactions: veeeight and Blackwhite
£199 for oil change at Salisbury Audi. Booked it in yesterday. Cheapest I could find it. What's the damage in North America @Blackwhite ?

Your dealer seems pretty quick in getting stuff in @veeeight. Hopefully it will get sorted soon.

They told me when I bought the car that the first service / oil change is free
of charge. :redface new:

veeeight

The million dollar question: Did they fix it yet? :bye:

I'm not much help, but I did record your journey with the Audi "technician"

mirada_letal_chuache.gif

Reactions: Jassyo06, Pulp84, veeeight and 1 other person
^^^ great film :)

Reactions: Jassyo06, Bristle Hound and veeeight
Looks like I'm not getting it back anytime soon.

They have uncovered a gearbox (overheat) fault as well.

Looks like I'm not getting it back anytime soon.

They have uncovered a gearbox (overheat) fault as well.
****** hell mate!

Now thats sounds like a new gearbox to me

Hope the Dealer has given you a decent loan car in the interim

"Fragile" comes to mind. :(

I do wonder how mine would stand up to a bit more use and much more "spirited" driving.

Think I know the answer from this thread,,,,,

Finally got the car back. They couldn't find a definite fault, but updated the gearbox software.
But in the process of the fault finding, they hooked up the car to the fatherland, and all my VCDS changes got reset back to as it left the factory.

Ah well. Just got to keep driving it till the fault re-appears, or until I change it, whichever is the sooner.

Couldn't they have done it without the VCDS changes being set back? :sorry:

No real update on mine, in fact they weren't bothered at all, their response was don't worry you p/ex it next week so we'll check it over then. Great customer service on a £30K car less than a year old.

Finally got the car back. They couldn't find a definite fault, but updated the gearbox software.
But in the process of the fault finding, they hooked up the car to the fatherland, and all my VCDS changes got reset back to as it left the factory.

Ah well. Just got to keep driving it till the fault re-appears, or until I change it, whichever is the sooner.
My vote goes for - change it @veeeight

Always wondered when they connected the car up with Germany if all the VCDS settings were lost. Now I know ...
No real update on mine, in fact they weren't bothered at all, their response was don't worry you p/ex it next week so we'll check it over then. Great customer service on a £30K car less than a year old.
Not a very good attitude from the Audi Dealer IMO
Doesn't bode well if (fingers crossed you don't) have any probs with your new RS3

Yes I'm thoroughly cheesed off with it all

I've got an unknown gearbox fault that caused other systems (ACC) to disengage, but they couldn't find a fault all the while it was in the workshop.

It was deemed serious enough to reset all the car ECU's back to as it left the factory.

And they also couldn't figure out why my Haldex pump stopped working, then why my Haldex didn't disengage.

It's not particularly the dealers fault, they can only go by what Audi Technical tell them to do.

All in all, not particularly satisfactory.

My vote goes for - change it @veeeight

Not a very good attitude from the Audi Dealer IMO
Doesn't bode well if (fingers crossed you don't) have any probs with your new RS3

Saw a very different side to my dealer today which I will share in my RS3 write up, taken the shine off it to be honest. I will thoroughly check the RS3 when I collect next Tuesday and as you say fingers crossed no problems afterwards.

Or this for the winter!

Hello.

Haven't posted on here but I will keep it short and sweet

I have a 63 plate s3 stronic

Had it from Dec 13

Coolant leaks:
Nov14
Feb15
Apr15
July15 (coolant burst all over engine bay and they replaced thermostat housing as it had warped. Now a metal thermostat housing)
Aug15 header tank dropping and got told no sign of leaks and pressure test fine
Sep15 header tank now half way between min and max

Now reading this page I have also realised:
1st to 2nd gear change is clunky now and again (like a horse kicking you in the back)

And on full lock my tires sound like they are scrubbing.

IS THIS ALL RELATED!?

Welcome to the Audi Quality Ownership experience :p

Have a read of:

Coolant Leak FAQ:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/page-2#post-2287022

Scrubbing/Rubbing noises at full lock could be driveshaft gaiters:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/anyone-getting-a-rubbing-noise.240968/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2-issues.229341/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/wheel-spin-in-first-and-second.251229/#post-2537814

The easiest way of testing if your Haldex is working is to find a wet grassy field. There are no visible indication lights for a failed haldex pump.