hadlex failure

Moxy89

Reaction score
Hadlex is working in and out, plugged in and it's saying Hadlex pump failure, car has only covered 33k and I've had it serviced 3 times in 10k miles, do you need vcds to change the pump or is it worth doing a service to see if it blocked up

Audi s3 62 plate

Sorry Macy but I don’t understand what you are saying. Haldex working in and out? You had what serviced 3 times? Need a little moredetail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some times the 4wd system hooks up fine, other times I get a lot of wheel spin, the hadlex was serviced 3k ago by aks. Like above getting a error code saying pump failure however most of the time the car runs 4wd

Could be the Haldex controller, it's a common issue. Water and salt gets under the seal and plays havoc with the electric circuits.
Haldex repairs (google them) can repair them quickly and cheaply.

Could be the Haldex controller, it's a common issue. Water and salt gets under the seal and plays havoc with the electric circuits.
Haldex repairs (google them) can repair them quickly and cheaply.

either this or when the haldex has been serviced previously they haven’t changed the haldex filter so now it’s gunked up and blown the haldex pump

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
The fault is stating pump failure, I’ve found a pump and service kit for £240 all in brand new genuine so I’ll get that and hope I can get back out there and bully some more expensive stuff off the line

either this or when the haldex has been serviced previously they haven’t changed the haldex filter so now it’s gunked up and blown the haldex pump
I can’t see aks missing bits of the service, prob doesn’t help the car doesn’t get used and just stays in the garage.

Start with the cheapest/easiest option first. Filter and Oil change on the Haldex might be the answer and only cost a fraction of the pump.
For it to be working and then failing, I'd put money on it being the Haldex controller. Sounds just like mine did when it was failing with the TCS light being on when Haldex failed, and turning off again when it wanted to work (normally by turning the car off and back on until it failed completely).

Start with the cheapest/easiest option first. Filter and Oil change on the Haldex might be the answer and only cost a fraction of the pump.
For it to be working and then failing, I'd put money on it being the Haldex controller. Sounds just like mine did when it was failing with the TCS light being on when Haldex failed, and turning off again when it wanted to work (normally by turning the car off and back on until it failed completely).

surely it would state on vcds it was the controller, it’s giving pump failure codes, surely if I do a oil and filter change then If it is the pump I’ll have to do it all again ?

Also I found a supplier for genuine pump and full service kit for £237. I paid £180 for a service on it. A mate is going to fit it etc so labour won’t cost anything. Think I’ll be fixing and letting it go

I can’t see aks missing bits of the service, prob doesn’t help the car doesn’t get used and just stays in the garage.

the thing is your car has a gen 4 haldex and Audi don’t recognise it as having a filter even though it does have one so they don’t supply a part for it and there is no part number for it.
If AKS work on the same basis then they will have just changed the oil so the filter will still need changing, which if the pump has failed then a clogged up filter is most likely to have caused it.
If the pump has failed then you’d need to change the pump, oil and haldex filter. If not then it’s the controller like davey says.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
If aks supply the filter then he should be looking at the controller being at fault like davey says. Also like davey said he should contact them that do the haldex repairs

Why would vcds say pump though and you lot say controller surely would say controller fault

e31.jpg

Reactions: samuelh_888 and Daveyonthemove
I changed the pump and filter on mine a while back, the filter is a b***ch to get in, I used a big washer to get the extra push required.
Only realised Haldex pump was shot when I was in a muddy field and only the front wheels were moving, VCDS said it was the pump. One way to test it with VCDS is to enable the pump, then get underneath and listen, if no sound, give it a gentle love tap with a hammer, if it starts working, the pump is shot.

I changed the pump and filter on mine a while back, the filter is a b***ch to get in, I used a big washer to get the extra push required.
Only realised Haldex pump was shot when I was in a muddy field and only the front wheels were moving, VCDS said it was the pump. One way to test it with VCDS is to enable the pump, then get underneath and listen, if no sound, give it a gentle love tap with a hammer, if it starts working, the pump is shot.
I’ll just replace the lot anyway

Do I need to use vcds to fit the pump ?

Why would vcds say pump though and you lot say controller surely would say controller fault
Because the controller is faulty and sending a signal from the ecu to the pump. If it'd a false signal it will be a false reading.
It may be the pump but if it isn't then you bought the most expensive part first.
IMO, get the haldex controller off and inspect the seal. If there is any sign of a pin hole or degradation then that is your problem and a cheaper fix than the pump.
If there is no issues with the seal, order the pump.

Because the controller is faulty and sending a signal from the ecu to the pump. If it'd a false signal it will be a false reading.
It may be the pump but if it isn't then you bought the most expensive part first.
IMO, get the haldex controller off and inspect the seal. If there is any sign of a pin hole or degradation then that is your problem and a cheaper fix than the pump.
If there is no issues with the seal, order the pump.
Ahh okay well I’ve ordered the pump and service kit as they seem common to fail, I won’t go stock controller if that has failed anyway