HADECS 3 Cameras

jaypers777

Reaction score
Been reading a lot of conspiracy theories about these new grey cameras going up, especially in variable speed limit zones like the M6 (Stafford to Birmingham). Some debate whether they are active when the variable/reduced limit isn't in force.

What's everyone's opinions on safe motorway cruising speeds in light of all of the stealthy cameras etc?

Reactions: pburv
Been reading a lot of conspiracy theories about these new grey cameras going up, especially in variable speed limit zones like the M6 (Stafford to Birmingham). Some debate whether they are active when the variable/reduced limit isn't in force.

What's everyone's opinions on safe motorway cruising speeds in light of all of the stealthy cameras etc?
Luckily I don't do many motorway miles a year.I was on that stretch of road last year and noticed my speed was creeping up to 80mph(following car in front)....Never got anything in the post..I enquired with someone in work and they told me they are only on when the speed limit is flashing on the signs...I'm no expert so I will be following this one with interest...:busted cop:

When I got caught on a arrow straight part of the M6 by kendal.... no traffic.... great dry light driving conditions.... 200 mile old tyres.... I was cruising at 75 mph driving back from Edinburgh. ... crept past 80 mph without noticing following car in front when overtaking a middle lane hog (only us 3 cars on the M6 for as far as my eyes could see front and back)... A "SAFETY" camera caught me speeding.

Anyways having done the speed awareness course and realising I wasn't doing anything dangerous besides breaking a law.... I do max 75 mph now on motorways. The limit for a conviction is generally speed limit +10% +2 mph. ... but could vary by county. Thus I do about 52/53 through 50 average and if variable limit says 60.... I'd pass through at anywhere between 60/65

Reactions: pburv
There is a very good FAQ section on this site that discusses the new grey cams.
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/index.htm

Seems to me that we will have no leniency, particularly with the bit about the 1 min delay on the overhead gantry speed change, my take on that is that they are active at all speed limits.

There also seems to be a general feel that the 10% plus 2 mph be removed, with the new accuracy modern technology gives. (I know that not all police areas use this and that unfairness seems another reason why some want it removed). The present speed limit was set in the late 60's I think so perhaps time for an overhaul when we look at the car technology (although not sure driving is any better.)

Reactions: amit87
I was a bit of an idiot during the speed awareness course (which I admit I thoroughly enjoyed and found useful for my own self awareness), I mentioned that cars have better stopping power blah blah... and mentioned that top gear test of an SLR stopping from 120mph from a distance in which DVLA say you should stop withing from 60mph. Anyway I shut up when the tutor said "cars are more capable and safer etc etc.... but people's reaction time isn't any different.... who's going to stop first.... A fully awake person driving a old less capable car.... or someone tired and fatigued driving a suoercar"

Had a very good point!

Reactions: traindweller
Variables on the M25 are allegedly on all the time although only trigger above 90mph at times when the variable limits are not in place. I can confirm that a friend regularly travels past them at a steady 88mph with no problems.

The most depressing thing for me though is that as this technology gets steadily cheaper then camera's will be popping up all over the place and you can't argue with a robot so it will be points and nothing else in due course.

TX.

I have seen the M25 ones flash a car speeding when the signs were not on... although I do not know what speed the car was doing

M25 ones seem to be active all the time, and are very flashy. The M1 cameras not so much. The 10%+2 rule seems to have been quietly taken out the back and shot some time ago. I got a camera ticket in 2008 for doing 33mph in a 30 zone.

When I got caught on a arrow straight part of the M6 by kendal.... no traffic.... great dry light driving conditions.... 200 mile old tyres.... I was cruising at 75 mph driving back from Edinburgh. ... crept past 80 mph without noticing following car in front when overtaking a middle lane hog (only us 3 cars on the M6 for as far as my eyes could see front and back)... A "SAFETY" camera caught me speeding.

Anyways having done the speed awareness course and realising I wasn't doing anything dangerous besides breaking a law.... I do max 75 mph now on motorways. The limit for a conviction is generally speed limit +10% +2 mph. ... but could vary by county. Thus I do about 52/53 through 50 average and if variable limit says 60.... I'd pass through at anywhere between 60/65
The M6 in Cumbria is bad for camera vans, I see them every week. I've hear they hammer people for doing a small percentage over the limit but seeing as I know what bridges they park up on I make sure I set the cruise to 72mph in those hotspots.

It's amazing how many folk fail to see them until they are right under them lol. I've seen a few near accidents as people slam on the brakes when they see the vans.

Safety Partnership my ****, it's just another money making machine.

Reactions: amit87 and Pook